It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glaxo Chief: Our Drugs Do Not Work on Most Patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well I don't know how I missed this but anyways.

"The vast majority of drugs - more than 90 per cent - only work in 30 or 50 per cent of the people," Dr Roses said. "I wouldn't say that most drugs don't work. I would say that most drugs work in 30 to 50 per cent of people. Drugs out there on the market work, but they don't work in everybody."

Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), has said that even the most expensive of prescription drugs only work in fewer than half the population.

Dr. Rose also stated that the reason for the lack of effectiveness is that genes in the patients blocks the drugs.

Article Here

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I guess their stock took a nosedive on that news....

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't know why, but I saved that webpage on my HD.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
that is amazing this guy would mention this, maybe he is suicidal?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Which makes me FURIOUS they are allowed to advertise TO everybody!

Great article find.

Rent Brain Candy.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
So I guess this goes to show that Drug Companies are just out to take your money. This just shows that they could care less if you take potentially harmful drugs for no reason just as long as they make their money.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
They're a genetic company. They may make drugs, but I guarentee they're about to come out with a new product, one that will take a genetic "fingerprint" to find which drugs would work best with you. Check this out, to see what I mean:

www.npcnow.org...

I originally read about this in a New Scientist. If this genetic company can create a scare out there that drugs aren't really working on them, people will demand their new product. Or possibly he wants his company to start doing that, and this was just part of the internal politics.

If his statement is true, 30% - 50%, I must be in the minority on all drugs...

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Actually, his statement is quite correct....

they manufacture on the 'democracy principle'--->>

that which does the most good for the most people!!!~~~

sometime in the future, truly customized, drugs & treatment regimens will be offered to the public.
~~~

for myself...this news was delivered via a weekly newsletter:

www.wddty.co.uk...

the outfit is named:: What Doctors Don't Tell You !!!
which has good leads/advice/alerts...free of charge

try it? or no...
enjoy your journey....

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
During the last appointment with my physician, she was explaining various ways to treat a specific infection. She recommended a simple method that can be purchased at any grocery store. She then said that their drugs aren't working like they used to which is why she recommended something else. She seemed very uneasy discussing this topic as if it was a BIG problem. I suppose those drugs that were once effective are becoming less and less over time. I prefer to stay away from prescription drugs.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
So I guess this goes to show that Drug Companies are just out to take your money. This just shows that they could care less if you take potentially harmful drugs for no reason just as long as they make their money.

Oh come on now Jackal... don't stop taking your xanax yet...

What it means and what Dr. Roses was saying in this speech is that due to genetic differences in people the drug that works on one person may not work on the next...
Dr Roses is a geneticist and is pushing his valid belief that with further research in genetics theraputic pharmacology would be greatly improved by attacking illness and disorders at the genetic level.

The speech was not a suicidal ploy at exposing the pharmacuetical industry as a fraud but rather admonishing other researchers to point their research in this direction to make theraputic pharmacology all the more effective.

I spoke to a good friend who's an MD this morning concerning the "Akansas Flu Deaths" thread and we touched on this too -
he said that 90% of pharmaceuticals are theraputic drugs, and that currently doctors have to use a hit and miss tactic in treating disorders.
If one drug doesn't produce results they change to another until they find one that works with that particular patient.

It seems that Dr. Roses is onto something in his research and that the future looks considerably brighter in theraputic pharmacology thanks to his push into genetics.

Wow, I sure did write a long post on something that is totally not related to my professional field....

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sorry,

I just had to vent a little bit. IMPO I tend to think that doctors now days just write prescriptions for symptoms and never actually get to the real problem.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
My comments >>>www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I have always thought most drugs given to patients were more or less for the placebo effect, if someone is told a pill is gonna make them feel better it probaly will. THere are some that are effective like morphine for pain.

new topics

top topics

join