It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What topics grab more attention?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Roaming this site before joining I noticed some topics get zero replies and some topics get 1000 pages of replies.

Now how do you keep a topic going for 1000 pages? (ats big thread)
How do you find a topic you know people will respond too?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hey

ATS has thousands and thousands of members visiting ATS. People who have all different interests and likes. So if you make a thread, fill it with your opinion, cold hard facts, and something for others to discuss, a thread about any topic has the chance to go far.

There will always be people on ATS who have an interest on whichever topic you post about, you just have to make the post good, and you will get replies.

Not every thread you make will get a bunch of replies, but if you keep making good ones, you will grab more and more of the members interest.

And then your thread will get 5 billion replies.

Well...maybe not that much

But it has a good chance of getting alot.

-enjoies

[edit on 14/5/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
oooh I see... do I HAVE TO have facts or evidence every time?
Some threads are like ya look at this - its real...

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Facts and evidence makes for a better thread.

And by the way, to be a Big Thread a thread needs 1,500 replies, not 1,000 pages.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
ok cool. Ill try making a thread later on and see what happens.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
First off, I'd like to welcome you to ATS!

What topics grab more attention?

Quite easily "Aliens & UFO's" anything else controversial works as well.

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Now how do you keep a topic going for 1000 pages? (ats big thread)
How do you find a topic you know people will respond too?

All I can say about that, is post something that you know about, and have researched. It's all about quality, rather than quantity.

There are quite a few threads that are many pages long, but are not what I would call quality material. On the other hand, there are also many quality threads, that by and large go almost completely unnoticed.

A part of it, I believe is in timing. If you post a thread lets say at 3:00 A.M. Eastern Time, it may not get any replies for quite some time, as many memebrs are asleep during that period. (as an example)

The other part, is the topic interesting to a broad audience, or to a narrowly focused group?

Usually controversial subjects garner a lot of responses, as the members post arguments (polite ones hopefully) for and against a certain issue, or aspect of the opening post.

oooh I see... do I HAVE TO have facts or evidence every time?

Generally, if you state something as a fact, it is expected that you can produce evidence that led you to that conclusion. Speculation and conjecture are permitted, but usually it would be good to mention that is is purely speculation or conjecture.

The moral of the story is, it's not how many replies a thread gets that makes it a great thread. It is the overall content, and especially the intent of the opening post that matters, imo.

Happy posting!

edit to add...

I mentioned the "Aliens & UFO's" forum above. In that particular forum, you may be greeted with a bit of skepticism. It is natural (especially in that forum) for some of the members to be skeptical. There have been many, many attemtped hoaxes perpetrated in that forum. So keep in mind that some forums you might feel a little intimidated by the skepticism. But don't let that get you down.

But also, listen to what they have to say, too. You may learn something that you had not known previously and may change your mind about certain things. It never hurts to say that you could be wrong, or were mislead into beling something to be true, only to find out otherwise. (through evidence, hopefully from multiple sources)

And speaking of evidence, try not to rely to heavily on any singular source. Try to find independent(sources that did not obtain their material from the same original source) corroborating sources. May not be possible in every instance, but in this case more is better.

Mechanic 32

[edit on 5/14/2007 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

join