It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honey Bees Make Guest Appearance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ok this has to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. Approximately 3,000 bees crashed a fundraiser in Indiana. Can anyone explain this one? It is as if they were roaming lost and just showed up.

Source : www.cnn.com...

A swarm of honeybees temporarily disrupted a charity fundraising event, but no one reported being stung.

Authorities evacuated the area Saturday after the swarm of about 3,000 bees emerged from the woods around the West Noble High School football field, where 700 people were participating in a fundraising walk for the American Cancer Society.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So it appears that the bees are becoming lost and unable to find there way back to their own hive. At least one beekeeper got some back.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i saw that in the news today and i got a false sense of security from hearing it.
i hope they stop, set up shop and produce some offspring. (or just hope they live for that matter)

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I am telling you it is not any "pollutants", or new "chemicals", it is the Sun and the Earth's magnetic field which are out of whack, and since bees, alongside some other animals use both to find their way, they are getting lost.

Remember that the Earth's magnetic field shield us from most of the sun's harmful rays, when it is weak more of these harmful rays reach us, and the bees use a polarized system to look at the sun, which they use as a compass, and find their way during the day. During cloudy days they use the magnetic field of Earth itself to find their way. That is what is making them get lost.

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Actually, these swarms can be quite natural. When a hive becomes overpopulated, additional queens are born and a portion of the hive swarms to establish new colonies.

I don't think this has anything to do with the bees getting lost.

But I did notice something on my own the other day that is VERY strange.

In a parking lot, I saw an obvious drip line of coolant marking the pavement… I was stunned to see several honey bees drinking from it!

When I have time, I intend to see if something (by reason of regulation, possibly) has changed with the formulation of automobile coolant. I'm pretty certain that those bees I saw were goners after soaking up antifreeze!

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
In a parking lot, I saw an obvious drip line of coolant marking the pavement… I was stunned to see several honey bees drinking from it!

Antifreeze has a naturally sweet aroma and taste. Some manufacturers have added compounds to reduce the sweetness, because every year there are household pets poisoned by drinking antifreeze leaks.

www.resteddoginn.ca...

Back in WWII, the Russian airplane mechanics who had lost or broken their hydrometers used to actually taste the antifreeze to see if it still had its potency. DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME, KIDS.

Yes, antifreeze is sweet, (ethylene glycol) and it is poisonus.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
As Loam said, these actually aren't that unusual. We had a swarm of bees end up in our yard when our children were little. The beekeeper who came to remove them said that the queens do take their colonies "on the road" if the area seems to be lacking in some way (food or other resources.) Bees simply don't stay in one place and die.

Unusual, but not unheard of. Rescuing moving bee colonies like that is one major source of new colonies for beekeepers.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Loam and Byrd are correct. It happened twice at the last place I lived. I called a beekeeper I found in the yellow pages and he took it for free. He and his wife were stoked. It's normal...

...except for the part when the hive assumed the form of an Incubus, a compass and a UFO. The bees, in a moment of universal importance, tied together Christianity, magnetic disturbances and extraterrestials!

Don't get too excited Mauddib, the last part was fiction.

Look up Occam's razor, learn it and love it. It's not an infallible principle but is a good first step when attempting to explain the unusual!

Now speaking of tasting antifreeze to see if it was still potent, a family member of mine used to touch the burners in the kitchen he worked at to see if they were still on...I hope those gene's are recessive.

TheOnlySaneOne(in my family)

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Latest:

A huge swarm of bees grounds a Boeing 737 in UK.

BBC: Swarm of bees grounds UK aircraft

25 May 2007

Almost 200 passengers found themselves stranded at Bournemouth Airport for 11 hours after their plane turned back after flying into a swarm of bees.

[---]

The incident happened just two days after a swarm of 20,000 bees descended on Bournemouth Pier.

It is believed the plane's engines ingested the bees while flying over Bournemouth but this did not cause problems until later into the flight.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Maudibb, I would agree with your theory if it werent for the fact that we have heard no cases of dissapearances from Africa, South America, or Asia. If the sun had anything to do with this, the bees would be affected globally.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I never noticed that bees were attracted to engine coolant, you learn something new evry day specially here on ATS.

On a side note im glad the bee arecoming out i was getting relly worried there for a second.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
If the sun had anything to do with this, the bees would be affected globally.
Actually, i have heard India is having the same problem. I heard it on Coast to Coast from a scientist.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
And also on C2C, a caller said he saw abandoned houses in New Orleans filled with honey bees. A super hive, if you will.

Anyone from NO to confirm this?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Maudibb, I would agree with your theory if it werent for the fact that we have heard no cases of dissapearances from Africa, South America, or Asia. If the sun had anything to do with this, the bees would be affected globally.

Except for the following fact.

Weather breaks record
May 23, 2007 Edition 2

Sapa and Staff writer

THE icy weather of snow, hail and heavy rain that has swept across South Africa over the past few days has set 54 weather records.

The South African Weather Service said 34 new records were set on Monday and another 20 yesterday. Almost all records were for the lowest maximum and minimum daily temperatures in towns across the country.

www.capetimes.co.za...

The Climate Changes happening around the Earth are not all the same, and hence are not affecting animals in the same way.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Climate change is not what you're referring to though, is it muadibb? Magnetic fields, polarisation of the sun's light, these are global things, not local..

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
And also on C2C, a caller said he saw abandoned houses in New Orleans filled with honey bees. A super hive, if you will.

I haven't heard or seen any of this.

I can ask around and see though, but I haven't heard anything of that yet.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I found this about African Bee's found in an abandoned house in New Orleans, but this was the only case.
Killer Bee's Tracked Near New Orleans

I watched a special on the animal planet one night about honey bees and they will leave with a new Queen when overcrowed and find a new nest to build. I'm very glad to see them around. I've seen plenty of them where I live.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I can't see I've seen an absence of bees in my area. Have seen quite a few very large ones ( queens I would think ) as of late.

Anyone else seeing plenty of bees so far?

new topics

top topics

join