It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History channel shows Iran Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Last night The History Channel aired a program called "Iran: The Next Iraq?". Sorry, I couldn't even find a clip from it ... only this link to order the show. The first thing that popped into my mind was, "oh boy, the main-stream propaganda has really kicked in."

It wasn't quite what I expected it to be. I thought it'd be the normal Hezbohla anti-american story, which to a major point, it was. It told the story of Iran's history from 500 B.C. up until recently. It also told how British and American's forgein policy has fueled the Anti-American/Anti-Zionist sentiment since the mid 50's after Iran's people over-threw the U.S. backed shaw at that time (whom, by the way, was developing Iran's orginal nuclear technology. It discussed the Iran-Iraq war and showed how America stepped in to help when Iran invaded Kuwait. It went on to discuss how they developed nuclear technology and how many people view Iran's intent is to make weapons of mass destruction.

I didn't get to see the entire show because it came on late and I had to crash out at 2:00. So, if anyone seen this show and I mis-state a point, please correct me. To an extent, I do think it was a propaganda of sorts, in the fact that in the presentation it leaned toward the Anti-American rallies they have every year and also place a large part of the point on that fact that Iran had built it's nuclear research facilities underground to withstand air bombardment. But, in another sense, it factually showed the history of Iran and how they've arrived at the point they reside at today. It even showed a small clip of one of their annual rallies that featured a banner that stated something to the point of, "People of America, we don't hate you, we hate your government." So, I can't say that this show was full on Iran-bashing propaganda. Also, as I said, I didn't get to see the end, but being that the show was called "Iran: The Next Iraq?" I would think that it would have some sort of anti-invasion/attack sentiment to it.

What really worries me is that the main-stream propaganda has really kicked in. It's one thing to show the the American/Iranian dispute on the news, or even have "Specials" about it on broadcast television. Half of America is watching cable and could care less about the news, or what's going on in the world. Now that it's spilling over to cable television and we're seeing articles published on the dispute daily in not only newspapers, but magazines as well, it's really began to worry me that the government is trying to reach all aspects of America's population with this anti-Iran propaganda. Especially since Dr Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency has expressed his concern.

It seems to be working:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
A very strange thing. During the Iran/Iraq war we (The USA) were helping the Iraqis's and Israel was supplying Iran with arms that were confiscated from lebanon during their own war with Lebanon. Should there be a surprise that they both hate us equally (Israel and the USA)? Rather then our trying to stop the war between the two allied countries we basically prolonged it and helped both sides to kill each other.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I saw it sporadically last night but I went to bed before it was over.

I found it a bit nerve wracking that they annually have anti-US rallies...it kinda made me nervous.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Rather then our trying to stop the war between the two allied countries we basically prolonged it and helped both sides to kill each other.

You can probably chalk that up to the America Eugenics Society and the elite ruling class in America. Most of it is a conspiracy theory, but indeed the American Eugenics Society did exsist.

I think this internal conflict one of the reasons we've gone into Iraq.
Now take a look at this propaganda:
Full Article

"The Shia and Sunni extremists are different faces of the same totalitarian threat," the president said. "Whatever slogans they chant, when they slaughter the innocent, they have the same wicked purposes. They want to kill Americans, kill democracy in the Middle East, and gain the weapons to kill on an even more horrific scale."

I think the reason the government is now patrolling the internet is to control this media as well. All these articles and information is out there for anyone to see, and they can't control it like they can the national media. Again and again, he's stated that terrorist want to kill Americans. I'm sure there are a handfull of people in these groups that do have an extreme anti-American resentment, but I don't think it's near as rampant as this administration makes it seem.

Simple propaganda to promote America's foreign policy.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
should we send a warning to australia just in case one of these guys ends up in the US armed forces or ends up commanding a navel or air force to be ready to evacuate?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Iran has a very interesting history and the premise that we are responsable for the rise of the present regime is correct in a broad scence.

We are spending untold billions trying (and failing) to establish a democracy in Iraq, when the CIA at the behest of the British (who were pissed that thier oil conscesion in Iran had been nationlized) deposed Mohammed Mosadeq and set up the Shah in his place. Thus leads to the rise of Khomeni etc.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You feel it's propaganda? I didn't fell that at all. I guess I was the only one who watched it through it's entierty, but never did I once feel was it propaganda. I most certainly don't want to invade Iran, seemed to me they just layed out the facts from our media in front of you, so that you may make your own decision on Iran. If it were propaganda it would only be half truth's or none at all to sway the public into one side. It may have been biased, the media in general is, but it didn't feel like propaganda.

-Reform America

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reform America
You feel it's propaganda? I didn't fell that at all. I guess I was the only one who watched it through it's entierty, but never did I once feel was it propaganda. I most certainly don't want to invade Iran, seemed to me they just layed out the facts from our media in front of you, so that you may make your own decision on Iran. If it were propaganda it would only be half truth's or none at all to sway the public into one side. It may have been biased, the media in general is, but it didn't feel like propaganda.

-Reform America

You have a point, but I think it can go both ways. Though, no lies were told about Iran, it certainly didn't tell the whole story. The program may have presented a couple of points about the backing of the Shaw in the 50's, it certainly failed to mention how the U.N.'s policies have fuels wars throughout the Middle East for nearly a century. Though it presented the facts of America's involvement at certain points in time to cause the rise of Anti-American sentiment, I felt (from what I viewed) it spent much more time on the hate for America than it show for the reason's being.

Biased

A bias is a prejudice in a general or specific sense, usually in the sense for having a preference to one particular point of view or ideological perspective.

Propaganda

Propaganda is a type of message aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people...

...The aim of propagandism is to influence people's opinions or behaviors actively, rather than merely to communicate the facts about something. For example, propaganda might be used to garner either support or disapproval of a certain position...

...What separates propagandism from "normal" communication is in ways by which the message attempts to shape opinion or behavior, which are often subtle and insidious among other characteristics.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I found it a bit nerve wracking that they annually have anti-US rallies...it kinda made me nervous.

welcome to the world honey, lol .. no pun intended.

because of the past 6-7 years, the world basicly hates us (USA/Americans), and our allies in europe and elsewhere are even distancing themselves from us and are trying not to be lumped into the same category as us and say, the U.K., because they dont want terrorist attacks to happen on their home soils too. But what they dont get is, the terrorists will hit any country they can, its all about who has the least amount of security, then they hit that place. It could be anywhere in Europe, or Asia, or even the Americas.

so no one is immune. i just hope the european nations know that so that they dont go screwing themselves by burning their post WW2 "U.S. bridge" only to find themselves entrenched in terrorism warfare and other militant islam any damn ways. because they really dont care.. the militants.. i mean, most european nations printed their own copies of the mohammad cartoon in their newspapers, so any member country of the E.U. is hated by the muslim radicals just as much as the U.K, the U.S.A., and maybe even Israel.

Eh.. who cares, we've always had that "we'll go it alone if we have to until you all realize that its perilous for you to sit idle" attitude. We're Freakin' AMERRRRICINZ man. Just wait for the democratic party presidency of 2008 and onward, or 2009 is when they'd start i think, anyways. theyre going to be trying to mend foreign relations, but its tooooooo late.. theres a world axis of factions aligned against us, the Israelis, and the Europeans/Aussies too. Some just dont know it yet, thats all.

The funny thing is, most of those factions arent even nation states.. they are terrorist groups or states within states, if you know what i mean.

[edit on 6/3/2007 by runetang]

top topics

join