It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

..wow..::Google maps: Street View (New feature!)::..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Hey, thought I would post this up for those who haven't seen this yet... It's quite astonishing.

In select cities you can have a zoom-able, 360 degree view of the streets. Its quite mind boggling, and leaves me to wonder whats next, and what the "higher ups" currently have.

heres the link:
STREET VIEW

try not to waste tooo much time!!

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Very intriguing! I wonder where they got the photos.

I also wonder if folks can request to NOT have their houses, etc, in the photos.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Wow, people already complained about these map services being an aid to terrorists. Now you give them a tool to make perfect storyboards of very complex routes.

"No Shameed! Look at step #46! You turn left at the infidel's Starbucks. LEFT!", Bob said just before he walked out of the room in frustration.

Hey, at least the tool is limited to only the major cities. Though I do wonder how much they pay to drive the van around with the video cameras on it...

Jon

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
well, major cities so far, but it will expand I'm sure.

wouldn't major cities be the main threat from terroists tho?

personally, I would rather have google finish hi-res of the entire globe first.. how I'd love to look at tribes in africa etc.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
is google a play on words to mean the all seeing eye

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by acura_el2000
well, major cities so far, but it will expand I'm sure.

wouldn't major cities be the main threat from terroists tho?

Well, that was my attempt at a sarcastic comment to underscore the new tool's great utility to evil people.

personally, I would rather have google finish hi-res of the entire globe first.. how I'd love to look at tribes in africa etc.

Well it seems like Microsoft is actually taking the initiative in high-resolution aerial photography. Their "Live.com" maps have a feature to see a non-vertical images of the land you are looking at. The resolution is at least twice that of the highest resolution Google Maps images. There are actually four different images - one from each of the cardinal directions - for each high-resolution location. Unlike Google Maps I can actually see people on these high-resolution photographs.

Here is the statue of liberty: Statue of Liberty
On the little toolbar that loads up over the map you can click the second image down from the top on the left side (it looks like buildings sticking up) and that will give you the 4 different extremely close-up views.

Combine Microsoft's high res perspective photographs with Google's streetview and some nice software to splatter the images on extrapolated 3d buildings (ala Google's and MS's 3D city maps) and you have a complete virtual USA that can be driven through.

Jon

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here you go Voxel. by chance yesterday I stumbled onto an Islamic forum talking about Islam compared with other religions and how followers of Islam are not supposed to ask too many questions. Kinda interesting to read the whole thread.

www.muziqpakistan.com...

There are clearly some people in the Islamic world with an open enquiring mind and others who insist on strict adherance. Not too different from our society where liberals clash with neo conservative Christians.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
^^

That post has nothing to do with the subject.

I just thought, what city woulden't want to sponser this type of thing? All you need is a vehicle, and some cameras.. it would be good for any city to have...for "records"

so it could even be Implimented on taxis and continuous photo's could be taken. New York is getting all new hybrid taxi's arn't they?

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Very intresting, it's a nice new tool for google earth but how long it would take to do it all over the world?
I would think it's imposible? It would be cool tho.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Wow, people already complained about these map services being an aid to terrorists. Now you give them a tool to make perfect storyboards of very complex routes.

"No Shameed! Look at step #46! You turn left at the infidel's Starbucks. LEFT!", Bob said just before he walked out of the room in frustration.

Hey, at least the tool is limited to only the major cities. Though I do wonder how much they pay to drive the van around with the video cameras on it...

Jon

As if the terrorists need Google to plan their attacks...

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
heres some pictures from another thread on a car site

bad time for break and enter eh?

bad time to come out of a strip club ahah

ET??

how the heck did someone spot this!?

post up some of your finds!

top topics

join