Originally posted by Cug
Often overlooked and not given the respect they are due. So lets dedicate a thread to the Women of Rock
My favorite Women of Rock:
- Granted, not entirely female, but their vocalists are. The "Spooky" album still ranks
among the most hauntingly beautiful albums I've ever heard...
- Whoever thought cellos could be so erotic? I really dig Rasputina. Again, not entirely
female, but the only two people you ever hear, and the cellos, are all female. They are an acquired taste, but once acquired, very hard to stop
listening to. Cabin Fever is one of their better albums.
- She's got a voice that takes me back 60 years and makes me think I'm in a nightclub listening to
Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. I love to put Ruby's Blues on, and sit in the parlor sipping a scotch with my eyes closed.
- I love this band without remorse, and I have no idea why. By all accounts, it
shouldn't exist. Their English is terrible, their lyrics are laughable, they don't even really play or sing that well, but anyone who can turn
"Daydream Believer" into the cutest claymation anime video I've ever seen has my undying loyalty. This band is definitely greater than the sum of
their parts. "Happy Day" is probably my favorite of theirs but I own several.
- Another great chick band. Their album "Viva!La Woman" was one of the first "just chill out,
and relax" type techno albums I'd ever heard. Well...half of it. Half sucked, but the half that didn't was brill.
- Technically only one of their three members is female, but Liz Enthusiasm is their female vocalist, and
usually the only vocalist in their songs. This band made music FUN for me again. I was able to bob my head along and smile, and just have fun
listening to the music without taking it too seriously. "Forever" is a great album, but my favorite song of theirs remains "less talk more rokk",
which was from Guitar Hero 2.
I'm sure people have already mentioned the greats, like Cindy Lauper, Heart, Deborah Harry, The Bangels, the Waitresses, etc... I didn't list them
because I figured they'd be the obvious choices and wanted to pick some that were great that many may not have heard of before.
[edit on 8/24/2007 by thelibra]