It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mind Bending" Virtual Reality Torture Techniques?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone had any specific information regarding virtual reality being used as a torture device.

As a movie fan I am awed sometimes at the awesomeness of special affects. Alot of recent trends I am seeing are movies that nearly induce hallucinogenic "Tripping".

If you have ever been to IMAX you will know that special affects can be awesome when viewed in 3D.

In regular movies such as 'Pink Floyd's The Wall' and 'The Butterfly Effect" the special affects seem to play tricks with your mind.

I went to see Spider Man 3 last night. Before the movie it showed previews for a movie called "All Across The Universe". It was almost hallucinogenic and seemed to be focused on inducing hallucinations.

I see a scary potential for this technology to be used in torture. These movies have powerful affects on the mind and seem to be able to cause mind bending affects. Has the Military or anyone ever done research into how these special affects techniques could be used for torture, to induce hallucinations, or to generally scare the beejesus out of you to the point of death?

At Six Flags I went on a ride called "Houdini" or something. It is basically a room that spins around you and gives you the impression the room is bedning all sorts of unimaginable ways. It gives you the impression you are upside down when you are really not. It gives the impression that the wallpaper is coming alive.

While these movies and amusement rides might be aimed at invoking fun, I see the potential in how they can be used for more evil ends such as inducing fear or scary hallucinations.

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think that movies are trying to tap into people's psycology. These days the horror movies in particular seem more like strange dreams than a realistic stories as they did say 15 or 20 years ago. They contain a lot more strange imagery, that seems to be what people would commonly describe in nightmares or dreams.

I am also sure that they use subliminal messages, movies, tv, commericals, most images.

It makes me laugh when Hollywood is view as "the good guys". They all suck, republicans, dems, Hollywood. They're all bad people.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by Electro38]

new topics

join