It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The body and mind as a weapon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
i like the praying mantis style of fighting in this its my style of fighting !
what is every1s fav style of fighting(not martial art style) i mean cautios ,agressive,cowardly .ect,ect?

Years ago when I got into a fight outside of the ring I practiced my own style. If I was standing face to face with someone and a fight was inevitable, the other guy would usually be ranting and raving trying to pump himself up. I would remain quiet and simply stand my ground. The verbal assaults would continue you know the typical �I�m going to kick your *ss� and other taunts. I would remain silent and motionless just looking into my opponent�s eye, not eyes, but one eye, it�s much more intense. The other person may take on a fighting stance by putting his fists up. I would remain still. At some point I may say �you don�t know me� that�s it, nothing more, this was to create doubt in his mind. You may ask why I didn�t respond to his actions. I believe if you allow yourself to get worked up you�re not as effective when fighting. The main thing was to confusing and to create doubt in the other guys mind. He would usually have an internal dialog with himself asking himself �why doesn�t this guy say anything� or �why isn�t he moving�, and then he starts to doubt his abilities. I always thought fighting was as much mental as it was physical. If you could keep your mind still and calm you are much more likely to be victorious. At that point you own him. I�m not saying this out of bravado, it�s just my experience.

Btw, If you want to throw a devastating punch don�t aim for his face, throw the punch by aiming at the back of his head through his face.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Good point/idea kinglizard. Fighting is definately a lot of mind over brawn. Or, in my case with capoeira, you can use the martial art to weird the crap out of your opponent. The main "stance" in capoeira is called the ginga. It's basically this weird swaying/dance-like movement. When people see it they either laugh at you for dancing, or get freaked out and say "what the hell is that guy doing." It'd definately be a good tool if I ever needed to use capoeira in a fight.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I�ve always liked the idea of martial arts. A lot of the strikes and defensive moves seem so fluid. It�s really art in motion. I�ve entertained the idea of taking some classes but I don�t know where to start. Which one is best?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I�ve always liked the idea of martial arts. A lot of the strikes and defensive moves seem so fluid. It�s really art in motion. I�ve entertained the idea of taking some classes but I don�t know where to start. Which one is best?

I take Go-Ju Ryu although we blend a lot of judo, akido and plain old boxing into it.

I would just go with whatever suits your own personal style and not be worried about adding whatever works for you from different styles

Go-ju is a fast, attacking style that suits me to a tee. It is a close-in fighting style where you really get in their face and stay there. As I have said before you could fight in a phone booth

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Whatever you do, don't take tae kwon do from one of thsoe foolish "McDojo's" you see on every street corner. Try to find a nice, reputable school to train at with reputable teachers. I learn capoeira from one of the best mestres (masters) in the United States. If you're at all interested in capoeira I'd suggest checking out www.capuraginga.com

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Whatever you do, don't take tae kwon do from one of thsoe foolish "McDojo's" you see on every street corner. Try to find a nice, reputable school to train at with reputable teachers. I learn capoeira from one of the best mestres (masters) in the United States. If you're at all interested in capoeira I'd suggest checking out www.capuraginga.com

There might be some good tae kwon do schools out there but we dont have one here and we have a half of dozen of them. Around here they are a joke the rodney dangerfields of martial arts........LOL

Al

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Ive done a lil(well not a lil) Shinto Ryu and am a brown belt

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
iv combined some moves from diffent styles but i dont actually punch i prefer to outflank or get them into holds
if u get him tired out trying to hit u then he will be twice as bad as when he started off.
i like the idea about the mind thing but in my town area these guys are usually drunk so it wouldnt work

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
iv combined some moves from diffent styles but i dont actually punch i prefer to outflank or get them into holds
if u get him tired out trying to hit u then he will be twice as bad as when he started off.
i like the idea about the mind thing but in my town area these guys are usually drunk so it wouldnt work

We go the other way, you should strike first and that should be that.......LOL

If you do it right a fight will only last a few seconds if it takes any longer you need to keep praticing

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
yeah but the real exsperts are the 1s who can make a person fight himself

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join