It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could cigarettes become illegal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow, this is crazy.

Illegalize smoking, and see how many crazy people there are. Can't people just mind their own damn business these days. Let people live there lives how they want. I'd bet that most people wouldn't try to take away smoking from Native Americans because they use it for "spiritual" use, along with many other drugs that are much worse than smoking.

I think they should illegalize fast food before smoking. Fast food is much worse and you see the effects quicker than smoking.

Illegalize liberalism, all it is these days is about taking away freedom. There more laws you make, the more laws people will break. But I guess people want an elitest society.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Gah, it amazes me that people would abdicate personal choice and responsibility to the federal government 'so they could quit' like making it illegal would somehow lessen the power of addiction. If tomorrow the federal government makes smoking illegal you know what its going to do for your addiction? Nothing! If you want to quit you can, it just takes a little bleeping effort on your part.

As for the comments that the companies are at fault for selling a product that can give you cancer that is utter bunk. Again its shrugging off responsibility - nobody forces you to buy a pack of smokes, you made the decision yourself. Fast food, caffeine, salt, alcohol, and a host of other things are terrible for us; some people still eat at Burger King, drink a huge soda, and have a smoke on the ride home after they pickup a case of beer at the store, and some people don't. One person's desire to be healthy should not infringe upon the rights of another person to do what they want to their body, end of story.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What and lose millions of dollars a year in tax revenue, the politicians may have to go without a payrise, or extra superannuation. Cant see it happening.
Besides which it wouldnt stop me smoking because i enjoy it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Cigarettes will not become illegal until the anti-smoking advocates have succeeded in making the act of smoking a rarity, at which point the government will have little left of tax revenue from it, and public opinion will sway easily towards making it illegal.

For now, smoking will remain a legal, and common thing.

Plus, I love my nicotine... keeps me calm in extreme situations.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I was a smoker until two years ago, when I finally got tired of constantly worrying about the health effects, realizing that my lungs simply aren't designed for that purpose. But I think the second-hand smoke paranoia has gotten a little out of hand lately. If second-hand smoke were as dangerous as they say, none of us could possibly survive an encounter with a campfire or, god-forbid, a barbeque grill.

If we're going to ban cigarettes, we should ban them for the right reason: because they are a dangerous product that causes injury even when used as intended.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If the legality of drugs were determined by their health detriments/benefits, smoking would be illegal, and marijuana would be legal (depending of course where you draw that line).

I can name MANY prescription drugs with horrific side effects that make any hallucinations from pot look like a mere dizzy spell.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I am a non-smoker, at least of cigs. I have never smoked them and considering my age, it is unlikely that I ever will. They are bad for you, cost too much to be worth the effort,IMO, and are forever getting in the way of people driving in my lane.

Having said all that, baning them is not only creating one more law that WILL be broken, but is directly opposed to the basic idea of freedom. You cannot have the freedoms that you want, and restrict the freedoms someone else wants.

Freedom is the Right to do what ever you want as long as it brings no measurable harm to another free citizen. Now banning it in public, sure, others breath there too. Banning it in your car or in movies, no.

The same thing with seat belts. Children should have to wear them, adults should not. The same with life jackets, motorcycle gear, thousands of things.

Freedom is the right to choose things even if they are bad for you. If they kill or maim you, it's your own damn fault. Where are all the religious people on this? God gave you free will, why should the government at any level think they know more?

But instead of standing up for God, as they perceive Him, the worst ones to jump on the "Thou Shalt Not" wagon are those who aspire to high office and the applause of men. Because this is a 'movement' that the 'do-gooders' can get a cookie over, and feel morally superior about, it's a popular subject.

So if you want to feel smarter than God, and you really hate freedom, and you need a cause that everyone will pat you on the back for, go ahead. But just remember that you are crossing over into the camp of those that want to see freedom die.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I wonder what the effect on the daily death toll would be if millions of people were forced to quit by making cigarettes illegal? Road rage has nothing on how thin a person's nerves are when having a nicotine fit.

