It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Concept of KARMA - Origin and Context

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
All of us hear this word 'Karma' a lot many times while talking about almost everything related to being good citizens,sprituality etc. Where did this term originate? What does it actually imply?

Though their are numerous webpages talking about it. Let's find out the true sense of the concept.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Karma is a useful concept developed in India by the Hindus and it can be explained in at least six different equivalent descriptions

`````````````````````````````
added link

[edit on 11/5/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Karma is what I base My life around. Karma is what I teach My children who are turning out to be what I feel are a pretty good additon to this world. I've said a gazillion times that I believe if We are ever to be judged it will be directly related to how We treat Our fellow man. I take whatever situation at hand and weigh all of My options, which is important bcuz I tend to 'jump the gun', usually ending up wishing I had handled the situation differently. I also ask Myself will My decision 'hurt' or 'help' My spirit/soul. I'm a very empathetic person so I then put Myself in the other persons place to see how My decision will effect them as well. It's hard to do sometimes and I've even come out with the crappy end of the stick. About 6 yrs. ago I filed for a divorce bcuz I wasn't happy with My husband. We'd acquired the usual marital property, house, 3 cars, small savings acct. When I left I took the van (needed it for the kids), a freezer,my personal belongings and $1,000 of the savings for the attorney. I left everything else to him. I felt that since it was My decision to end the marriage He shouldn't have to be 'out'=Good Karma. Anyway, I think the concept of Karma lies in the belief that we are all connected, to cause harm to someone is to cause harm to Ourselves. It's a hard rule to live by, selfishness creeps in sometimes. Awareness, everyone needs to make themselves aware of how Our own actions/reactions effect everyone else around Us.

Peace. K*

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The word karma in Hindi means, "act, action", and is a part of a belief system in which your actions good, bad or indifferent influence the quality of your life.

It is supposed to be perticularly important at the time of death, during the review process of your life in the astral realm, to determine the life situation you will find yourself in during your next incarnation.

The reality of the situation is that it's basically a joke, because it's not even close to being fair. Good people treat others with love, and still suffer. Bad people screw good people and prosper.

In fact, this world tilts toward evil, because it was created by evil, and not good.

Why do you think most saints are broke, and swindlers are rich? And in the astral, please! It has long been infiltrated with dark spirits, who choose horrible lives for true Light beings in an attempt to break their wills, and reward those who would come into this world to commit violence, and break the will of true light beings.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Karma is a lot of times used to scare people and to explain 'unjust' world. For example children die and they say it was karma from previous life. That's just an excuse to keep people in poverty and to introduce castes.

In reality 'karma' is something working for you, but if you choose bad stuff and wish others bad, then universe will send you more of the stuff you focus on or ask for.

God really doesn't care if you want to suffer or be happy, you are bound by these laws as long as you work for yourself. When you decide to stop being a slave to yourself and work for God then you are free of any karma.

It is good to teach children to respect karma. Just never use it as an excuse not to help someone in need.

[edit on 13-5-2007 by detonator]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Thus shall you be freed from the bonds of actions yielding good and evil fruits; with the mind steadfast in the Yoga of renunciation, and liberated, you shall come unto Me.

This is an excerpt from Baghavad Gita. the most revered book of Hindus in India and around the world...Interesting ?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
'Karma' is also translated into 'action'. It is a way of expressing the improtance of our actions not only in this life but also in the lives to come.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Unfortunately Satansque has a view of karma based in ignorance of the wider teachings:

The reality of the situation is that it's basically a joke, because it's not even close to being fair. Good people treat others with love, and still suffer. Bad people screw good people and prosper.

Karma is most easily thought of as like a bank account, where our actions or deeds are the currency.

You can save in your account, spend lavishly and waste your savings or go into debt in which case you become enslaved by repayments over this and future lives.

No consideration of karma can exclude the concept of re-incarnation or past incarnations.

Sometimes the rotten luck which good people have is indicative of debts they have to repay from past lives. Other times it indicates that their souls have chosen to learn a specific lesson in this incarnation, before moving to another level.

Incarnation and spiritual development have ascending or descending levels like school has different class grades. The mistake is to view this learning experience as a tragedy.

The third aspect of this teaching or Dharma is that attainment of wisdom will free you from your bonds or debts of Karma.

This was the teaching of Buddha. there are many different and conflicting schools in Buddhism, which just in the same manner as Christian and Muslim sects fued over interpretations of original teachings, tend to focus on specific aspects of teachings and exclude others.

Generally the earliest teachings (in common with Hinduism) preach rigid abstinence and self denial of the material world. Later teachings of Buddhism talk of a middle way, being neither too good nor too bad, but focusing on the development of personal wisdom.

The historical Gutama Buddha only dictated one of the teachings personally and that was the Lotus Sutra.

Karma isn't a joke, but if you approach it with partial and incomplete understanding of what the teachings say it may make no sense.

Satansque makes the first mistake which most westerners make... that is to believe in the concept of personal injustice, or to believe that good deeds require material rewards. Some people have amazing wealth, but unhappy marriages, troublesome teenaged children and problems with alcoholism, so that they are only successful by one yardstick.

If your yardstick for happiness is simply money then like satansque, karma wont make much sense.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Karma is a lot of times used to scare people and to explain 'unjust' world. For example children die and they say it was karma from previous life. That's just an excuse to keep people in poverty and to introduce castes.

This is the way the concept of karma was used in certain societies (i.e. caste-system India). It is not the concept's only application and is, in my opinion, a corruption and over-simplification of the original idea.

The reality of the situation is that it's basically a joke, because it's not even close to being fair. Good people treat others with love, and still suffer. Bad people screw good people and prosper. (...) In fact, this world tilts toward evil, because it was created by evil, and not good.

Karma has nothing to do with fairness. The best way I've heard it described was as "cause and effect." Actions have consequences. If you steal something, for example, you may very well have to lie to cover it up. This can lead to more lies, more distrust, more fear. That is karma.

If you think about it, negative actions stem from ignorance and insecurity. People kill out of fear, out of hate, out of a bad place. Fear and insecurity are not qualities that are conducive to happiness. People who get rich by committing questionable acts are not happier for their wealth. On the other hand, people who are poor can be happy (a hard notion for some people to swallow). Material wealth has nothing to do with inner happiness.

There is injustice in the world, but injustice is a moral concept, and it is relative. Karma, when rightly understood, is a psychological concept. It describes a truth about consciousness; it doesn't judge.

[edit on 28-5-2007 by cambrian77]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
karma, that which lays around the corner when you choose to do this or that.

imagine, that you take a stop, and let all karma come to you and work it out and have no further karmic reactions anymore? is that possible?

are you freed then?

karma is just how your life is build up. it's the only thing you need to do, is to fullfill and then choose your karma. this is for the enlightened ones. no it ain't not.?

hm karma, ... now I've got to slap that whore for doing me. not! let us pretend.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
'As you sow so shall you reap'. All of the good one does will come back to the doer likewise all of the bad will come to roost but over several lifetimes. Unless you perscribe to 'instant karma' in which case this life alone would balance your account.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
be nice to everybody and you will be rewarded! that is all.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AryanWatch

This is Karma

top topics

join