It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ga. Schools May Teach Bible Classes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Ga. Schools May Teach Bible Classes

www.breitbart.com

Georgia's public schools walk a delicate line as they decide whether to offer the nation's first state-funded Bible classes—measuring the difference between preaching and teaching with the likelihood of costly lawsuits looming for those that miss the mark.

The state school board approved curriculum in March for teaching the Bible in Georgia's high schools, but there hasn't been a rush of schools to start up the classes. Only a handful of the state's 180 school districts have agreed to offer the elective classes so far.

"It has been a very thoughtful, healthy process," said Robin Pennock, deputy schools superintendent of Muscogee County, where the school board decided to offer the Old Testament and New Testament classes next fall. "Most people do realize that this is an area that many people can feel very passionate about."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/2/2007 by shots]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If Ga. does go ahead with this I doubt it will make it past state courts let alone SCOTUS, but one never knows. Personally I do not think teaching religion in public schools is a very good idea.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/2/2007 by shots]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Why not? If they are using an objective approach, religions should be studied by kids in school. It is a big part about "growing up". Of course they should include all of religions, and as long as they don't enforce beliefs onto them.

[edit on 2-5-2007 by souls]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The bible pushing class, was to be under the history subject.

Big mistake taking into consideration that the bible is hardly a reliable history book.

Then the problem with GA being one of those state that when it comes with teaching history is far behind and many students have no clue the importance of real historical facts because they have not desire to learn.

And now pushing the bible as a history class with such a record on the students in this state is the most ridiculous and very clear attempt of bringing religion into public schools.

So far many students are not happy with this plan so the school system is trying to put it under another tittle.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Extra-Curricular... that is the only way ANY religious text should ever enter the school system. If the students want it, fine, do it... but don't make it part of their standard curriculum. That would be brainwashing, plain and simple.

School is a place to teach kids facts. The facts of chemistry, the facts of science, the facts of health, and history... teach them how to keep themselves healthy, teach them how to use the tools they will need in the future.
Religion is neither fact, nor a tool... its a blind belief system, and a control mechanism, it has NO PLACE in the education of a FREE society.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Only a handful of the state's 180 school districts have agreed to offer the elective classes so far.

Sounds like the class is one the students have to sign up for one their own. Thats what an elective class is ya? Not required or anything? So if the student choses to take the class, and someone whats to teach it, thats their choice. They should offer other religions as well. Understanding religions is important to understanding the world we live in.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
THE ONLY way I would find that acceptable is if it were a class called "Religous Studies" or something to that effect, and they would be REQUIRED to study all of the major religous textbooks. From the Holy Bible, to the Quran.

If the schools that my kids are attending started pushing one specific bible on them, I would heavily consider putting my kids in a different school.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
pushing the bible as a history class with such a record on the students in this state is the most ridiculous and very clear attempt of bringing religion into public schools.

I fully agree. It's an extremely BAD idea. And there is no doubt in my mind that the teachers using the bible would push their own interpretation of the 'facts' as well. :shk:

BTW - TEXAS is also trying to sneek the bible into public schools.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
BTW - TEXAS is also trying to sneek the bible into public schools.

I am willing to bet there are far more states then Texas and GA that are or will attempt to add it into their school;s. It just so happens in this case the public learned about it meaning the media and they are alerting people that it may be coming.

As someone mentioned though this may make it for just one reason the course is elective and not mandatory.

My guess is that the ACKU will object on the grounds that government funds are being used to teach religion

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

My guess is that the ACKU will object on the grounds that government funds are being used to teach religion

What does the ACKU do? ACLU maybe.

I think teaching religion in School is a great Idea as long as it is Comparative Religion and not just Christianity.

But I have a feeling that this is just an attempt by Conservative Christians at establishing a National Religion.

There are way to many Jews for this to ever happen in America.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The problem is that when it comes to comparative religion that is not the desirable target, many organizations has tried to tell the school system that teaching Comparative Religion as an academy subject will be a great way to stop religious illiteracy in this nation.

It could help with stopping the many religious superstitions created by different religious groups trying to make their brand of religion the right one and the only one. However, as usual religious groups that control this country immediately complain that our children do not need any other teaching of religions but they only need the bible and Jesus.

This is only bringing more control of fundamentalism and pushing of one religion in schools. Nothing than to make children become more religious illiterate, and to damage more the increasing historical illiteracy that is plaguing our curriculum.

Pity.

[edit on 3-5-2007 by marg6043]

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by shots

What does the ACKU do? ACLU maybe.

My bad missed that. Yes it was meant to read ACLU

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have no problems with this as long as it is handled properly. As mentioned, it is an elective so the kids have a choice - they don't have to take it if they don't want to. However, I feel it needs to cover all major religions - Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddism, etc.

Whether people agree with religion or not, it is a part of life and culture and if taught in an educational manner rather than a preachy manner it could be beneficial. A lot of people don't like other religions because of ignorance.

I also feel that a credited theologist should create the curriculum and teach the class, not just the gym teacher filling in a spot that is needed.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea. Rather than teaching the Christian faith, they should focus solely on the Bible, its history, and authors. There's no damage done on knowing the history and context of the scriptures, as long as the students aren't forced into believing what's written in the Bible, if they're not Christian.

This should be a step into the right direction for teaching about faiths. Next, I hope they make classes teaching about the Tripitaka, Vedas, and Quran.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The problem is . . . that comparative religion is not the target here . . . but fundamentalism is what is the target.

After all it seems that religion maybe losing some luster among young people and to keep the money coming to support the church . . . we must target children that will become the supporters in the future.

It should be all religions or none.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

It should be all religions or none.

I agree but if it were possible. Atheists insist there is no god so they will not want it. Others claim their god is the only god so they will not want it, you get the drift, and yes it should be all religions or none.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I know shots, that is why the subject of religion in schools is such a touchy one.

I may not believe in the some parts of the bible but still the bible is the most fascinating book ever written and its historical value is great but not as a history book.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All or none, I agree. Teaching the bible alone is not good enough, and you cannot convince me that there is not any way that these classes are not going to push one view, rather taking an objective look at the bible in a historical sense.
If government money is are going for this, than ALL or none, or all and none should been the curriculm for that class.
I personally think they should teach Pastafarianism.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I may not believe in the some parts of the bible but still the bible is the most fascinating book ever written and its historical value is great but not as a history book.

When I was brought up we were taught never to take the bible literally, we were told to make of it what we will and use it only as a general guideline. There are far to many things written in the bible that makes one think what they claim actually happened as they claim.

For instance God created Adam and Eve, they had two children Cain and Able so where did we come from, incest ? I know there is a reference to two sisters but that is according to Allah who appeared 500 years after Jesus died.

Next instance Noah, how on earth could he have traveled the WHOLE planet to gather one of each animal? How could he have lived so long?

I could list more but you get the idea there are far to many unanswered questions as to what is true and what is just a fable.

Now given just the few errors I have noted how can they really teach religion? As I see it all they could teach is the theory of believing in a higher Deity.

[edit on 5/3/2007 by shots]

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I agree shots . . . this bring other issues found in the old testament that are not suitable for children discussions in the classroom.

Incest comes to mind, adultery, murder and many very none suitable moral issues.

All this can be found in the bible.

But as we know the only reason to bring the bible into school is to teach about the new testament and Jesus.

As to perpetuate the religious foundations of this nation without objective thinking.

top topics

join