It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat, Flexible, Wireless Power Source Can Go Anywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

A team of Japanese researchers has created a novel wireless power-transmission device that is thin, flat, and flexible. Based on a sheet of plastic, the device can be put on desks, floors, walls, and almost any other location, delivering power to electronics placed on or near it without the use of cables or connectors.

Link to article...

Oh I like this one. I like this one alot.

My biggest gripe that I had while I was in the construction industry, was that we were and still are using techniques, materials and the like that have been around since the late 1800s early 1900s. I had such an issue with the absolute spinelessness of the current majority of construction agencies and architects, and engineers, that it forced me to quit the job I had held. I just found it difficult to deal with it.

Im not a genius by any means - but lets be realistic. No technology thats different from whats the norm now is going to be cheap right off the get go. And all these folks cared about was making it cheap now, regardless of the costs that would be paid later.

And they call me an idiot because I dont have a 50000 dollar piece of toilet paper with my name next to a schools name....right.

Any way enough of that...I believe that this gadget will be the first of many more able products to come about. I mean, its novel, its highly integratable in existing homes....there is just one issue that I have....

I saw the picture of the fish and the light and thats wonderful that it has no immediate effects; but could this paticular device cause some long term undesirable effects?

I turn the question to those more competent than my self...for I have heard of no one who has had any undesirable effects, nor any, considering that wireless power transmission is a relatively new direction.

Score one for the future as the Parrot says.....

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sounds like something Tesla came up with, but a different application, slightly.

I can't wait to have this working on the bottom of my pool, what neat lights I'll have now!

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I guess it took them almost a century to "put a meter" on Tesla's wireless power device
Seems like a very facinating technology.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Uhhhhmmm, I think the original title has led to some misconceptions.
the wireless part is not the material. Its plugged in.

so I am not sure you can put that underwater.

It then uses magnetic induction to power the devices (hence the wireless part)
read carefully the sender coil has a voltage applied across it and magnetic induction on the electric device (computer for example) if it has a reciever coil will then have wireless power via magnetic induction. Only the computer would be wireless, the floor is wired.

The finished product consists of several layers. These include a layer printed with an array of thin, flat copper coils, which sense the position of nearby electronic devices, and a layer of sender coils that deliver the wireless power. This process occurs via electromagnetic induction, a physics phenomenon in which a magnetic field can induce a current in a nearby conductor. Here, a voltage applied across the sender coils produces a magnetic field, which induces current flow in nearby devices that need power, as long as those devices are equipped with receiver coils.

A simple experiment with magnetic induction is a plasma ball and a mecury vapor low energy bulb
amaze your friends.
LOL
its half way down the page.

www.waynesthisandthat.com...

[edit on 29-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord
Uhhhhmmm, I think the original title has led to some misconceptions.
the wireless part is not the material. Its plugged in.

so I am not sure you can put that underwater.

It then uses magnetic induction to power the devices (hence the wireless part)
read carefully the sender coil has a voltage applied across it and magnetic induction on the electric device (computer for example) if it has a reciever coil will then have wireless power via magnetic induction. Only the computer would be wireless, the floor is wired.

The finished product consists of several layers. These include a layer printed with an array of thin, flat copper coils, which sense the position of nearby electronic devices, and a layer of sender coils that deliver the wireless power. This process occurs via electromagnetic induction, a physics phenomenon in which a magnetic field can induce a current in a nearby conductor. Here, a voltage applied across the sender coils produces a magnetic field, which induces current flow in nearby devices that need power, as long as those devices are equipped with receiver coils.

A simple experiment with magnetic induction is a plasma ball and a mecury vapor low energy bulb
amaze your friends.
LOL
its half way down the page.

www.waynesthisandthat.com...

[edit on 29-5-2007 by junglelord]

Oh yes, of course it cant be put underwater - its meant for the wireless transmission of electricity, not for putting at the bottom of your pool!!!

The picture of the fish and the light - the light was more than likely sealed.

I apoligize for the title if there is a problem with it, I merely transmitted it in the manner I came across it.

The appeal of this item is that it *seems* that it is a means to safer means of powering devices. I never quite could resign myself to the illusion that the electrical recepticles that we now use on wide scale are in any way safe....I have my son to thank for that realization I suppose. Took 2 months to get him to stop messing with cords and outlets.

Another appeal to this is we are on the verge of superconducting materials being utilized on a mass scale,meaning that this is a step forward to being able to transmit electricity for a number of other applications. One of the first things to come to mind is that this device or its successors would be great for space based missions, where in the case of a loss of power for unit A being on the lunar surface in an area that can get no sunlight for solar power can be given the power wirelessly from the orbiting unit B. Justr one of many applications. Its light wieght and its versatility make it idea for many things. Even automobile electronics, maybe....

But is it safe to transmit this energy without the worry of long term detrimental effects on a human being, animals, our children, plants ect? Is this truly a safe science?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What did you think of the magnetic induction of the flourescent bulb and a plasma ball?
same thing very
safe
amaze your friends.
bet them you can light a bulb without plugging it in.
I have made good money on this

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hmmm.....I like lucrative!!!

Thanks JungleLord!!! ill split the proceeds and work as a franchise!

new topics

top topics

join