It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand is pretty amazing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
well I am biased because I live here, but if you come I suggest you do so from November to April (summer-ish). Most people fly to Auckland and get hooked into the attractions within a few hundred miles of Auckland and miss the amazing splendour of the South Island.

Not to disrespect places like Rotorua for it's thermal wonderland and maori culture, but the south Island is the real jewel in our crown.

Don't get sucked in to visiting via Christchurch either. Come to Wellington, then take a ferry to the south island. the trip and it's scenery through the Marlborough sounds are a treat in themselves.

On the south Island don't miss the following spots:

Nelson and Kaiterteri beach
Nelson lakes
Punakaiki blowholes
Mt Cook
southern Westland and the glaciers
Lake Wanaka (and Glendhu bay/Matukituki Valley)
Queenstown
Milford and Doubtful Sounds (Fiordland)
Dunedin is kind of pretty for an Edwardian city

You can reach Wellington from Auckland, or through Australia via Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.

Christchurch has direct flights from Singapore, Seoul and Kuala Lumpur aswell as Australian cities.

Where should you go in the north island ?

Rotorua
Waitomo caves (west of Hamilton city)
Tauranga
Coromandel
Bay of islands
Lake Taupo
Central Plateau volcanoes (mt Ruapehu/Tongarrio)
Wellington

www.newzealand.com...

www.virtualoceania.net...

www.nzescape.com...

If anyone wants specific help I'd be glad to assist.

[edit on 29-5-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I live in Christchurch and I'm going to ignore sy.gunson advice about not visiting Christchurch. If any members are thinking about coming to New Zealand feel free to U2U me or post on this thread. If you like oysters make sure you visit Bluff at the bottom of the South Island.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
ha ha ha okay... well visit Christchurch after you take a ferry trip from Wellington. Nothing against Christchurch either. Just that people skip some important parts by going there direct.

Why not let the folks decide ?
Here's Wellington city:

[edit on 30-5-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Here's just one little corner of the Marlborough sounds and there are pleanty of corners like this. Miles of bays, inlets and Sounds. The big ferry boats cruise through these sounds for an hour to reach the sea from Picton.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well if a tourist by passes Christchurch they miss out on the chance of making a day trip or spending a few nights at Hanmer Springs. As the name suggests you can soak in the hot pools. Some of the walking trails are nice as well providing the trees haven't been cut down.

I tried posting a link to a Google search but the format didn't turn out properly.

[edit on 30-5-2007 by xpert11]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
's all good xpert11... not trying to dis Christchurch or Hamner.

www.hanmer.co.nz...

www.lennard.net.nz...

www.gondola.co.nz...

www.sumnertoferrymead.co.nz...

Does that even it up for you ?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
No offence taken I am or was just flying the flag for Christchurch for pride reasons.
Cheers xpert11.

top topics

join