It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand to Sue YouTube Over Clips Insulting the King

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Thailand's army-backed government plans to sue Internet video-sharing site YouTube over clips it deemed insulting to King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Thailand plans to sue YouTube, owned by Google, over charges of lese majeste -- insulting the monarchy, a serious crime here that carries up to 15 years in prison, the spokesman said.

Since the first clip, more new videos mocking the king have appeared on YouTube, including pictures of the monarch that had been digitally altered to make him resemble a monkey.

Thailand's 79-year-old king, almost universally adored by Thais, is the world's longest-reigning monarch, and one of the few who is still protected by tough laws that prohibit any insult against the royal family.

SOURCE:
PhysOrg.com

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

YouTube, owned by Google, is a company founded and based in America,
now correct me if I'm wrong, but here in the civilized (and I use that term
lightly) west we have a little something called freedom of speech and
of expression.

It will be a sad day if they can successfully do this.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Yeah the Thai's are very sensitive about their monarchy. I remember not long ago a swiss man was caught defacing a picture of the king.

10 years jail for insulting Thai king

Imagine if this was the same with the British royal family.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It seems that Thailand has now dropped its plan to sue Google.
However Google has lost my respect, as it agreed to remove all clips insulting the Thai king.

The Thai government abruptly scrapped plans to sue Google after the U.S. company agreed to remove from a Web site video clips deemed insulting to the country's revered king, an official said Friday.

Source

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Sorry to tell you, this is month old news. I posted it in this forum a little more than a month ago.

The news, that they are not gonna sue is from Bangkok Post yesterday though.

I'm gonna add it to my thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join