It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Moving under Antartica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Scientists have recently discovered that something is moving under the ice of Antartica.

Some years ago, a spy satelite image of Antartica revealed an anomaly two miles beneath the ice...

Antartica Moves

I for one, would love to see what lies beneath all the ice.

Who knows what treasures could be there?

[edit on 25-4-2007 by TheDuckster]

Mod Edit: CAPS in title

[edit on 4/25/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here is another link to the story:

Antartica Moves

I remember when the Larsen B ice shelf
in Antartica came loose.

Is what happening to Antartica, resulting in 'Global Warming', or another plausible explanation?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It would be great to discover that there was an ancient civilization on antartica! However if there is structures and such, i would be worried that they will get damaged by the melting snow and ice and be damaged or washed away for us to never find.

As to guess what is moving under there? To me it is probably a normal thing that happens. The reason it is coming to our knowlage now, is because we have had satellites for only so many years taking pictures and recent ones are diffrent. I will venture to say, however, that gobal warming could be speeding it up,and/or making it more dramatic.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Reform America]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Plate tectonics....read about it. It describes the movement of segments of earth. Its nothing new believe me-nothing to get all worked up about. I know this is an outlandish website, but Martians arent going to explode from beneath Antarctica or anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Plate tectonics....read about it. It describes the movement of segments of earth. Its nothing new believe me-nothing to get all worked up about. I know this is an outlandish website, but Martians arent going to explode from beneath Antarctica or anything.

Just a cursory glance at the links provided and using already well-known science, Plate tectonics have nothing to do with this, so please save the patronising remarks.

Sub-glacial lakes are your answer, not the ever-so-slow moving of the planets crust.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Indeed it is about lakes... they found out that a constant system of lakes exists under the ice. These lakes have their water squeezed out them once in a while due to the enormous pressure from the iceflows above. This squeeze then moves the water from one lake to another and the same thing happens again. When one lake is "emptied" the elevation lowers and when the other lake fills up the elevation around that rises...

But read the article, it's pretty interesting about the mechanics of these iceflows. When you have read the first page use the link at the bottom to go to the next. Unfortunately they didn't make it obvious that this article is in several pages...

EDit: Btw... I mean the nasa one... not that alternatice ufo thing...

[edit on 26/4/07 by flice]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
in that cursed land only something evil could hide,sorry my shaman side talking

top topics

join