It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible first earth-like plan­et "super- Earth" found out­side our So­lar Sys­tem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Here you find a great video from starlightlearning.com, explaining the whole story perfectly into detail.

```````````````````
You have a U2U

[edit on 25/4/07 by masqua]

[edit on 25/4/2007 by rai76]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Fantastic news
Lets hope they still have a TV or radio on somewhere

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
who cares? why would we want to go there and destroy another planet? let well enough alone.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Pepsi78 -

That laser telescope system is to be activated by 2010 I believe:

seds.org...
Future satellite projects:

Future projects:
Agile (ASI, Italy)
Gamma-ray astronomy satellite. Scheduled for launch on April 23, 2007 with PSLV (India). Agile Homepage (Agile team); Agile Homepage (ASI); Agile Homepage (INAF).
DUO
Dark Universe Observatory (Nasa, Germany). X-ray survey. In essence, a reflight of ABRIXAS. To be launched August 2007 with Taurus. DUO page (Nasa)
GLAST (GSFC/Nasa)
Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope. Scheduled for launch with Delta 2 on December 14, 2007. GLAST homepage
GSAT 4 (India)
UV observations. To be launched in December 2007. To carry the UV telescope TAUVEX, originally scheduled as Israeli part of SXG. TAUVEX homepage (Indian Institute of Astrophysics, IIAP)
RadioAstron (Russia)
Radio astronomy satellite, to be launched in January 2008. (formerly scheduled for late 1997 to 1998, then 2002, 2006). RadioAstron Project Web Site (RSSI)
Herschel, FIRST (Esa)

````````````````````````````````
edited big cut/paste and added 'ex' tags

[edit on 25/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
#1 most viewed and emailed story on Yahoo, CNN, and MSNBC online news but I have still yet to see any mention of this on CNN or MSNBC TV news. What a shame. I hope they cover it later on in the afternoon. I'm sure they'll talk about it for a few seconds and then chuckle.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by classified material
#1 most viewed and emailed story on Yahoo, CNN, and MSNBC online news but I have still yet to see any mention of this on CNN or MSNBC TV news. What a shame. I hope they cover it later on in the afternoon. I'm sure they'll talk about it for a few seconds and then chuckle.

Strange because it's news in the whole world. I even saw it this morning on breakfast news in the Netherlands. Every news site there is in The Netherlands is covering this story..

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Do you think life will be found on another planet in your life time? (CNN.com poll)

Go to www.cnn.com...

Scroll down a bit and look on the right hand side. You'll see the poll.

Interesting that so far over 60% say NO.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Do you think life will be found on another planet in your life time? (CNN.com poll)

Go to www.cnn.com...

I demand a recount!

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

Go to www.cnn.com...

I demand a recount!

Extreme christians... or what ignorant cult believes that humans are unique to the universe?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Actually, I voted no as well
I do believe it will happen eventually, just not while I'm alive.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nihil
Actually, I voted no as well
I do believe it will happen eventually, just not while I'm alive.

Yes that will be my opinion too, I don't believe it will happen in my life, but we will hopefully come close to it.

Everyone should by the way watch this video from starlightlearning.com which I posted earlier. It really explains it well.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by johnsky
Wouldnt 5 times earths mass mean 5 times it's gravity? Maybe I'm just so tired at the moment I'm forgetting something...

Either way, this is a great find by the astronomers. If life had started there, I wonder what a creature built to move in 5 G's would look like?

I can imagine if they could live on earth they possibly would be VERY strong?

I know this may sound silly, but didnt Kryptonite get discovered a few days ago. I know its not real Kryptonite ,but its formula is the stuff in the comic books. Then what do we have possible living planet with a Red Sun and higher gravity than earth, behold Krypton

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I know this may sound silly, but didnt Kryptonite get discovered a few days ago. I know its not real Kryptonite ,but its formula is the stuff in the comic books. Then what do we have possible living planet with a Red Sun and higher gravity than earth, behold Krypton

So, if there are aliens on "C", they will come to Earth sporting an ill-designed spandex suit, tight's and their underpants on the wrong side of their trousers?

Shocking stuff...............

(Interesting as well that the Planet has been dubbed Super-Earth)

[edit on 25/4/07 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So, if there are aliens on "C", they will come to Earth sporting an ill-designed spandex suit, tight's and their underpants on the wrong side of their trousers?

Well at least they would wear something, those greys always seem naked! That creeps me out.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Here you find another picture.

Link to picture

Link to 2nd picture

Added another picture

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
ok guys exoplanets are my turf and while this is great news its not the "holy grail" we truly seak. But its getting closer

Im encouraged by the positive responses to this news but the good stuff will happen WITHIN 5 YEARS WE WILL FIND A TRUE EARTH LIKE PLANET. (size, type G2V star like our sun, in the habitable zone)

This discovery is amazing becuase it was thought we wouldnt be able to detect planets this small from earth based observatories. The race is definitley on between space & ground telescoped to see who can find the 1st true "earth size" planet (between 0.75 & 2 Earth masses)

This one is 5 times the mass of earth hence the name "super earth".

Of course anything is possible and it may have life there im sure future telescopes will tell more about the conditions.

NASAs kepler telescope which launches in 2008 will bring home the bacon for exoplanet fans.
Then we will use ESA Darwin or Nasas Cronograph to tell us about the planets atmospheres- exciting times in astronomy.

This summer ESA will announce some results from COROT. Im hoping for at least a couple confirmed true earth size planets but again they will be around red dwarf stars like this one. Still possible of ET life but maybe trickier than our own solar system.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Honestly I think we should start a petition to get it named Krypton. I think it would be a great way to commemorate finding our first living planet beyond Earth.

[edit on 25/4/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is the official press release on video

It is very good to see that they are releasing it so well in the media.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This new planet circles around a red dwarf star.

Here some info about red dwarf stars:

Red dwarfs are low-energy, tiny stars that give off dim red light and last longer than stars like our sun. Until a few years ago, astronomers didn't consider these stars as possible hosts of planets that might sustain life.

The discovery of the new planet, named 581 c, is sure to fuel studies of planets circling similar dim stars. About 80 percent of the stars near Earth are red dwarfs.

Doesn't this make it more exiting to know that 80% of our stars are red dwarf stars? There is so much more to find. I really think in the upcoming years there will be a lot of more discoveries.

Also NASA is launching their Kepler mission which is even more ambitious. This spacecraft would be the first capable of detecting Earth-sized planets in our galaxy.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Actually I went to CNN right about now and saw another poll:

"Does intelligent life exist on other planets?"

A whopping 83% said YES!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join