It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diving the Worlds Deepest Cenote.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

NASA Robot to Explore 'Bottomless' Pit

A robotic yellow submarine will journey this week to the world's deepest sinkhole, which already has taken the life of one diver who sought to reach its bottom and discover the life that might exist there.

Others have tried to reach the end of this seemingly bottomless pit in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas, known to be at least 925 feet deep, but no one has ever succeeded
link

I love these kind of stories.

There's no telling what, if anything, could be found as these researchers study the information coming from the cameras aboard the nicely named Yellow submarine.

What's even better is that we can follow the story through their blog

related info:
www.smm.org...
www.mysteriousplaces.com...

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've been intriguted by cenotes ever since I was a kid and read about some of the finds at the bottom of one of them. According to what I read back then, they were often used as sacrifical pits. There's an amusing tale of an Aztec maiden who was being readied to be sacrificed to the gods. The priest told her to apprach the gods in the afterlife and tell them to send rain for a good harvest.

She said "I most certainly won't! I'm going to tell them to send lightning and tornados and a hundred years of drought."

They found another maiden to sacrifice.

(I always loved that story. It's probably a modern tale, but I still loved it.)

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Bummer, none of the pics on his site once they start the dive show on my computer???
anyone know what I am missing as far as software>thanks

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You're not missing anything on the dive itself, Junglelord. The last entry in the log was the 15th of May. The 2 entries listed below are about testing the sub out and, likely, the pics of that were pulled once the information became public.

So it's not your machine, I can't view them either. It's only been 2 days since the last blog entry, so I'll be watching for an update.

Byrd... there is a lake in Ontario very much like a cenote. It's called Hall's Lake and is just northeast of Minden. It's large, but quite deep...I've heard soundings of between 800 and 1000 feet from the locals there (I vacation there often).

Perhaps there are a few Algonkian maidens down there.

I've fished it and all my depth finding (fishing) equipment can't find the bottom. Googling the name gets scarce results though.

Pity, that...

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
yes I realized that after I posted as I did a visual skim of the photo boxes only.

sometimes I do have the little x in the corner because of a software I am lacking...but your correct on that.

I live in Ontario, I used to work with the best military sonar and commercial for 4 years

Sonar is a black science, very few people know the math for salinity, temperature of water and wave propagation.

I still have frequencies memorized that are classified for torpedo transducers and for big array systems as well as others I cannot discuss

Nice to have security clearence....of course its only Canada but we do make some incredible stuff, like the Sonar I used to do, best in the world.

[edit on 17-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yeah it's the same on my computer with the pictures. I'll difinetly keep up with them and check in to view them. Nice thread Masqua
I've been fasinated with Cenotes and caving since my teenage days. I wonder what they'll find at the bottom of this one? It's cool that this is just a trial for exploring other planets and moons like Europa.

Edit just to ask. What's the deepest depth that a human has reached without dieing? Anyone know?

[edit on 5/17/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Edit just to ask. What's the deepest depth that a human has reached without dieing? Anyone know?

Here's a link to answer your question;

www.cdnn.info...

Checked the blog this morning and noticed a new entry. There's a few pics and a YouTube vid as well. While surfing I found another vid (in Spanish) which also shows the Yellow Submarine in action.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here's the vid lifted from the blog

Looks like we're not going to have to wait long to see what's at the bottom.

top topics

join