It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. 1534: To hold the regime in Iran accountable for its human rights record.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
S. 1534: A bill to hold the current regime in Iran accountable for its human rights record and to support a transition to democracy in Iran.

www.govtrack.us...

Sponsor: Sen. Samuel Brownback [R-KS]

The text of the bill is not available yet.

I wonder what they mean by 'support a transition to democracy'...

[edit on 5/31/2007 by Alien42]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I was under the impression that Iran already was kind of democratic. According to Wikipedia, the President of Iran (Ahmahdinejad) is elected by the people (15yrs and over) to serve a 4 year term.

Also, the Supreme Leader is the only one who can declare war and is the chief of the armed forces, he is appointed by the Assembly of experts which are elected by the people to serve eight year terms.

I remember seeing in a documentary recently that the Iranian public are becoming dissenchated with Ahmahdinejad, and that he is more than likely going to be voted out in the next election.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The text of the bill is available:

there is a direct relationship between the state of freedom and democracy within Iran and the efforts of the current regime of Iran to acquire nuclear weapons and the long-term success of the global war on terror; and

it is essential that the issue of human rights violations in Iran should remain a top United States foreign policy priority, independent of efforts to address the nuclear threat in Iran.

Read the full text of the bill here.

join