It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to Outlaw Corporate Prejudice Based on Genes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

US to Outlaw Corporate Prejudice Based on Genes

www.newscientist.com

Soon it will be illegal to deny US citizens jobs or insurance simply because they have an inherited illness, or a genetic predisposition to a particular disease.

On 25 April, the House of Representatives voted 420 to 3 to pass the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA). The Senate is expected to endorse the act within a few weeks, which is also supported by President Bush. "I am so stunned by the majority," says Sharon Terry, president of the Genetic Alliance, a charity lobbying for the rights of people with inherited illnesses.

"Clearly the House finally understood the incredible significance this has. The American public can now access genetic tests, feel safe about their genetic information not being misused and participate in research that involves genetic information."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think this is a fantastic use of Congressional powers. Frankly, I was worried about how genetic information such as this would be mis-used in the future.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well its about time. Surprisingly Bush approves of something good for once.

So yeah, I agree. This is great.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
this is a very good thing, but will it really change much of anything? maybe it will, but people will find other reasons to deny people a job, as long as they dont say its because of an inherited illness.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What about Genetic Privacy? Is this covered as well?

top topics

join