It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Woman Who Lost Arms, Legs During Birth Works for Answers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Claudia Mejia cannot give the hugs most mothers bestow on their children. Nor can she grab her 2-year-old son by the hand or place him on her lap. She cannot tuck her 9-year-old into bed or walk him to the school bus stop...

She and her lawyers believe she either got the infection — "group A strep" — at the hospital or its doctors and nurses failed to quickly and properly treat it. They are suing the hospital and its parent company, Orlando Regional Healthcare System, seeking unspecified damages...

She went into toxic shock, her kidneys began to shut down and the blood flow to her arms and legs ceased, causing gangrene to set in, records show...
Source

I saw her on Tv before. Its really sad. I'm sure the hospital didnt know exactly what sher had but the should have recognized that it was an infection of some sort and instead of just giving her painkillers done bloodwork and given antibiotics. I think she probably got it at the hospital but I guess they will never know. Its just a really tegic case..no arms..no legs and 2 kids.

EDIT: Forgot to add link

[edit on 5/20/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
another reason not to get pregnant

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Originally posted by laiguana

another reason not to get pregnant

How un-called for was that ?

Geez,
Lex

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   

quote: another reason not to get pregnant

hahahaha what the hell??

anyway damn poor lady they still havent let her know why or anything? very sketchy.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's been discussed before here on ATS. What I remember from the discussion is that she was ill before she went to the hospital to give birth. Infections that severe don't just crop up overnight (tv medical dramas would have you beleive they do, but they don't.) And it takes awhile for flesh eating bacteria to get to the point where complete amputation is needed. Most times it can be fixed by a local surgery.

So... I think the story hasn't given the full details. She should have her records, though -- that's every patient's right. But if it comes down to a "they said this but THIS is what's on the charts" issue then it's difficult to decide who is right and who is wrong.

There also was a language barrier... as I recall, she didn't speak English well at that time.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well the woman that i saw on Tv spoke english perfectly well, i did even recall an accent..

top topics

join