It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

benefits of religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That's ok occam, I'm not trying to convince you of anything nor am I looking for an answer to the question I posed. I was simply making a point.

Trying to separate Christianity from things not of this world is like trying to separate science from things of this world. I'm sure my point isn't lost.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So, kinglizard do you think we could have science and Religion at the same time? That they could co-exist?

I believe they can just lack the knowledge of how to rightly debate this with another person.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think in many cases that science is just discovering what God set in motion or how God made things in this world.

[edit on 5/14/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
First, three definitions:

1) Spirituality: individual worship of God.

2) Religion: a guide for increasing Spirituality.

3) Science: knowledge of matter and forces.

Religion has had many positive influences on the world: increasing Spirituality, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, sheltering the homeless, providing medical care... However, like any human influenced organization, it is sometimes corrupt just as governments, corporations, nonprofits... are sometimes corrupt. I believe the net effect of religion, when it brings a person closer to God, is extremely positive.

Science, too, has done many wonderful things. The invention of paper, printing machines, computers, telephones, televisions... have had many positive influences on the love and care that can be shown between people. However, it has also had some negative influences: the invention of weapons of war and crime, pollution, poisons...

There is nothing wrong with being a scientist. However, to idolize science and deny the existence of God, might make it difficult to find Salvation.

I believe that if some people did not worship God and show appreciation for His creation, He would destroy the world.

Peace and Blessings.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Actually im right there holding on to that same thought. I pray I see the day when all this is cleared up. Doubtful though, as humans can do great things when they set their minds to it.

I mean look at that Pastor in Pennslvania that is getting arrested or got arrested for "preaching hate" about Homosexuality in the book of Romans.

I mean this world is getting out of hand. Hopfully soon, the world will put aside their differences and learn to love one another. I think that would be the biggest benefit...do you?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
oh the thread jacking. kl, my point in this thread is to show what religion has done for PEOPLE. making them believe in the religion isn't doing anything for them.

i see nothing but bad stuff. it's led people to be bigots. misogyny, racism, war, ignorance, suppression of science, classism, and much much more. all of that followed from religion. for once i wanted to see that there MAY be something positive to outweigh just a tiny bit of that

but you're basically saying religion is like a solo game, the only benefits of spending time with the game are in the game.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join