It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an American?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have always been very anti-gun, but have entered into discussion with people who are pro-gun.

Several times the issue of culture has been raised, and I decided that I needed to be more aware of what US culture is about.

I'm not talking about the TV, Hollywood, European propaganda view of US culture, but what it really is.

I posted this question on the guns don't kill? thread, but think that that's probably the wrong place for a discussion of this nature.

I'd like any US citizen to tell me what it means to them personally, to be an American, in the hope that I can gain a greater understanding and perspective of the cultural whole.

Ask me any questions that you like.

What I really want is personal views, thoughts and perspectives of what it is that an individual thinks about their country, and area, i.e. city, country, north, south, prairie, mountains etc etc, rather than soundbites etc, but all replies are appreciated.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, in reality an American is just someone who was born in America
(or any of its territories) or holds citizenship.

There really is not one true American culture, different areas of the
country have different cultures, and really even each state has a differ-
ent culture.

The only idea that is really shared by all Americans is the idea of freedom
and democracy, but even than the definition of those depends as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thanks,
this tells me some more

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Bottom line?

As a United Statesian, my government works for me. My government does not rule me, but rather governs on my behalf, with my consent. Instead of being a subject of my government, I am a member of the Board of Directors of my government. Individual persons who are in government are my employees.

Everything else follows from this.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
Bottom line?

As a United Statesian, my government works for me. My government does not rule me, but rather governs on my behalf, with my consent. Instead of being a subject of my government, I am a member of the Board of Directors of my government. Individual persons who are in government are my employees.

Everything else follows from this.

Is this a thought, a wish, or a reality?

I ask merely for information purposes..

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Well, a bit of all three. It is the legal reality in the US that the government is of, by and for the people, and governs only with the consent of the governed.

And this would result in the best outcome. That is the idea behind the Representative Republic form of government, here, and the tension of shared power built into the three major branches of government.

However, it is obvious that over time, this is becoming less and less true in reality... the process of government employees thinking they rule here started a long time ago, and has been accelerating.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic

Well, a bit of all three. It is the legal reality in the US that the government is of, by and for the people, and governs only with the consent of the governed.

And this would result in the best outcome. That is the idea behind the Representative Republic form of government, here, and the tension of shared power built into the three major branches of government.

However, it is obvious that over time, this is becoming less and less true in reality... the process of government employees thinking they rule here started a long time ago, and has been accelerating.

I think that you have a view of government that may be a bit more naive than that of UK citizens view of government.
I mean no disrespect by this.

I simply mean that over a period of time, the "civil service" will evolve to become a self feeding monster.

www.civilservant.org.uk...

observer.guardian.co.uk...

The US has been in this phase for quite some time, as has Europe.

In the future I believe that we will see the erosion of this particular form of government and will return to the rule of the people.

Some things don't work.

All countries need to fix themselves.

No-ones perfect

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I think that you have a view of government that may be a bit more naive than that of UK citizens view of government.
I mean no disrespect by this.

No offense taken...

I would not use the word 'naive', however. Naive, in my opinion, would be to believe that the elected representatives in the US government actually represent common citizens, or that the current crop of voting machines actually deliver an honest report of the vote, or that the GWOT is actually intended to, and is, making the world safer. And so on.

It is clear to me that none of these things are even remotely true.

I would describe my view of government as 'idealistic' instead... I view it the way it is intended to be, and 'should' be. With full understanding that it is not really that way at this stage of history.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I decided that I needed to be more aware of what US culture is about.

There is no one US culture. Traveling through Alabama is totally different than traveling through NYC. There is no dominant culture. Each part of the country is different from the other parts.

As far as our government goes -- we are a republic with democratic aspects in our government. But we are a republic.

As far as our spirit goes -- we were mostly founded by pioneers and immigrants who were willing to work hard to make life better for themselves, and for all Americans. (*note - I said mostly).

That's why illegal immigration is such a touchy subject. It flys in the face of how we were founded and the spirit of foundation of this country.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
That's why illegal immigration is such a touchy subject. It flys in the face of how we were founded and the spirit of foundation of this country.

Yeah. The Europeans who came here and founded America immigrated legally. The spirit of foundation was asking permission before immigrating to this area and setting up shop. Yeah...

