It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US fears grow over China military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

US fears grow over China military

news.bbc.co.uk

The United States has expressed concern over China's growing military might, in a Pentagon report given to Congress.

It particularly highlights China's new Jin-class nuclear submarines...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China Buys-Up US Debt At A Rate Of $15 Billion Dollars Per Month

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Suddenly there is U.S. concern over China's growing military power?

While the U.S. military has been deeply involved in the war on terrorism, and particularly in Iraq, with an apparent build up for potential military action with Iran, has the U.S.A. left open its backside to possible Chinese invasion?

Hardly a war scenario, one could easily claim it would never happen, as it would simply be prevented by "mutually assured destruction"

But China has been buying up U.S. debt at a staggering rate, so much so that they could, if motivated, create a collapse of the U.S. economy.

Is China a real threat, or is there really no reason for concern here?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If you had bothered to post the rest of the source, you know that China is also putting money into building an internet attack squadron, of sorts.

They are also developing anti-satellite missiles to take out US Military satellites needed for operations.

That is scarier than submarine advances. I think we have them beat quite handily in that regard.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Captains Log: Supplemental...Chinese Military

As for China being a threat: it depends on whether or not you want your hackles to be raised over it or not.

If you accept that China pwns Asia and is only doing what the United States is trying to do on a larger scale, then their efforts are in parallel to the United States military complex, not necessarily in direct conflict with it.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by newtron25]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So if China is a danger to the US power, how come our corpporate America is sleeping with the enemy?

Why US keeps borrowing from China and letting them finance our debt?

This nothing that BS.

Nobody is going to tell China what to do with their money.
or their countys' affairs.

I will walk naked down my street the day US brakes all ties with China.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by marg6043]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i dont see what the US is complaining about. china is a fast growing super power so its not supprising that their miliatry will grow aswell.

the US is worried that china isnt transparent enough, does the US share all its secrets and advancements with the world?

or is the US just scared at the prospect that china is growing to fast and going up the food chain quicker then they want?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So if China is a danger to the US power, how come our corpporate America is sleeping with the enemy?

US corporate leaders have been guilty of trading and consorting with the enemy for ages. Do you really expect them to deter from that action with China because of her advancing military might?
whats that old shakespear saying: "If money go before, all ways do lye open"
Besides, Corporate Capitalism holds no allegence to any country (even the US), where there are markets to be exploited, so will capitalism exploite them. China will be the new worlds biggest military complex.

I will walk naked down my street the day US brakes all ties with China.

that'll be the day

My own thoughts are that US leaders fear China's military, not just for the tech they are so heavily investing in, but also its MASSIVE reserve army of citizens which could be transformed into combat troops.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It’s not secret that as a country becomes more financially independent they are to make sure that it protects itself with a powerful military force.

That is the only way they can stop any other country for taking over, with intimidation.

I think that the fear is more of China daring to follow the same trend US has started of pre empty strikes on nations of interest.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Could this be the next Cold War in the making?

Russia has ceased to be such a threat since the collapse of the USSR (although it's certainly still there), but China is on the rise and - whilst not directly hostile - isn't the US's best friend, either. Will we be seeing arms races and space races between the United States and China over the coming decades?

It's a scary thought. The circumstances are different and there are other elements to consider, but don't close those fall out shelters just yet. Civil defence drills may make an unwelcome return if (and it's still an 'if' at this point) tension reaches Cold War levels.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Something that bugs me............

Why is the U.S. complaining about a lack of "transparency" in the Chinese Military?

For as long as most people can remember, the U.S. military have been guarding secrets and funding projects from "black ops".

Would the Chinese equivalent be: "Yellow ops".

I also think, to say the Chinese missile threat to "all space faring nations" is a bit strong. They are probably more concerned with non chinese spy satellites, rather than blasting "everything" out of the sky.

This build up has been going on for years, are we now going to see an even more rapid increase of media concern to get the public awareness up?

I still believe something very fishy is afoot (as ever), maybe in the run up to the 2008 elections, especially after the announcement of the new Whitehouse Directive (ats link) by president bush.

I can't stand meglomania. Beam me up scotty!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I think that the fear is more of China daring to follow the same trend US has started of pre empty strikes on nations of interest.

Or worse yet, running US business interests and firms out of very productive markets in the ME, South and Central America, and Asia.

The only thing that scare big business more than revolution, is hostle take over, corporate style.

new topics

top topics

join