It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380 for space tourists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No, not a pun on the superjumbo's internal volume, nor is it going to be launched vertically, but I have found thios artuicle which refers to the A380F being adapted to launch TWO sub-orbital vehicles in, I presume, the Space Ship Two class.

Rutans carrier, although holding only one vehicle, does seem a more efficient way of going about it at first glance.

A380 launch vehicle plan

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think this is a study for studies sake. Having a A380F dedicated to this seems a very expensive approach.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Call me a noob if you like, but can you depressurize a plane like this at the altitude required to launch sub-orbital space craft ?

I think they could come up with something better than the A-380 for a job like this.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Call me a noob if you like, but can you depressurize a plane like this at the altitude required to launch sub-orbital space craft ?

A noob question deserves a noob answer. Thus, I shall supply! It occurs to me that rather than shock depressurization at altitude it might be a better idea to simply not pressurize the main cabin area. This way we haven't got the shock depress causing damage with the smallest projectiles. But then again, that's just my thoughts. I'm no expert on the effects of depressurization.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

I think they could come up with something better than the A-380 for a job like this.

Sure you can. There's a pressurization control in the cockpit. You can depressurize or change the pressurization level in the cabin.

It looks something like this.

Different planes will use different looking controls, but they are basically the same as far as operation goes.

And as for the noob question, yah gotta learn somehow!

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Thats exactly right. Either do not pressurize it at all or gradually do it so as to allow a shirtsleves environment for technicians and the passangers up to the point of launch.

Its not that farfetched as it seems. In 1974 a minuteman i was launched from a C-5.

The drawback of cource is the volitile load of fuel in each spaceplane.

Edit: How quickly we forget the lessons of Superman Returns and launch vehicles

But seriously, why would anybody use a new A380F instead of an older 747 etc? The reason being is that the A380F would and should be able to generate far more revenue moving cargo than it would from this enterprise IMHO.

[edit on 4/27/07 by FredT]

top topics

join