It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Places to see in NJ, USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Hi,

I will be in NJ soon and am going to be there for a couple of months. I was hoping that some of you Americans would list out great places to see from the militaristic point of view. By militaristic I mean mostly AF and naval stuff(army is good too). A/c, ships, subs, space stuff(NASA?) etc etc..

Now obviously this may sound freaky to a paranoid few, but I am purely asking from a military enthusiast point-of-view and nothing else.

I hope I get some good info out here!
Thanks in advance

DD3

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Daedalus3,

I'm about 2+ hours from New Jersey, but the following links should help to refine any areas of interest.

new jersey naval stations

new jersey air force bases

new jersey military museums

[edit: bbcode for links and to add]

If this is your first trip, then "Welcome to the USofA, Daedalus3!" ... Otherwise, "Welcome Back!"

I'm sure other members who frequent this forum will be able to provide further insight as to specific locations of interest (i.e. places to see/be).

Not to seem invasive, but what brings you to New Jersey ?
... when there seem to be many looking to leave. (?)

[edit on 24-5-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If you come across the river to New York City, go to the Intrepid Air, Sea, and Space museum.

Oops, I guess it's closed until fall '08 for renovations

www.intrepidmuseum.org...

If you'll be here a few months, I imagine you'll have time to go down to Washington D.C. for a day or two (it's not too far from NJ). The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum is very nice.

www.nasm.si.edu...

[edit on 5/24/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

If this is your first trip, then "Welcome to the USofA, Daedalus3!" ... Otherwise, "Welcome Back!"

First trip.. so thank you!

Not to seem invasive, but what brings you to New Jersey ?
... when there seem to be many looking to leave. (?)

Official work!

Im an Indian btw

Thanks for the info!
Both 12m8keall2c and djohnsto77

EDIT: yup DC will be a must-go for me!

[edit on 24-5-2007 by Daedalus3]

[edit on 24-5-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Welcome Daedelus!

I live in Pennsylvania next door to Jersey. While you're in Jersey enjoy the currently lowest gasoline prices in the US!!! (If you're renting a car that is. Last I heard its below 3dollars/gallon... or about 79cents/Liter)

btw, pardon our govt. It's currently under maintenance.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I live in New Jersey, two of the most historic sites you will want to see are...

#1. Sandy Hook - this was an old base during the WW's it has since been abandoned, but it has some old buildings with staligmites growing and also the largest landfired cannon ever made is there. Sandy Hook is also a popular beach so you can enjoy the day there.

#2. The SpyHouse in Leonardo area (near Sandy Hook) was used as part of the underground railroad during the civil war and they have tours that go down into the lower chambers, rumor has it that it is haunted!

#3. The Revolutionary War, The battle of Monmouth & Molly Pitcher was fought in Freehold area, you can also go apple picking and drink fresh apple cider there!

All of these locations are within 30 minutes of each other.

Enjoy your trip!

I am sure theres also lots to see near Trenton and the Delaware river where George Washington won the revolutionary war, but i don't live in that part of the state so i can't help you there.

And if you go to the southern part of the state, be on the lookout for the Jersey Devil!

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There's the USS Ling, a WW2 submarine in Hackensack: New Jersey Naval Museum

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You can go see the Hindenburg Crash site and Muesum.........

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How about the Battleship New Jersey in Southern New Jersey

Millville Army Air Field Museum

As Xmotex said earlier, The New Jersey Naval Museum

Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum

In Pennsylvania Gettysburg National Military Park Turning point of the civil war.

Washington DC for sure, since you are so close. Arlington National Cemetery to see the changing of the guard, famous burials etc.

The many Smithsonians museums.(which someone already gave a link to the Air and Space museum) Vietnam memorial etc.

I bet New York City has to have some stuff too.

This is a start.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thanks a lot guys!!

EDIT: Its a pity the USS Intrepid is in reworks..
Was hoping to get to see a bit of modern day (70s+) stuff as well..
Any other place where one could see jets like the F-16, F-15 etc up close?
Any other museum carriers around?

btw..
No Raptors in NJ aye?

only Tyndall and Elemdorf!

[edit on 25-5-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i've heard rumors of a vortex at wantague (i think thats how you spell it).
Apparently beings from another dimension travel in and out of this area. But i got that info from sargel18, so go figure

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You might be interested in going to West Point Military Academy in New York:

www.usma.edu...

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If you are interested in Military Interests here are a few....

In June the reinactment of the Battle of Monmouth happens as the Battlefield State Park (there is a musuem there too) off old Rt 33 in Freehold/Manalapan. The do an entire reinactment.

McQuire AFB does a HUGE air show over the summer also. I'm not sure what day it is this year but I'm sure if you search online it's there (it was last year so thats how I know).

The Spy House is a great attraction. The say it's actually haunted although I've never seen anything when I've gone there.

I believe Lakehurst and Atlantic City bases also have air shows.

There is also the USS New Jersey that you can tour in Camden NJ (just lock your doors while driving through, although the area at the seaport is ok the rest of the town is an armpit).

If I think of any more I'll post them

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If you go to the beach, don't do anything while you're there.

Welcome to the Jersey Shore! Have a great time, but please don't dig too deeply in the sand in Surf City (you could get blown up), feed the seagulls in Ocean City (you could catch a disease), or draw dirty pictures in the sand in Belmar (it's rude).

If you have tummy trouble, don't even think of going to Sea Bright, and if you come to Spring Lake, leave your spear gun at home. Other beaches won't let you eat, pick flowers, fly a kite, gamble or ride a camel.

For a state that relies heavily on shore tourism to power its economy, there sure are a lot of things you can't do here.

"I used to take pictures of signs at the entrance to beaches that had long lists of all the things you couldn't do," said Dery Bennett, head of the American Littoral Society's Sandy Hook chapter. "There was one with a big word `NO' in red letters at the top and all these things listed underneath it, and at the bottom, someone put tape on it and wrote in `fun allowed."'

www.cnn.com...

Apparently the bit about being blown up is true. They were doing a winter beach replenishment and accidentally pumped 1000 pieces of WWI ordnance ashore with the sand. So if you dig too deeply you might come across some of it the hard way.

new topics

top topics

join