It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frankenstein Foods- Health Hazard or Not

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have read of the latest of two incidences of escape of Genetically Modified plants and their cross-breeding with natural plant species. This scares the hell out of me.

www.blackwell-synergy.com...

I have also had conversations with researchers who have worked with foods where foreign genes have been inserted into them (transgenics or Genetically Modified) and have been informed that they cannot verify if a small amount of toxin or cancer from the genetic modification could cause possible complications for humans, including cancer or changes in the gut flora. However, biotechnology companies seem to be going full steam ahead with the blessing of the Governments and venture capitalists.

Having done a bit of research, the following review suggests that fears of Frankenstein foods fall into the following categories:

www.biotech-info.net...

i) the inserted gene may itself have adverse effects;
ii) the inserted gene may code for a protein that is toxic to human beings or produces an allergic reaction
iii) the inserted gene may alter the way existing genes in a plant or animal express themselves, which may in turn increase the production of existing toxins or switch on the production of previously silent genes...

Without any rigorous scientific evidence but looking at precedents and by skewing the emphasis on possibiity of DNA contamination from these foods, they conclude that these are safe.

I am not convinced.

Yes selective breeding can cause far more gene shuffling than GM foods but at least if the plant does not survive, grow well, or rots too easily we have an excellent criterion for not selecting it in future. How do you know if that shining apple in the supermarket has genes silenced inside it artificially whch could have potential side effects?

In short, you don't!

This technology which is supposed to solve the world's food and hunger problems will not help poor farmers one iota. The seeds have to be re-sown year after year. And guess who sells them? Yep, the biotechnology companies.

We are witnessing a new evil, in the name of Science and if we do not stop it may do us more harm than good. But, at least you have a choice to buy it or not. I say we should insist on the clear labelling of all GM products with a large label on it so that we can make our voices heard loud and clear.

Otherwise - if you stand for nothing...

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
There is a 3-pages long thread on GM crops in the Fagile Earth subforum, which deals with various aspects, from soil depletion to direct toxicity.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

economically speaking, GM crops are only profitable for the large corporations that sell them, farmers need to be coerced or suckered into signing conracts:

the following post is merely speculation, because the link between GMOs and bee dieoffs has not been proven, but it does provide another example of escapedartificially inserted genes:

just for cross-reference.

join