It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My next survival/hunting rifle

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I had a opertunity to shoot a sig556 earlier today. Wow what a rifle. this thing is dead on accurate. Light and built to take abuse. It retails for $1255.00 american. Price seems pretty steep but when you look at what it does, and how its built, its worth it to me. This will be my next survival/ hunting rifle. ime even going to sell one possibly two of my other fire arms to get this one.

SIG556 info

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wow, that is an awesome looking weapon. When did Sig begin making rifles? I had no idea.
If we get a couple of hurricanes this year (knock on wood) and i get at least 5 months of steady claims, I may look into this rifle a little more.
thanks for bringing it to my attention

edit: I cant seem to find what round it takes?

[edit on 21-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
@ Kr0n0s

The round its chambered for is part of the name:p hence calling it the Sig 556 as in 5.56mm also known as the .223 cal round. Same bullets the M16/M4 line of rifles fire.

The SIG 556 also features an ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines.

That is a very nice feature set so your not locked into only buying your mags from them not to mention if you really have spare money to blow you can get a Beta C-Mag. If Sig's reputation for making solid service pistols is any indicator of the quality of this rifle I would say the price tag is justified, especially since its still cheaper than some of the high end M4s put out by companies like DPMS, Rock River, etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That feature of having the gas piston work a operating rod to begin the cam over position on the bolt verses the old system in use on many M16s/Ar15s is a better system. This is the system in use on my SKS rifles. A gas piston operating a rod to disconnect the bolt. This is why these newer rifles can go so many rounds without malfunctions as is not the case with the older AR15s/M16 rifles.
Prolonged shooting of my AR15 causes powder buildup around the bolt area as there is no piston rod system..just straight gas back to the bolt.
Clearly a superior system. I believe this is also the system used in the HK 416 rifle which looks similar to the M16 series and also with superior results.

Congtatulations on your selection,
Orangetom

[edit on 21-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
IMHO the 5.56 NATO/.223 Winchester round is unsuitable for hunting anything weighing more than 125-150 lbs thin skinned game in most hunting situations. Even the newer 77 grain loads aren't very effective against large game like wild boar. A friend of mine used the 77 grain bullet at about 90 yards or so from a Savage bolt action rifle on a boar's skull shot and the bullet failed to penetrate the skull and only superficially wounded it. It took 2 more rounds through the body to bring it down and that ruined a lot of meat. The older 7.62 x 39mm is much more effective on meat game animals in the less than ideal world of most hunting situations. The hunting 154 grain Wolf spitzer ammo has been very effective out to 200 yards for me. Both the the 7.62x 39mm and 7.62 x 51 NATO rounds in the numerous semi-auto and bolt action rifles that are chambered for them would be my first choices for survival/hunting rifles.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Seriously hot weapon man. I sure would like to shoot one myself.
post some pics once you get it home. My bud just bought The BFG-50A semi-automatic rifle. I get to try it out when I get up that way. Here is the site.
BFG 50cal

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here is what I'm think of.

www.lwrifles.com...

Scroll down to see it in action.

Roper

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
IMHO the 5.56 NATO/.223 Winchester round is unsuitable for hunting anything weighing more than 125-150 lbs thin skinned game in most hunting situations. Even the newer 77 grain loads aren't very effective against large game like wild boar. A friend of mine used the 77 grain bullet at about 90 yards or so from a Savage bolt action rifle on a boar's skull shot and the bullet failed to penetrate the skull and only superficially wounded it. It took 2 more rounds through the body to bring it down and that ruined a lot of meat. The older 7.62 x 39mm is much more effective on meat game animals in the less than ideal world of most hunting situations. The hunting 154 grain Wolf spitzer ammo has been very effective out to 200 yards for me. Both the the 7.62x 39mm and 7.62 x 51 NATO rounds in the numerous semi-auto and bolt action rifles that are chambered for them would be my first choices for survival/hunting rifles.

Agree with you on the hunting abilitys of this rifle. However no doubt about its accuracy compared to my SKS. I much prefer a .30 cal. or better for hunting but dont like the big bruisers so many are wont to describe in some of these threads.

There is one thing this caliber has going for it in survival situations...and that is ..it is a caliber that most women can use or learn to use...verses the big .30 calibers like my Garand or 1903 Springfield. THe SKS calibers are also to me suitable for women...not being overpowering like the 30,06s.
That is alot of moneys..for a rifle. I only picked up a AR 15 because it came at a inexpensive price due to the seller needing some moneys.
My personal thirst for a rifle of this type is the DSA FN/FAL rifles I keep seeing up at my local gun shop. THey are beautiful no doubt and shooters. But alas ...I am bought out. I dont really need another caliber to stock and for which to reload. This is a heavy rifle weight wise and not suited to the stature of most women and even some men.

