It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Anonymous Posts: Three problems with proposed immigration bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_107926
From an op-ed piece by Congressman John Shadegg, R-AZ, ran in the Arizona Republic on June 3, 2007:

President Bush's comment that those who disagree with the bill "don't want to do what's right for America" was intemperate and offensive. He presumptuously asserted that anyone who does not support the bill hasn't read it. For those who may not read all 347 pages, let me address just three of the provisions I believe raise legitimate concerns.

First, while it requires that illegal aliens who want a probationary "Z-visa" undergo a background check, stunningly, it provides that if this background check is not completed within 24 hours, the illegal alien is to receive the visa regardless.

Second, the bill prohibits employers from using the newly created system to check whether or not a job applicant is legally in the country before offering the prospective employee a job. Rather, the employer may verify the potential employee's status only after the employee has been hired. Even more bizarre, the bill prohibits an employer from firing or taking any other action detrimental to an employee when the employer receives notice that the employee is not lawfully in the country if the employee files an appeal. Such an appeal could take months or years. Employers trying to do the right thing are in a Catch-22.

Third, the bill treats illegals dramatically better than lawful guest workers. Illegal aliens who come forward may remain in the country forever, while guest workers who enter lawfully may only stay for a total of six years and must leave twice during this period for a year each time. Then they may never enter the country again in this status. Illegal aliens who obtain "Z-visas" may chain-migrate numerous family members; lawful guest workers cannot. The bill will encourage anyone considering illegally entering the country to do so immediately to obtain these enhanced benefits. While the bill requires illegal aliens to prove they were in the country before Jan. 1, securing fraudulent documents or statements to support such a claim will be simple and enticing given the favorable status afforded illegals.

Link to article: Heated emotions won't solve immigration crisis

As I suspected, the president and his cronies are hoping we don't find otu what is really in this legislation before they can ram it through congress.

Spread the word!

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring to the forum. what's up with the illegal aliens getting this preferential treatment?

join