It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B2 Bomb Bay Question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks to all posters for your responses - like I said, this is hardly my area of expertise. Now I've got some new things to think about!

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Stealth pilots are trained to find targets, open doors, and launch weapons in less than 15 seconds. There's no way that any kind of AAA site is going to see them pop up, and shoot at them in that time frame.

But you aren't going to argue with me Zaph that things like the new nozzle doors and replacing the old frame parts that are high maitenece is a bad thing, right Zaph? Also that any little change like that just helps the chance to get back home in one piece.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

At the time of the B-2 composites weren't in large use for internal structure. The materials that they had to use were very radar reflective, because of what they were made out of. Putting a RAM coating on them would have cut down on the capacity of the bay, because it would have taken up more room. And if anything hit it (wiring from the launcher, etc) it could damage the RAM and you'd have the same problem you have now.

The whole thing is though that it's kind of a moot point. If you're a SAM operator, and a B-2 pops up on your screen, you're going to have to realize you have a target, slew the missiles around to SEE the target, get a lock on the target, and fire. By the time you do all this, the B-2 has dropped weapons, closed doors, and disappeared again. It's all a matter of reaction time.

He is correct. My father just retired from the AF. In his day he was a OSO(navigator) on the B1 bomber, when he retired he was a B2 squadron commander. When I ask him questions about the B2, he aways replies,"Thats Top Secret"...I just laugh..and tell him I got a Secret clearance! Im in the Army so I have a lowley "Secret" clearance. My job dosent require anything more

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
But you aren't going to argue with me Zaph that things like the new nozzle doors and replacing the old frame parts that are high maitenece is a bad thing, right Zaph? Also that any little change like that just helps the chance to get back home in one piece.

Sure it would be great, but you're talking about major structural components. It would almost be a rebuild of the entire airframe to replace some of them. You might as well redesign and build new ones at that point instead of trying to replace them.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Sure it would be great, but you're talking about major structural components. It would almost be a rebuild of the entire airframe to replace some of them. You might as well redesign and build new ones at that point instead of trying to replace them.

Canada_EH,

Buddy, while I like your basic thinking, I'm going to have to go with Zaphod58 on this one. What you want to do would require a structural redesign of the aircraft. To make such a mechanism work, you would need to completely redesign the weapons bays of the B-2. You would also need a different kind of mechanism and motor to open and close the doors. We're now talking about a completely new model of the B-2 Spirit. Also working out and perfecting the Sealing mechanism that keep the seam of the doors from reflecting radar when closed would take quite a bit of R&D. As a retrofit to the B-2, the idea would never be cost effective. To make real use of it, we're talking about the R&D of an all-new Stealth Bomber.

Tim

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If you look at some of the earlier posts as well ghost you'll see that all that I'm saying is in theory. your right a redesign of the B-2's payload doors would be a huge cost while I'm refering to thigs like the nozzle doors and that there replacment makes sence to lower maintence. My other question had been geared at the fact the designs like that could of been employed for the F-23 and 22. Zaph and others have made good points about how short of a time they are open for which I was aware of. I was also under the thought though that anything that can be done to increase survive ablity.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If you look at some of the earlier posts as well ghost you'll see that all that I'm saying is in theory.

Woops! I completely missed that point when I was writing my reply. If we're looking at this on a purely therotical basis, I agree with you 100%! I theory slide away doors would be ideal for the bombbays!

your right a redesign of the B-2's payload doors would be a huge cost while I'm refering to thigs like the nozzle doors and that there replacment makes sence to lower maintence.

Nozzle doors? Are you talking about the exhost nozzles in the engine bays?

Tim

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
not 100% where these doors are located but I think has something to do with airflow and the engine housings. here is the link again for you ghost.
www.wpafb.af.mil...
it has images I just didn't take a real close look at them or the info as it was more so a confirmation that I was looking for in my discusion with Zaph.....

on closer inspection it seems that it could be the doors for the refueling nozzle/housing for A2A refueling.

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thanks Canada_EH,

This is a really good link. I apreciate you posting it for me. While I'm not exactly sure where the nozzel bay doors are, I think I might know what they are. After doing a lot of digging in my books on the B-2, I discovered that the LO exhaust nozzles from the engines need frequent inspection because they are exposed to the high temperatrue exhaust from the engines. While I'm not positive, I believe this is what they may be talking about.

Tim

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I think it is to do with pressuriSation.
Inward opening doors cannot lock against the body of the plane.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join