It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter says Bush presidency was the worst in history in international relations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
news.aol.com...

Former President Carter says President Bush 's administration is "the worst in history" in international relations, taking aim at the White House's policy of pre-emptive war and its Middle East diplomacy.

He really said a great deal about what he thinks George Bush has done, and that his administration is the worst in US history. Someone had to say something and I think this was a brave move, considering other presidents have waited until after death to voice their opinions.

He also bashed the fact that the concept of pre-emptive war has been introduced. Going after another country when your own security was not directly threatened.

Carter also lashed out Saturday at British prime minister Tony Blair . Asked how he would judge Blair's support of Bush, the former president said: "Abominable. Loyal. Blind. Apparently subservient."

"And I think the almost undeviating support by Great Britain for the ill-advised policies of President Bush in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world,"

He also spoke about Blair's blind loyalty and the fact that their actions in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world. In all it was a pretty good article, I think he said what needed to be said, cause no one else was stepping up to the plate.

If he had said this 5 years ago, I guess it would not have made a difference, and people just had to go through this time in history, but how will this time be remembered?

When I see people taking brave stances like this it gives me hope, that others will follow suit, till the people also wake up and realise what has really happened, but then hope springs eternal and is easily lost once again.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It's all very well saying that now. Hindsight being 20/20, but what about when he came to power and everyone already knew that he was a fudgin numpty.

Bush is at the very least a sandwitch and a pork pie short of a picnic. But he still had how many years to get his (or their, depending on how you view it) way.

I'm British and completely agree that TB was a tit to folow so blindly behind, but what's done is done. Maybe people will pay more attention in the future, Protest against war and obvious bending of the truth.

Hold on, when Bush went in to Iraq, didn't he have like 85% support.

Oh. The turning tide, hoe thou does wash thy clean and change thy mind.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I was with the country that didn't go to war. We had a lot of support for not going to war.

Hindsight is 20/20, but what about all the people that were saying that he should not. I am just wondering if Ford, Carter and others in prominant positions would have made a difference to his decision making? Maybe not at the time.

I still think it's good that Carter is speaking up now, and not waiting till after his death to show a video which says how he felt. I think the American people need to hear it from people like that, people that they trusted to lead them before, so they can understand what really happened, and how Bush's actions really affected the world.

I still think it was a pretty brave thing Carter did speaking his mind like that. In this period it can almost get you in trouble, ex president or not.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Now Carter says his remarks were "careless or misinterpreted".

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So now Carter is steeping back from his original remarks?

Perhaps he was told that if he doesn’t shut up he will lose his retirement pension. Even when everything he said was the truth.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This is a case of the pot calling the Kettle Black.

Iran Afganistan and Iraq started under his incompetent admistration

not that the present one is any better

if anything Jimmy and Jorge are tied for last

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
I think this was a brave move,

There is nothing brave about Carter. He really is 'increasingly irrelevant' as the White House said. This wasn't bravery on Carter's part. It was just a pathetic move by Carter to try to rewrite history .. because at this point Carter is one of the worst presidents we have ever had, and Carter is tired of being at the bottom of the presidents list.

Carter - who brought us those 2 and 3 hour long gas lines.
Carter - who brought us the Iran hostage fiasco.
Carter - one of the WORST presidents in US history.

considering other presidents have waited until after death to voice their opinions.

It has long been the unspoken 'good manners' policy of presidents not to bash each other. Former presidents were not supposed to bash current ones, and current ones were not to bash former ones. Carter, in his attempt to try to chat-down Bush to make himself look better, is bucking the unwritten 'good manners' rule that has been in place for hundreds of years.

Originally posted by bg_socalif
Now Carter says his remarks were "careless or misinterpreted".

Gawd .. he must think Americans are idiots. (actually, considering what he has been writing lately, I'm SURE he thinks that) There was no mistaking what he said. He was VERY clear and VERY sure of his words.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What horrible back peddlling. I wonder what they told him behind closed doors to shut him up?

I think the polite presidents don't bash current president's rule has some merits, however if you see someone doing something extreamly wrong, then you really should say so, and not in some taped interview after you pass away, however better to have been said in that format rather than not at all.

I am deeply disappointed in his backpeddling, because then anything else he ever says again, will be treated as pointless. Although I get the feeling he won't speak out of line again for some time to come, if ever again.

Oh well, as I said, hope springs eternal and then it's easy lost again.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I always love FF's posts.

The 2 to 3 hour gas lines were a set-up by the oil companies. The Iran hostage fiasco was a set-up by the CIA. Both were done during the Carter administration so we would all drool over our next pre-selected President Ronald Reagan for fixing those problems.

Peace

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Are you sure that wasn't during Nixon's term?

I thought that was Islamic extremists who brought that fiasco on. It was Carter who refused to go to war over it. Which I think was a prudent move.

Aside from the Iran hostage crisis, what makes you think that?

Edit to add: I'll also mention the assassination attempt that the CIA planned for Mr. Carter.
tinwiki.org...

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Carter was a horrible president! Hindsight is 20/20 indeed and its easy for anyone to come in and play what if and Monday morning quarterback and all that. Carter should keep his mouth shut.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yea right, Carter has a lot of room to talk about poor presidencies. I think hes just hoping that Bush is labeled as the worst president, so it will push Carters name up to a close 2nd..

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Let us not forget the 14% Home mortgage rate that Jimmie's admin were responsible for. A really nice guy but he tried to save the world instead of running our country. I don't think anyone can do both.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Carter has no place criticizing any other president of the United States.

Carter's administration was not only the worst administration in U.S. history, but most probably the worst in the whole of civilization.

People like Caligula and Nero look fantastic compared to him.

Bush is nothing like Carter.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Folks I lived thru the Carter Presidency and I'm firmly on the side that Carter was the worst disaster as president this country has ever endured. He went out of his way to make the citizens of this country ashamed to be Americans.

Hey, I'm no fan of GW either, but compared to Carter old George is a freakin' genius and on the golden path.

Carter needs to go back to building houses for Habitat for Humanity and keep his opinions to himself, he has no room to talk.

Just my thoughts on it,

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The difference between Jimmy And George. Jimmy was a good man......George on the other hand.......

I agree that Carter was a pretty bad President. But he never got even close to doing the damage to our country GWB has. That being said I am very disappointed at Carter's back peddling. So lame. I have lost a lot of respect for him for doing that. He should have stuck to his guns.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

When I see people taking brave stances like this it gives me hope...

Obviously, we can see which side of the political tree you swing from, huh?
Personally, I would have worded it as: foolish stances.

Btw, why is Carter back-peddling if what he said was so "brave"?
I have come to the conclusion that Carter, despite his wonderful efforts in humanitarianism, is senile.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hi Seekerof.

Btw, why is Carter back-peddling if what he said was so "brave"?

I think he was brave when he said it, and quickly backed down. We all have bold moments even presidents. It's a shame he back peddled, but I was thinking that after saying that he had better watch his back, and I guess young or old, no one wants to piss the system off. Everytime I see a ray of light shining through a cloud often follows. A dark enveloping cloud, that will let no dissention get out.

new topics

top topics

join