Nevertheless...I think this is a better rifle than the issue AR 15/M16. If it was the only rifle one had...it would have to do for hunting in a survival situation...and yes..the heavier bullets would be necessary...soft points not FMJs.

By the way Crgintx...I have received another 500 rounds of brass in 7.62X39 caliber and have purchased also some 500 rounds of bullets in spire point. 125 grains for reloading. I intend next to purchase some heavier bullets in 150 grain spire points but .308 diameter ..also for reloading.
My thanks again for that reloading data in the thread... "How to defend yourself on a budget."

Orangetom

[edit on 21-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I'm envious. It's just colt and bushy m4's here. I haven't got around to purchasing a gas piston upper but would love too someday. Please write a review for us when ur new toy arrives, I would really like to hear about your experiences with that weaponry. Later and have fun.

- NSBiz

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The SIG series of rifles are indeed very attractive and accurate weapons. However I'm not too sure that I would pick an 'assault' type rifle as a primary hunting platform in sit x, particularly not in 5.56mm. Any of you who have read my posts before know that I am a big fan of this round, but I am aware of it's limitations.

A decent .308 (7.62 x 51 NATO) will be much more useful for hunting any sort of game. The round is heavy enough to kill the majority of game in the northern hemisphere without you having to chase down a wounded animal, which is not ideal when you're already tired, cold, wet and hungry (as you will probably be in a survival situation). It is cheap and relitively easy to come by (as is the 5.56mm I suppose), and is available in more configurations than just about any other .30 cal round. Yes it is a bit snappier in the recoil department, but a rifle in sit x will be a carry often use little piece of machinery. Also, any decent survivalist will practice often with their shooter which will allow them to get used to the firing characteristics of their rifle.

For action type, I would rather have a dedicated hunting platform than an assault rifle base. Something that is designed to rely on accurate first round placement to kill an animal rather than rapid follow up shots on multiple targets. Also, if a weapon is capable of firing quickly then you are more likely to do so thereby using more ammunition. As ammunition will be hard to come by in a survival situation, proper shot placement is a priority. Untrained people tend to try to substitute accurate shot placement with multiple shots. I hate to use the expression spray and pray but...

Bolt action hunting rifles require less looking after that a semi as well (in general). I'm not advocating shoddy weapon maintainance here, but real life dictates that you will have enough on your plate worrying about staying alive, so weapon cleaning may fall a bit lower on your list of priorities.

It's what your comfortable with that counts I suppose.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
The SIG series of rifles are indeed very attractive and accurate weapons. However I'm not too sure that I would pick an 'assault' type rifle as a primary hunting platform in sit x, particularly not in 5.56mm. Any of you who have read my posts before know that I am a big fan of this round, but I am aware of it's limitations.

A

5.56 soft point will penetrate 5/16" steel, 100 yds. In a hunting situation, a head shot('tween the eyes) or ear shot(ear hole) will do the job nicely.

I think, that 5.56 will go thur 3/8" steel. Well I'm sure it will.

And yes ladies and gents I like the .308. I'm just sayin'.

Roper

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I wouldn't choose an assault gun for hunting, tho I've hunted TX whitetail with iron sights on an SKS with success. But I like a carbine in heavy brush. The ability of a gun to function in extreme dirt and dust is another reason I like my SKS-the brush of november gets that dust in every nook and cranny.

My first choice for a survival rifle is a 22lr. Quiet and accurate, and good for rabbits and the kind of small game a poacher lives on.

Second choice is my scoped .243. Again, a small and light enough gun that I can maneuver in heavy brush, and still swing it to bear in an unexpected direction. The caliber is not overpowered, and doesn't chew up meat like the more macho magnum loads. I shoot for meat, not for me ego. My scope is dated, but I cannot bring myself to buy one of the newer ones. This one puts meat on the table . . .

Third choice is SKS. can bring down venison, (tho not as well as the .243) and does a premier job when it comes to civil defense. And the rd is commonplace in my area now. plus the wife can be trained to use it with about 10 minutes of instruction.

My fourth choice for hunting/survival rifle is actually my savage 12 ga. pump. It's not a rifle but it's an excellent survival/hunting gun, and can bring down anything from a dove to a trespasser by varying the load.

keep your stick on the ice.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

5.56 soft point will penetrate 5/16" steel, 100 yds. In a hunting situation, a head shot('tween the eyes) or ear shot(ear hole) will do the job nicely.

I think, that 5.56 will go thur 3/8" steel. Well I'm sure it will.

