It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.C. Panel Disbars Duke Prosecutor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

N.C. Panel Disbars Duke Prosecutor

www.breitbart.com

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A disciplinary committee said Saturday disgraced prosecutor Mike Nifong would be disbarred for his disastrous prosecution of three Duke University lacrosse players falsely accused of rape—a punishment the veteran prosecutor admitted was appropriate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hopefully the Fedreral Civil Rights Commission will investigate Mr Nifong and bring him up on Federal charges.

He Needs some Jail time IMHO.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think the state is looking at contempt of court charges, and the Feds into civil rights charges. This story is far from over.

The exonerated men will (I'm sure) also be suing to at least get their legal fees back (the State should cover that IMO) and then they should get pretty much every cent Nifong has too.

[edit on 6/16/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Nifong...

So he's disbarred, dishonored, and now may, hopefully, face civil rights charges...this just gets better and better, and a more deserving character it couldn't happen to.

Jail time? Naaaah...

The fact he's about to become late night joke fodder is enough humiliation for him. Someone like Nifong is hurt and humiliated more by ridicule than by anything else...that and lawsuits from the families of those kids.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It's past time that Nifong faces the consequences of his actions. I agree the families of the falsely accused players should sue him for every penny he has or ever will have. However, they should also sue the likes of the not so good Rev Sharpton and others who howled for their blood based on speculation not facts. As far as I can see those types started the media frenzy that Nifong played to and are as guilty of the character assassination of those young men as Nifong himself.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This whole thing is ridiculous, imo, but now that the precedent has been set, expect for the 203 men freed by The Innocence Project to start suing DA's all over the country... for real stuff, like serving an average sentence of 12 years in prison, or being sentenced to death.

[edit on 18-6-2007 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The only good thing that comes out of this is a higher public awareness of this problem. If this can happen to 3 rich white guys at a prestigious university, imagine what can happen to poor people (both black and white) without the resources to afford expensive attorneys or get any press attention.

If I was one of these guys, I would rearrange my life plans to become a lawyer who helps such innocent people in that situation.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Apparently Duke University has already reached some type of financial settlement the wrongly accused men. The amount is undisclosed, but I bet it's enough to at least cover their legal bills plus a bit more.

The State and Nifong himself are still prime targets I think. The State probably shouldn't be totally taken to the cleaners since in the end, they did do the right thing, but a few million would be appropriate IMO. Nifong, as I said earlier, should be taken for every red cent he has though.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
HarlemHottie. If those named in the Innocence Project are indeed innocent and have been wrongly imprisoned then yes indeed they should seek remuneration from the responsible parties, and be set free of course.

Real stuff? These kids had their lives destroyed by this self serving glory seeker, it doesn't get much more real than that.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
If those named in the Innocence Project are indeed innocent and have been wrongly imprisoned then yes indeed they should seek remuneration from the responsible parties

Most have been exonerated based on DNA, but here's what usually happens to them.

Many exonerees are released from their cells without fanfare, apologies or anywhere to go. In some states, more services are available to parolees than to exonerees... Any money in the bank before conviction has probably been spent on legal fees. Most exonerees struggle immediately to find housing and work and many bear the weight of a conviction on their record for years before they are officially cleared...Right now, 21 states and the District of Columbia have compensation of some form, but even many of these are inadequate.
The Innocence Project

Real stuff? These kids had their lives destroyed by this self serving glory seeker, it doesn't get much more real than that.

No offense to them, but their lives haven't been destroyed. In all likelihood, they'll go on to college, graduate, get cushy jobs, and move along. I reached this conclusion because I know real-life "rich kids" who got into trouble, but went on to do just that. I'm not just hating.

OTOH, look at Genarlow Wilson- his life is pretty much destroyed.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Those instances are horrible, that is all too true, to say the dukies would have got cushie, is a bit of an overstatement, "oh your those people" or something along those lines.

I don't think your just hating, HH.

new topics

top topics

join