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
First of all, the whole "melting pot" thing is a myth. The USA isn't a melting pot, it's a quilt. Might even call it a "crazy quilt".

My personal view of being an American is having the opportunity to rise as high as your abilities and efforts will take you. The freedom to succeed (or fail) based largely upon your own willingness to do what it takes. And the freedom to pursue whatever field you choose. "Opportunity" being the operant word.

I personally believe the majority of Americans have an innate sense of fairness, and an inclination to support the underdog.

Now these characteristics don't always manifest themselves at the highest levels of power, but those of us slugging away day-to-day in the trenches I think value those traits.

*Soapbox Alert*

I believe the majority of Americans are libertarian in their beliefs, and at some point as more people realize and accept that there is a political party supporting what they actually believe, there will be a change.

I hope.

www.libertarians.net...

www.theihs.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What is an American? Anyone who has 500 bucks and is in good enough shape to cross an invisible line. Welcome to America, you're in! I think that's the ACLU's/Law enforcement's definition at least.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
What is an american?

Well to me as a european, this is america for me:

Sorry but this is so true, i watched some cnn interview the other week involving 10 people of which all weighed over 100kg, i was rteally suprised to not see 1 normal built person.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Bwahahahaha.

Man, that was hilarious, but sadly so true at the same time for most of
the country.

Just so you know, we're not al fat cows who consider McDonalds salads
to be a healthy addition to there diet.

Case in point I am 6'0 and 149lbs/10.6 stone.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It means that we will die for Your Freedom, as well as our own.

It means that we have taken in people from all countries, religions, and political ideology's. We have claimed them as our brothers and sisters.

It means that we have to put up with a guy who believes in everything you hate, and is spouting it at the top of his lungs. Because we believe he has the Right to believe what he does, say what he wants. Here you have the right to worship satan, the sun, or comets. Not that I want them too, it just means that they have the Right to do so if they wish.

It means that we believe that freedom should not just apply to the rich, and well known.

It means that in the eye's of our laws, we are all supposed to be equal. Every color, gender, creed is supposed to be equal. Sometime it doesn't seem that way, or work out that way. But we are trying, it more than most countries can say.

It means that in the eye's of our learning institutions, we are going to give anyone a chance to learn.

It means that in our eyes we are better than you in all sports, and will prove it if you make us.

Sorry, but its true. Most of us anyway.

It means that we think France

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, here in the UK, some call the french "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" which is kind of apt, given their history.

As for sport?
How can it be the world series when it's only played between teams from the US, oh and btw, have you forgotten what happened when you played cuba?

American football is not football - the ball does not connect with the foot very much does it?

You had to get the rules changed in the olympics because the russkies gave you a beating - sour grapes anyone?

Try taking us on in a truly global game, and you get beat i.e. REAL football, not to mention rugby (american football but without stops for ads every 5 minutes, proper flow to the game, and without full body armour) and don't forget cricket, one of the most widely played games in the world.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Soccer or Foootball as you call it will never take off here because we consider it lame, sorry, just how we really feel.

Hey we were beating the East German's in a lot of things. Just because we refused to steroid our women, or have a guy dress up like one to complete should not be on us.

MLB baseball has guys from Canada, Cuba, Africa, Mexico, Japan, China, UK, Russia, I'm sure there is some smuck from France too. Plus we let them play a few games in Toronto.

NFL and College Football, or as I like to call it "Real Football" is the greatest sport alive. I pity all of the rest of the world who doesn't have it.

PS We still like the UK, just not as much as the US. Nothing personal, at least you can say you aren't French.

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
But we did have US football on TV over here (yes, we have TV!:lol

But so many people turned off, that its now only shown really late at night!

As for football being lame? It's a flowing game of sublime skill, creativity and passion, and it's players don't have to rely on a playbook for every move they make

And as you say, lets be thankful we're not french

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I will say I've seen Manchester United play several times on the "Tele". I used to watch Austrialian rules football and though it looked like fun.

But to me US football is a way of life.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I could never really take to it - a bit too stop/start.

Quite like baseball, although it too is on pretty late.

<<   2 >>

join