It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible first earth-like plan­et "super- Earth" found out­side our So­lar Sys­tem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
raill76 , I agree its exciting & red dwarf stars are still on the tabel in the search for life but they do present problems.

- planets in the habitable zone are so close they would be tidally locked to the star like our moon is to earth. This means the planet does not rotate one side would be permanent daytime the other permanent night. Also red dwarfs are very active and solar flares pose a massive risk to life.

BUT we truely dont know what the effect is. Recent computer models suggest if the planet has a slightly thicker atmosphere with more co2 its possible for the heat to be transfered around the dark side giving an overall nice tempreature.

Others say the side in permanent day would just get fried over million of years and the dark side would freeze. :/

Im optimistic just becuase theres so many of them and life is adaptable.

A civilization could be on a planet around a dwarf star and look at our Sun and think "wow a planet around that star would be subjected to a relentless day/night cycle & the planet would be on a tilt making it unstable- life could never exist there!" but they would be wrong! Im not ruling them out yet

[edit on 25-4-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
In this infinite universe of ours, it comes as no surprise to me that there would be other planets similar if not identical to our Earth somewhere out there.

This is just preconditioning, watch, something major is gonna come. They are getting us ready for the idea of other life like ours out there, and the Truth is, they are already here, and we all know it, the UFO stories arent for nothing.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The planet's a little denser than the Earth(by a ~factor of >3?) and so this is possibly due to a different elemental composition? new ones perhaps?

Wonder what this density translates into..
Is it something as simple as 'more gravity'?

What impact does this have on life-bearing parameters?

On a separate note: How as the Vatican responded to this?
I vaguely remember a recent thread here on ATS about some Vatican official stressing on the importance of searching for habitable life-bearing planets other there..

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
the vatican is good to go with ETs , theres no problem at all. God created the universe so if ETs exist he created them too. Thats their opinion.

The vatican even have their own observatory and also do not endorse the intelligent design "scientific" movement. Theyre not scared of finding life their scholars expect it.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
guys.... please keep this thread alive and provide any news available for it.... no matter how small it is... this is extremely exciting. keep up the good work! i hope we find something soon... i'm so impatient lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
the vatican is good to go with ETs , theres no problem at all. God created the universe so if ETs exist he created them too. Thats their opinion.

The vatican even have their own observatory and also do not endorse the intelligent design "scientific" movement. Theyre not scared of finding life their scholars expect it.

That also appears to be the general concensus among Islam as well. The Koran explicit states that God/Allah created other worlds.

Not sure about the other Major Religions, but I'm pretty sure they'd have their bases covered also.

niv

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason Not sure about the other Major Religions, but I'm pretty sure they'd have their bases covered also.

If not, you can bet safely that they will quickly alter their theology to accept aliens (and cover up any of their previous contrary views).

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by yeti101

That also appears to be the general concensus among Islam as well. The Koran explicit states that God/Allah created other worlds.

Not sure about the other Major Religions, but I'm pretty sure they'd have their bases covered also.

Theres plenty of evidence in some religions of other worlds. You should see my Seven Earths post here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some of the planets even have red suns.

[edit on 25/4/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So.......... NASA, who can't even get working equipment to Mars, suddenly finds this earth-like planet, which is hundreds of trillions of miles away?

Anyone else think they were TOLD by aliens where to look? I do.

Wonder what they traded for that kind of information?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
well if i'm nost mistaken, it wasn't nasa who found it, it was some european astronomers.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeffery2102
well if i'm nost mistaken, it wasn't nasa who found it, it was some european astronomers.

Some? I beg your pardon

I think they need 'some' more credit than that !

[edit on 25/4/2007 by rai76]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

suddenly finds this earth-like planet...

The 1st exoplanet was discovered in 1995. Its taken 12 years to discover this one and its still 5 times the mass of earth. If et gave us this info it wasnt very good.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76

Some ... as in - more than one. The poster wasn't being snotty.

Either way, considering how far out it is and how certain they sound about it, I think they got a little help from ET finding it. IMHO.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by rai76

Some ... as in - more than one. The poster wasn't being snotty.

Either way, considering how far out it is and how certain they sound about it, I think they got a little help from ET finding it. IMHO.

I know, I also said it with a

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
LOL flyersfan

radial velocity
transit
microlensing

are the 3 techniques astronomers have been using to detect exoplanets. They have found over 200 so far. exoplanet.eu...

Your also calling these scientists frauds claiming they found it themselves. please its insulting . Also its one of the closest exoplanets found. Not far away at all compared to others.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
5 times the gravity of this earth so that would mean if you went there stayed for a while then came back you will be 5 times stronger

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well this is VERY EXCITING and all I have been able to think about for the last 24 hours.

I know I am a dreamer but when the posts in this thread turned to Superman, I got goosebumps. How awesome it would be if there was a Superhuman race that was truly good and only wanted to help us!!! But Superman in all his glory always gives me goosebumps but that would be so freaking cool. Okay sorry, went all 10 yr old for a minute....

But this is so amazing, even if it's not the "Holy Grail" still very cool and closest we have come and may get in my lifetime so I am going to relish any piece of information I can get.

Okay back to my daydreams of a superhuman race.....

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think or as we say IMO more and more will come to light for on 7/7/07 is the 60th Anniversary of Roswell.

It seems things have been picking up, interesting times I think.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It seems that the planet orbits in 13 days around it's red dwarf. I am wondering what kind of life there is possible because everything gets old quite quickly.

Another thing is that it's sun is an ancient star, it is one of the oldest stars in the galaxy and therefore extremely stable. If there is life, it has had many billions of years to evolve.

Also Gravity is 1.6 times as strong as Earth's so a 150-pound person would feel like 240 pounds.

Here you find another very interesting read and analyses.

www.thisislondon.co.uk...:+The+New+Earth/article.do

[edit on 25/4/2007 by rai76]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
rai76, time is relative it wouldnt be faster or slower on that planet not to the biology if it exists there

also there is no day/night cycle on this planet. Permanent day on 1 side - night on the other. It does not rotate.

tbh theyre biging it up becuase its the smallest planet weve found. In a few years when we start finding true earth size planets around G type stars this will be forgotten about pretty quick.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join