It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uh-oh: keep an eye out for mystery stars (the new star system)...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
what are mystery stars???

i don't know, i just made it up to describe the fact that some threads have completely different star-rating set-ups than others...

this may be a response to an "abuse of star system in certain threads" (actually, it is a response to it)...

so, before we get an official announcement about how it works and etc, what are your thoughts and how do you think it works???

[edit on 16-6-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
got it:

it's based on forums, eh???

EDIT:

maybe it's not just based on forums...

SO seems to have a whopping amount of stars in this thread:

linky...

and yet, in this thread in the same forum, there are only a total of a possible three stars...

hmmm...

[edit on 16-6-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Skeptic mentioned in another thread that there will be a new rating system.

You either give a star to a post, or not.

Then that is totalled. That is why you see some threads with eight stars, etc...

I'll grab the link to that post in just a sec....

here is the post from SkepticOverlord that describes the new system a little bit. (It's still not finished)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/16/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
here is the post from SkepticOverlord that describes the new system a little bit. (It's still not finished)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/16/2007 by Mechanic 32]

yes, i know...

that is why i added this bit:

this may be a response to an "abuse of star system in certain threads" (actually, it is a response to it)...

let's have a preliminary (before the official announcement) discussion about it here

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm just curious what's going to happen when a post ends up with so many stars, the line goes off the end of the page. Will it start another line? Will the stars change color? What if a post ends up with 300 stars?

Very interesting pondering.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
are they laser based? That is all I need to know

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wasn't there a 5 star system?
Or did that all go out the window 5 minutes ago when i went to the dunny

EDIT: ok, I think this new system takes into account how many stars a member already has/how many times they have been voted for, one or the other.

[edit on 16/6/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think it takes into account how many people flag a post. It I think would be a more fair indicator of a posts overall quality.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I think it takes into account how many people flag a post. It I think would be a more fair indicator of a posts overall quality.

You can only flag threads though, right? Not individual posts.. so that wouldnt work.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG

You can only flag threads though, right? Not individual posts.. so that wouldnt work.

Right, however it appears as if the star rating would be just like thread flagging as it would show the overall quality of a post. Given the example above S.O. has a ton of stars. In a thread members can show their individual approval for a post by checking the star icon.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The re-working of the star system is having a most amusing side effect:

People who were deliberately one-flagged in a campaign to have their star counts dragged down now have more stars than anyone else in the threads they apparently offended someone in.

I like poetic justice. It's better than the blind kind.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The re-working of the star system is having a most amusing side effect:

People who were deliberately one-flagged in a campaign to have their star counts dragged down now have more stars than anyone else in the threads they apparently offended someone in.

that's funny...

new topics

top topics

join