I could see it now: "Say Bob you voted to make smoking illegal didn't you?" "Why yes I did, because I really care about my health, the health of my family and the health of all other people so they can enjoy a long and happy life in the greatest country in the wo...what are you doing with that club, Bill?"

Just remember folks that cigarettes are a mild depressive. And you should really encourage that "evil smoker" to keep self administering that sedative as you really don't want him angry at you when give that "suggestive cough". That and many states now have CCW laws in place and lead tends to have more immediate negative health effects than passive secondhand smoke.

[edit on 17-5-2007 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't mean to be rude but I feel like the point is being missed...

IT IS NOT ABOUT LITERALLY TRYING TO MAKE CIGARETTES ILLEGAL

It's about government policy and decision making. I don't think cigarettes should be illegal, I'm not about restricting personal freedoms. My point is that sometimes you have to bring up something that sounds ridiculous and you know won't happen to shed light on an issue and start a debate.

The reason I used cigarettes for my example is that it was a clear case of the federal government defying its clearly written policy.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Some great comments here.

I live in one of the highest 'cigarette' taxed states in the USA (Washington State,currently #3 on the list) Cigarette sales tax chart (this is a pdf file btw)

This would be alot of lost state revenue,now where do you suppose that lost revenue is going to come from?

I have been smoking for 20 years,I like smoking,and I probably will never quit.I don't go to bars or out to eat so it really don't matter to me about this whole smoking in public.

That being said,what I do in my own house (within reason of course) should be my own damn business.

I for one respect the fact that some of you don't like smoking and thats fine with me,but don't start pushing your moral agenda/attitude down my throat by telling me about the ills of smoking.If I am minding my own business outside in the public,it would be ill advised to tell me that your offended by my smoking.

Last time I checked,everyone dies and that can not be avoided,so really,whats your point exactly?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic

Maybe we as ATS-members who smoke should try and stop together. And put a Thread up to get all the best methods to quit. Im pretty sure we would have alot of support from all the members up here on our little quest to quit smoking

Check this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
about second hand smoke has anyone read this..

www.smokersclubinc.com...

[edit on 30-5-2007 by Solari]

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This is a very hot subject in the Third World at the moment as more and more people are becoming smokers than ever before. The West is making it extremely difficult for people to smoke (deciding where you can and can't smoke) but here in the "Third World" smoking is still a huge money-spinner:

"In some parts of Africa, more than 45 percent of adults are smokers, compared with 24 percent in the U.S. Smoke clouds fill many airliners, bars, restaurants, and even hospitals. British American Tobacco (BAT), the world's second-largest cigarette maker, has fought to keep Africa a smoking zone, relying on friends like Uganda's President, Yoweri Museveni, who has called the company a lifesaver for providing tax revenue and jobs for his impoverished country." - findarticles.com...

In my country, they are now talking about making a law which will ban smoking in motor vehicles carrying children. Can you imagine having three screaming children in a car in rush hour traffic and somebody cuts you off? Oh my word! Road rage is going to spiral out of control.

Anyway, IMHO alcohol has caused more health problems than nicotine (how many people have too many cigarettes and then go home and beat up the wife?) and aspartame is still being peddled to the uninformed. Sheesh!

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Simple....not illeagle but not sold.
grow your own
if the government had any credibility they would do what I said,
but they have no credibility and therefore they continue to sell that crap and then have the war on drugs (ie pot) to make themselves even more assinine.

If so many people defend tobacco it amazes me they cannot support pot
they are no different.
its all BS

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The Government has no business telling me what I can put into my body. Why do we give in to this Bullsh##. America, home of the brave, land of the free my A55. This government keeps getting more and more power over us. They take an inch here and an inch there and before we know it, we can't do anything without a license or fear of incarceration. Something as simple as growing a pot plant in your back yard can put a good hard working American in jail. That's not the America we portray to the outside world though. Our Government has become a living nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if they outlawed cigarette smoking. What a bunch of weak fools we are for putting up with this oppressive government.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Pot is no different than tobacco? haha. I seem to remember being high off of pot. Cigarrettes do nothing to me.

No difference? Debunkify the myths surrounding marijuana. haha

top topics

<< 1   >>

join