And yes ladies and gents I like the .308. I'm just sayin'.
Roper

A .22LR round will kill a deer if you shoot it in the eye/ear/forehead - that doesn't mean that you go hunting deer with a .22LR.

As I said I am a fan of the 5.56mm round and it does penetrate well (In NATO tests 5.56mm penetrated both sides of a S6 helmet at longer range than 7.62mm NATO). However penetration isn't particularly important when hunting. What you're after is large Kenetic Energy disssipation with minimal meat damage and a quick take-down.

.223 Rem was designed as a varmint round. Its' popularity is due to its' prevelance within military weapons, meaning that the round has made some significant improvements and has been pushed well past its' conception perameters. However anyone who does any amount of hunting will tell you that it is a poor choice for any game bigger than small roe deer, and even then it would be a push.

In short yes .223 Rem will kill game, but it will be inefficient at doing so and requires considerably more skill (and luck) from the firer. There are better rounds out there.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
well ive always loved the sig556 and want one really badly.

personally, i dont mind the smaller rounds for hunting. every deer ive ever gotten was either with a .223, 22-250 ro 243. i grew up in south dakota and long shots are pretty common.

my dad and i have always disliked the bigger rounds for deer (just little whitetails) becuase they seem to damage more of the meat than the smaller ones do. though id never wanna hunt anything bigger than a whitetail with a 223, or anything at a real long range.

but for an all around survival rifle, i agree about the 22lr, but id prefer the 223.

and sig does make a nice rifle..

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Yeehah, and the US wonders why the rest of the world smiles in their direction with a look of pity.

All I can think of is big mouths, big bellies and big guns. Roll on a the peaceful world that Bush talks about.......

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I fell in love with the AR-7 when I first saw "From Russia With Love" and own a couple today. The barrel, breech and magazine break down and fit into the plastic stock.
It won't bring down big game (unless you can shoot like James Bond) but can fit in an attache case and the 22lr round is about the cheapest ammo available anywhere.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
proper shot placement is a priority. Untrained people tend to try to substitute accurate shot placement with multiple shots. I hate to use the expression spray and pray but...

You don't know me IRL so you will just have to trust me when I say I am far from being a untrained person. I subscribe to the motto one shot one kill. that being said I have heard all the concerns of this particular weapon as a hunting rifle. In my little corner of the world or any ware I might go in the case of a bug out the biggest thing I might come across other then man is white tale deer. this weapon has more then enough to take it down at almost any range.

The accuracy and repeatability of this weapon is incredible. I am against assault rifles as hunting rifles but Ime for the right tool for the job. In my hands this is the right tool for the job.

shadow watcher
That 50 cal looks awsome.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The most important aspect of any tool is that you have confidence in it.

That, and the fact that it's paid for.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
The accuracy and repeatability of this weapon is incredible. I am against assault rifles as hunting rifles but Ime for the right tool for the job. In my hands this is the right tool for the job.

see, i can understand this opinion, cuz tis similar to my own. i know a lot of very experienced hunters, myself included, that dont think twice about using this calibre. cuz AA is right, a single well placed round (i prefer though the chest just behind the front legs taking out the heart and lungs cuz to me a headshot on a running target at 200m requires just a little more luck than i am gifted with)

oh, and wont this rifle ship from the factory with a 5rnd box mag? in south dakota if u block that off to 4 rnds its perfectly legal to hunt with it so long as you dont have any hi cap mags with you or in your vehicle.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As I said earlier, it's what you're comfortable with that counts.

I use an assault rifle on a daily basis. I have recently returned from an operational tour of Helmand provence and have seen 5.56mm at work on two legged game so know what it is capable of. I also hunt deer when I get the chance. I use a .308 Browning A-bolt Medalion rifle, and own a Remington 700 Mountain in .243 which I also trust. This is the minimum that I would PERSONALLY use. I know that I wouldn't trust a .223 to consistently take down a decent buck at anything but close range.

When on exercise in Kenya a few years ago it was quite common for those of us in Recce to do a bit of hunting (on the sly) with a combination of SA80s (5.56mm assault rifle) and L96A1s (7.62mm sniper rifle). Most of us are sniper-class shots, and we are all marksmen. The 5.56mm was pretty poor at taking down anything bigger than Tommy (Thompsons Gazelle), while the 7.62s were taking down just about anything they hit up to and including eland (a type of really big antelope). There's nothing like trying to track down a wounded orynx for 3 hours because you shot it with a round that was designed to kill foxes.

You're right, I don't know you. I have no doubt that you have your own experiences regarding this. This is my experience. Yours may be different.

[edit on 24-4-2007 by PaddyInf]

[edit on 24-4-2007 by PaddyInf]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join