It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US soldiers hate Land Warrior

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thank you for clarifying the land-warrior system. I never have had a chance to wear it but I know how testing goes. when things do not work you fix it. IF it still does not work you pitch it. Something does work you improve it and IF something cannot be improved anymore. Make it smaller.... That is at least how I have viewed most testing in every field I have observed.

I know our peeps in the field get the proper training but that must still suck having to lug ammo/armor/electronics all over creation on your own 2-feet and your opponent is wearing a very long shirt, turban and an AK-47 and possibly in sandals or barefoot and can cover alot of ground real fast. Now add the dust and heat... Ugh.. I'd want to seriously consider ditching the weight.

I'll agree with the sticks/machine guns statement =) So till they run out of ammo lets keep passing our peeps machine guns and hope they can end the fight and come home before they have to sharpen the sticks.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

Originally posted by Morkoc96
Uh? If your referring to the war in Iraq we haven't lost hundreds of thousands of people. In fact not even five thousand people.

Well in the current war the toll is around two divisions worth of combat power ( those holding the guns and firing the shells) and the toll of the previous one is now in the hundreds of thousands of disabled that will never again serve in the US armed forces due to medical problems relating to those vaccines they were all forced to take.

Stellar

What do you mean by previous one? The first Gulf War? I don't think that in both of them combined we have even over 50k with disabilities. I'm not trying to be a jerk or fight you, but i'm just trying to see what you saying.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Its a start. You have to start somewhere. This whole system is a process to building something like this.

this is the Future Force warrior concept for 2020. It incorporates nanotech matierals along with the exoskeleton. I beleive that the pentagons aim in regards to how much this suit will weigh is 5lbs, which is nothing Some nanotehnologist from texas has devised a muscle like material that can actually make a man 100X stronger. Hes already been awarded a contract by the pentagon to build a working exoskeleton for the US military. The land warrior is just a step to making this FFW more possible. Remember when atario and nintendo first came out? Now look at what we have..xbox360 and playstion 3 among a few names... All a process to get to where we are today. This technology is open ended, meaning that there is no forseeable end to constantly improving upon it.

University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) nanotechnologists have made alcohol- and hydrogen-powered artificial muscles that are 100 times stronger than natural muscles, able to do 100 times greater work per cycle and produce, at reduced strengths, larger contractions than natural muscles. Among other possibilities, these muscles could enable fuel-powered artificial limbs, "smart skins" and morphing structures for air and marine vehicles, autonomous robots having very long mission capabilities and smart sensors that detect and self-actuate to change the environment.

The development of these revolutionary muscles was motivated by a visit of Dr. John Main from the Defense Advanced Projects Agency (DARPA) to Dr. Ray H. Baughman, Robert A. Welch Professor of Chemistry and director of the UTD NanoTech Institute. During the visit, Main described his visions of a future that could include such advancements as artificial muscles for autonomous humanoid robots that protect people from danger, artificial limbs that act like natural limbs and exoskeletons that provide super-human strength to firefighters, astronauts and soldiers -- all of which are able to perform lengthy missions by using shots of alcohol as a highly energetic fuel.

The fuel-powered muscles can be easily downsized to the micro- and nano-scales, and arrays of such micro-muscles could be used in "smart skins" that improve the performance of marine and aerospace vehicles. By replacing metal catalyst with tethered enzymes, it might eventually be possible to use artificial muscles powered by food-derived fuels for actuation in the human body -- perhaps even for artificial hearts

Nano Technologists Demonstrate Artificial Muscles Powered By Highly Energetic Fuels
www.sciencedaily.com...

Just picture if our soldiers had this suit now in a terrain such as Iraq? This suit would suit the US military well in urban warfare.

[edit on 053131p://1205pm by semperfoo]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Oh it's definately a start. And in the future i'm sure they'll get there at one point. But about the tech the soldiers are using now;

First of all I would like to remind everyone a little about programing - there is no such thing as a bug free system. That is just not possible. And even as the system gets tested and rewritten to fix glitches there will always be new ones resulting from the updates.

Those maps of theirs are always gonna have some sort of problems BUT they will get improvments to them. Bugs will be narrowed down until it's only minor glitches. But until they're narrowed down I don't think it's worth the $ to give it to soldiers. Don't get me wrong, I say fund this tech and develope it further to pave the way for future tech - but until the glitches are narrowed down this kind of gear shouldn't be given to slodiers in a war zone. If it's not working decently it could get the soldier killed, if he hardly uses it then it's not usefull, and if it's not put to good use and later gets damaged it's money wasted.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
This thread has developed in to a very interesting debate, but we do need to rethink the technology angle.

Everybody realises that it is the common puddle jumping, mud skipping infantryman with a bayonet on his rifle, that wins wars.

If he is not sent to attempt doing the wrong thing at the right time or the right thing at the wrong time.
I think there will eventually come a time where it will be puddle jumping, mud skipping, robot with bayonet/rifle that wins wars given they are not as badly used as infantry tends to be....

Once all the planes, guns and tanks have done their job, it is the PBI that engages the enemy at close quarter, oft in fierce hand to hand combat, to take and hold a piece of ground deemed important by some unseen general in a nice safe cushy billet behind the lines.

I would argue that it is the absence of enough planes, tanks, guns and the like , or human potential amplifiers if you will, that forces countries to employ their human capital ( and in my opinion the intent is in fact to get people killed) in such a wasteful manner. It is obviously far more logical/efficient to deploy a smaller force with superior equipment and ability while retaining the human capitol to reinforce such forces or finally resort to the expenditure of primary human capital.

The PBI need to be equipped with the best weaponry, ammunition and personal equipment, that money can buy. Ballistic armour and helmets need to be lightweight but capable of stopping .50 rounds. NBC protection should be incorporated in normal cammie clothing. Personnel should be allowed to purchase the footwear of their choice, provided it is up to the job.

If your going to send humans into a modern combat environment they should be as well equipped or better if they can be replaced with robotic systems entirely.

They need to have a self filtering water system that does not need replenning every couple of mouthfulls. Food needs to have a high energy
content and taste good.

Self sufficiency should always remain a priority for if and when command and control breaks down and supply chains becomes interrupted soldiers fights best when what they require is close at hand; it's after all hard or pointless to surround soldiers/forces that takes little or no morale or logistical penalty by having their supply train interrupted.

What the PBI does not need, are gizmos that attach to helmets, webbing or weaponry, weigh more than the PLCE kit they usually carry but above all, any electronic devices issued, should be top notch, work when required, be user friendly and not be a distraction to the end user when in the middle of a firefight!

The first radio's were not exactly light either but yes , i am not disagreeing.

In my opinion, those who design and manufacture said kit, should be forced to conduct realistic training under simulated war conditions to 'experience' what others do for real.

Which will not help much when soldiers and military men do not get to pick what they are issued because some congressmen lobbied successfully to have some half-assed company in his local district manufacture some knock-off's.
Unless the politicians can be shut out of research/development and the acquisition process the American armed forces will rarely get what they want.

The modern battlefield is not the place to test such equipment as it may cost lives, and that is not a price worth paying - by any parent.

Your telling this to people that will test vaccines or hundreds of thousands full well knowing that they contain dangerous substances that will probably disable the majority of those taking them within a few years. At best they do not care and at worse they are attempting to destroy the American armed forces from the inside out.

Stellar

top topics

<< 1   >>

join