It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Iraqi boy takes cover behind an American soldier.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think that the majority of what has been posted on this thread has nothing to do with the picture in question. There are some very valid points here, but perhapse a new thread should be started solely for the discussion of these subjects? It just seems that every time a new thread comes up on this forum it ends up with a debate/slagging match about who killed the most people in Iraq.

As for the little boy in the picture, he needs to re-evaluate his cover. That soldier is going to be an obvious target himself in a minute, and one low shot = one dead Iraqi sprog.

The soldier also needs to hard-target a bit. One lesson I have learned over the last few years is if the locals are running, they're running for a reason, so get behind some cover.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Our troops are brave men and women who believe in Justice and follow the orders of our leadership. All blame for this huge mess is on the shoulders of our corrupt and disgusting leadership, not the young men and women who are fighting for their lives in a foreign land. The American people love and respect our troops because they are our friends and relatives. Our government only uses them as pawns in the sick pursuit of Money and Power. "Support Our Troops", what a stupid phrase. American soldiers are supposed to be used to defend our country and the constitution, not seek out personal vendedas against Bush and Cheney's old business partners. Bring the troops home and let them point their guns in the right direction- Capitol Hill and the White House. We need Truth and Justice NOW.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The truth of the matter is while this soldier should never have allowed this little boy to get that close to him during an obvious incident the picture does show that this little one isn't afraid of our troops. He went where he felt protection. I'm proud that this soldier was able to provide at least some comfort to a scared little boy.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
iThink the boy saw dick cheney with his huning gear and didnt want to get shot in the face..

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Crikey?

Isn't that an Aussie term. Australians can do or not do as Australians choose.

I'm an American and I speak to American issues.

No. Its an English term.

Grady, if you managed to look at my avatar and have determined from it that I come from anywhere else other that the UK, then I really have doubts about whether you are paying that much attention to things when you are typing out the rhetoric.

Its that or the blinkers you wear sometimes are a wee bit too restrictive

As for the sentiment of your post, as the US has decided to poke about in World affairs, the actions in Iraq, Afghanistan etc and the events have world wide repercussions, I'd say the rest of us are more than entitled to comment.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by akabigfoot
War is so ugly - when will we stop.

When human beings cease to exist. Thats the only way war will ever end, we will see countless more in our lifetime, most we will never hear about or see in the news. Even now there are other conflicts than Iraq and Afghanistan going on, but of course are overshadowed by them.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
As for most of what you said, I think you're reading too much into what I said or you're bringing up topics I didn't broach, but yes, I do think that there should be a draft.

.....Strange grady, I had always thought of you as a volounteer force only man?

I also think that a lot of kids are tattooing themselves and getting their ears guaged just to make themselves unsuitable for military service and that's the same thing as cowardice and not a free expression issue.

Is it cowardly to be frightened? To run away from things that hurt you?
What do you define as a coward....? I personally have not seen peeople purposely get tattoos and piercings to get out of military service.

By the way, I grew up poor and enlisted with the idea that if I survived, I could further my education, but my primary purpose for enlisting was to serve my country during a time of war.

There are more ways to serve your country than fighting....if not then would you call me a coward for not joining up?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
ok so your son would be dead you're right. You would have a funral and you would grieve. ok But heres one for you what if your kid was part of a terrist group that wants to kill Amercians and given the chance would have killed the soldier that killed him. Then thats to bad. I do not fill sorry for that lose of live because when it comes down to it and it is either you are him then you pick him.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Great photos! Reminds me of some Michael Yon took. -- Chief RZ

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Looks like the kid was trying to get on the opposite side from where the bullets were going to start flying; the soldiers rifle.

Heck who know's what happened after the shutter clicked. Kid might have pushed the soldier in front of a passing taxi or blew himself up.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I would do the same for that boy. SWORN TO YOUR DUTY. I would protect that boy with my life, for it's my job.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join