It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and EU agree 'single market'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

US and EU agree 'single market'

news.bbc.co.uk

The United States and the European Union have signed up to a new transatlantic economic partnership at a summit in Washington.

The pact is designed to boost trade and investment by harmonising regulatory standards, laying the basis for a US-EU single market.

The two sides also signed an Open Skies deal, designed to reduce fares and boost traffic on transatlantic flights.

But little of substance was agreed on climate change.

However, EU leaders were pleased the US acknowledged human activity was a major cause.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well, I don't buy it that it was only meant to better the rates for airfares. Besides, unless there's more information that I missed, the Constitution would forbid this.

Article 1, sec. 8 of the US Constitution states: Congress shall have the power "To regulate commerce with foreign nations". A pact is signed by the President, not Congress.

What's next? A common currency? *sniff sniff* I smell NWO in the works.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The Congress has to approve of all treaties that the president signs,
so they would have had to have signed this.

Personally I approve of this, it woll not only foster closer ties between
the United States and Europe, but will allow for fairer trade.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I completely understand and agree that Congress should have had to approve of this venture. However, nowhere in the article does it state Congress had any input. That's what I'm looking for, but so far to no prevail.

If Congress had no part in this "pact", the pact is unconstitutional.

Further quote from the story:

The two sides agreed to set up an "economic council" to push ahead with regulatory convergence in nearly 40 areas, including intellectual property, financial services, business takeovers and the motor industry.
source

Creating an "economic council" would be of the powers set forth for Congress, not the President.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well perhaps they did not think they needed to mention that Congress
approved of it, it's not that uncommon, since most people don't really
pay that much attention.

You know, if you think about it, this would be more deregulating it, so is
that counted under the Congresses job.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't see anything that would indicate a "deregulation" of the "foreign commerce". Further searching around, I still can't find anything to indicate Congress's involvement in this action, as well.

This is the formation of a new "foreign commerce" leg, and is clearly unconstitutional. The president does not have the power to do these things on his own. The Constitution prohibits it.

He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur
source

new topics

top topics

join