It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groundbreaking research now has scientists talking to Apes!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
At a facility called "The Great Ape Trust" in Des Moines, Iowa, Scientists are carrying on two-way conversations with Bonobo Apes, which are a close relative to the chimpanzee. The apes communicate by choosing and pressing a series of 350 different lexigrams, symbols that appear on a screen that represent specific thoughts or objects.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There was a documentary about this on the BBC last year but I was never able to find out any more about it because I forgot the name of institute.

I think this is a very groundbreaking story, and shows that the apes (our genetic cousins) are not as dumb as we thought. They have the ability to learn and respond to a quite complex language which has been taught to them, and I think is a clear sign that they must have some sort of rudimentary language in the wild.

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well not sure its groundbreaking as Koko the gorilla has been speaking american sign language for a long time and its not the first experiment with a keypad and chimps and in fact ASL is much more productive and functional as they can sign anywhere and don't need a keypad

join