It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illusionist vs. Joseph Smith, Jr.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I recently posted on my own blog (IkerSpot) about The Illusionist. I made mention that the main character Eisenheim reminds me of Joseph Smith. I particularly want to address this issue here. I simply want to begin the discussion by pointing out things I find similar between Joseph (J) and Eisenheim (E).

Note: this discussion may include plot spoilers regarding the film/s discussed.

First, both J and E discover "magic" or "spiritualism" (very similar concepts in many regards) at an early age. Both go on to develop their skills in these areas and lure people into believing something perhaps beyond what is truly there. Both characters are easily debatable: was he good or was he evil? It all depends on ones perception of the man's intentions.

Second, both J and E fall in love with a young lady and run away with her. For Joseph, the falling in love happened later and the running away earlier than in the case of Eisenheim, but in both cases, one man "ran away" with a woman in a questionable fashion.

Third, the entire spiritualism scene is an important aspect of the stories of both J and E. While J's existence is historically proven, his character is yet widely debated (as can surely be seen on this very website). E, however, is for the most part considered a work of fiction. What I find similar between the two, however, is the very discussion in The Illusionist of E's varying histories. In other words, many different versions of both J and E could potentially be told - and so they have. Even in reading the story of Eisenheim the Illusionist (found in The Barnum Museum by Steven Millhauser) we find distinct plot differences from the film.

The same is true of the various accounts of Joseph Smith, Jr's life vs. the depictions of his character in LDS-produced films. Even documented church history is often skewed in the portrayal of his life. This begs to question the authenticity of the church's position, but that is an entirely different discussion, which has been addressed (though likely not concluded) in other posts. I would most particularly desire to avoid the discussion of religious authenticity on this post as my intentions are to address the issue of the similarities in character between Eisenheim and Joseph Smith, Jr.

[edit on 5.23.2007 by Isaac Tanner Madsen]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm curious. Has anyone else seen a connection between these two?

join