It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Connecticut wimps should stay out of Times Square

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Isn't it nice how the "War on Terrorism" has caused overreaction almost everywhere. On New Year's eve, Connecticut Congressman Chis Shays warned people to stay out of Times Square. And guess what... nothing happened. Our silver-spooned turned tough-guy mayor, Michael Bloomberg suggested Shays needs an "infusion of courage" and I couldn't agree more.

News coverage of this story can be found here: www.newsday.com While we can debate all the problems we see with our "alert system" of pretty colors and how it really doesn't tell anyone much about anything, we can pretty much agree that pointless fear and paranoia gets us nowhere. We here at ATS have long known that the goal of the terrorists is... well... terror. No matter who you believe is at the heart of initiating this terror, mental stress and fear is just as good as burning buildings to the modern terrorist. And caving in to so-called "chatter" and warning people to stay away is a sure sign of a lily-livered wimp who doesn't deserve to hang around longer than the next election. What say you? [Edited on 3-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
While I agree you can't let the terrorists win by being afraid, I think Shay's main point is being largely overlooked:

"If you have an alert system, you need to be honest about it," Shays said. "To tell people we have a problem and then to downplay a risk, it's an absurdity."

I'm inclined to agree. Nothing happened, so we bash Shays for reacting to a false alarm, but not The Department of Homeland Security for the false alarm in the first place?

I've seen Shays on video explaining himself as basically ~ We had an elevated alert; I just said I wouldn't be allowing my daughters to take that chance.

If the purpose of the mass reporting of the warning system is NOT to help Americans make safe, informed choices... then I say keep it to yourself. I'm not interested in a strictly CYA intelligence effort, that exists only to be able to say: we told you so if anything happens, but ignore us until it does.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
meh, stupid terrorists.... You Mr Overlord, that's the problem with you Yankees; here in Texas, the only terrorist is the man who's had too much beer.

None of this new-age plastic explosive duct taped to body with thermite ignition stuff.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It comes down to a personal decision, doesn't it? But the important fact is "the awareness". I have read posts and threads and such here at ATS that insinuate that because we are taking each "clue", each "hint" serious we are in left field and need to be brought home. That is simply not true. To be aware is not the same as being paranoid.

I do not agree with any official statement, as made by Shay, that folks should stay away from any given public event. That is crawling into a cave and letting the enemy win through "true terror". But I DO agree with his statements concerning "taking the threats seriously".

Each and every person who attended the Time Square New Years Eve party, or the Las Vegas party, or etc... Made a conscious decision that they would put that moment and experience ahead of fear. No one can say they are wrong, BUT the awareness MUST be there!

I am not as easily positioned to castigate Shay, even though I do not agree them. I simply believe that he acted in an extreme manner to an impending disaster that he has knowledge of.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hold on a minute... All those who are saying it "was a false alarm" need to take a step back, IMHO... Seems to me that no less than FIVE international flights have been CANCELLED in the past several days.

Ask yourself WHY? These flights are worth HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS to the airlines EACH. Do you honestly beleive that they would cancel them without VERY GOOD cause?!

How about this scenario? There was a VERY REAL threat, we figured it out and STOPPED it before it BEGAN?!

As far as the chicken form Connecticut goes, well yeah, he is allowing the terrorists their victory in a way. BUT if we are truly threatened we MUST act accordingly which I say we did. I DON'T think that means running home and hiding at all. It should cause us to use COMMON SENSE however. Which, again, I say we did by cancelling the flights. Staying OUT of Time's Square is just plain cowardice and defeatism...

It really AMAZES me when I hear people slam the Homeland Security and CIA for "False Alarms". These are usually the same folks who said our intelligence services were ASLEEP at the WHEEL when 9/11 happened.

These guys can't win for losing can they?!

PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Springer]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I just left time square...I was there 9/11..12...13...14.........1/3/04 ive been there since and Ill be there from now on long live downtown NYC. Terrorism will not overcome us

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
THAT'S the SPIRIT!

DAMN these wanna be's! They actually beleive they can scare us into submission!

I am a Texan and you are a New Yorker, what do you think their chances are?!

ZERO!

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
you got it ZERO.... TIME SQUARE WAS SO F'N CROWDED NEW YEARS EVE....
And Saturday night you could hardly get on the subway, so many people--touriists, New Yorkers,-- It was great.
Hey I would like to believe those flights were cancelled for good reason, in fact I know they were...It wasnt some jackass floor sweeper that overheard a dark man with curly hair say something ominous about a nonspecific aircraft leavin around 2 o'clock. C'mon. If someone said we intercepted the 9-11 planes, fools would be talkin' that noone could EVER POSSIBLY take down the towers. They would say we didnt intercept anything and our security is over cautious and full of it. Long live downtown

top topics

join