It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What To Do When You Rarely Receive An Applause; A Member's View

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
First of all, let me say that ATS is a great website. I have learned a lot and the "Applause System" is sometimes an incentive as it grants a reward for hard work (I discovered that one member has received about 200 applauses, Wow!). However, there are members like me who are not the sharpest tools in the shed. So what do we do to remain as active members? I will list a few; please feel free to add or delete as you choose.

1) Eat a piece of humble pie. Realize that there are many people smarter than you. The upside: you can learn from them. I have learned a lot.

2) There are some members a lot smarter than you; they can guide you to new heights.

3) Read, read, read, and read ATS sections, books, magazines, newspapers, websites, technical journals... This can inspire many enlightening posts.

4) Think, think, and think before posting (something I often fail to do).

5) Deny ignorance in any communicational way, including speaking with a stranger off the street.

6) Probably the most important: realize that ATS is not about being applauded; it is about denying ignorance in a teaching/learning format. Teach and learn all you can!!!

God Bless ATS!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Don't forget you can find new friends who may think like you that you would have never otherwise have crossed paths.

You might also find friends who don't think like you but the respect is still mutual.

Either way, I think media imitates life (generally) and this is not something that is consolidated on message boards. The same thing happens in the real world, so count it as being apart from the world. Remember, if the world loved you it would love JC too. Isn't that what he said? Count yourself worthy and don't fret about those applauses too much. Sometimes it is aggravating that it feels like you are talking to a wall, but we all go through it. Just keep your eyes up my friend.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Why does one require applause or reward for speaking one's mind?

Is it a security blanket of some kind? Some endorsement of one's opinion?

The value of ATS is the ability to be able to put forward your view on any given subject - that is all.

If your opinion is something that others have not considered, and they find that they agree with it, then it may contribute to an altered view of the subject - perhaps even the truth of the matter - that is enough - nothing more is required.

The easiest way to make friends on ATS would be to agree with everyone - but that doesn't really contribute to the quest for truth, does it?

The Winged Wombat

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i just post because i like posting here
if i get one all i say to my self is "nice" people like what i do
no big deal

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've never totally understood the applause system, though it's always nice to get one. It's a little pat on the back that says the Mods recognize the effort you've put into a post.

That being said, I've put much effort and research into a new thread that didn't seem to go anywhere, and received no recognition, let alone an applause.
And on the other hand, I've posted 2 lines in someone else's thread and received 2 or 3 applauses from staff. Go figure......

It's nice to see that u2u in your box, but it's not that important in the end.
I'll keep hammering away on my keyboard, one way or the other.

EDIT: Oddly enough, after posting in this thread about getting an applause, I received two applauses for this thread a few hours later.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But if you look at the thread, I did some work to gather the information.
And I see I've moved up to having 4 stars under my avatar.

The recognition is nice, but it won't effect what I post.

[edit on 1/6/2007 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

join