It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cat poo alarm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I can't believe I'm posting this, but seriously, does anyone know if the odour of cat poo has any chemical similarity to smoke?
I swear my cat set off my smoke alarm!
I've got a couple of indoor cats that use a litter tray, and yesterday, I don't know what the hell one of them had eaten, but she created an unholy stench, by far the worst I've ever witnessed. Practically as soon as it hit my nostrils, my smoke alarm in the same room started bleeping like mad.
I know it wasn't a dodgy battery, as it would just give off the occasional pip if that was the case.
I whipped the battery out , and removed the offending pile of poop before replacing the battery , and all was peaceful again.
A few months ago, our smoke alarm went off for no apparent reason in the middle of the night, and now I'm wondering if this could be the cause.
I'm feeling a little silly asking this, but I've just gotta know, and couldn't find anything through google. It couldn't just be coincidence could it?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Holy smokin cat poo batman!

Wicked. LMAO. I don't know about the science and to be honest it's not something I want to lok into!

Good luck.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hmmm... Well, I found this:

One of the biggest problems with ionization smoke detectors is their frequent false alarms. By the nature of its operational principle, any micron-size particulate matter other than the smoke from an actual fire can set off the alarm. Kitchen grease particles generated by a hot stove is one classic example. Over-zealous dusting of objects and/or furniture near the detector is another. Steam from a bath room after somebody had taken a bath and opening the bathroom door could also set off the smoke detector mounted in the hallway. Even the accumulation of dust around the smoke detector itself after a long and unattended period of time had elapsed could lead to a false alarm. Frequent false-alarms are not just a harmless nuisance; some people actually disarm their smoke detectors by temporarily removing the battery in order to escape from such annoying episodes. This latter situation could be outright dangerous especially when these people forget to rearm their smoke detectors.

www.patentstorm.us...

Maybe your wicked cat poo released large smell molecules? Or maybe it was a coincidence caused by dust just at the moment your cat did it's business?

That's a weird story though. Maybe microscopic monkeys flew out of your cat's butt!

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

I don't know about the science and to be honest it's not something I want to lok into!

well I did think for a moment about performing a science test of my own and placing the scooped poop directly under the smoke alarm to see if it would set it off again, but the whole thought of it especially in the case of this particularly nasty specimen, was too stomach churning

Thanks for that link MajorMalfunction. The thought of it being micron-size particulate matter entering my nose is not one that I like to ponder for too long, but from the piece that you quoted, it does sound as though it is possible that it really was the poop that made it toot!

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Man this is funny stuff. I love it! Kitty conversation always makes for a hilarious subject! I'm experienced in industrial alarm systems, but not the personal home ones. I have been in the residential maintenance line of work and one thing I found out that the ones that take a nine volt battery are very unreliable when the battery starts to get low. That is why the fire department recommends to replace the battery every 6 months.

Basickly I think MajorMalfunction has the jist of it in what she found. I have sanded sheet rock and did not see the particles in the air and it still set off the alarm in a large facilities alarm system and that is very common. They are designed to be set of as soon as it detects abnormalities in the air. Unfortunately there is many downfalls and false alarms with this set up, but it is the best way to have it.

The sent of "Kitty Poo" can be pretty strong. I wouldn't be suprised if it sets the disposable alarm off.

I'm just curious for my own education on the subject if your residential alarm is 9 volt or hardwired?

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oh pantha, I just don't know what to say.

I have 4 smoke detectors, and one is directly above the litter box.
And yes, we've had some real stinkers dropped in the box, but they never set off the alarm.

What the hell are you feeding that cat.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism

They are designed to be set of as soon as it detects abnormalities in the air.

Well this poop certainly smelt very abnormal!

I'm just curious for my own education on the subject if your residential alarm is 9 volt or hardwired?

It's got a 9 volt battery in it.

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

What the hell are you feeding that cat.

Well I feed them tinned cat food and biscuits, but they do have the odd taster of what we are eating sometimes, and the other day one of them did eat a bit of chicken tikka masala that I dropped on the floor. That might have been a bit too spicey for their tummy. Ohhh and one of them regularly chews lumps out of socks if she gets hold of them, and the other eats cardboard and paper! I didn't notice which one of them was the offender.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I had an epiphany last night and I believe I have solved the mystery.

The feline culprit who delivered the "poo o' doom" was likewise grossed out by it and dug very hard and enthusiastically to cover it up. This threw up dust and particulate matter from the litter box which set off the alarm.

Case closed.

But what a world: to have an epiphany involving a litter box. I need to get a life.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
OMG - I think I will be scarred for life after reading the opening post.

In a couple of years Pantha, you will look back upon this and have a good chuckle.

Pantha's house - Sign out front - "DANGER!! Toxic Feline in area"

sorry, couldn't help myself.

[edit on 5/20/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join