It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embraer studying tactical transport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Embraer revealed new details about their proposed C-390 tactical transport. It's a high wing twin jet design that will carry loads of up to 19 tons. That puts it between the C-27 and C-130J. It also will be capable of inflight refueling as both a receiver and a tanker.

Brazilian manufacturer Embraer has confirmed it is studying a military airlifter, the C-390, first revealed exclusively by Flight International last year.

The medium-size military transport uses technology from the Embraer 190 small airliner, but has a high wing and rear loading ramp.

Embraer says the C-390 has fly-by-wire flight controls and can be equipped for aerial refueling, both as a receiver and a tanker.

C-390

[edit on 4/20/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Nice find Zaphod58

Very interesting development very similar to Kawasaki C-1

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I almost guarantee the eventual jet will need the tailplane/elevator mounted as a T tail. They are clearly trying to leverage this design off the E170/E190.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Well yeah, they said that in the article. They're using technology from that design that's already proven to work to build a transport from.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Wonder how good it STOL will be? If they focus on that issue at all the plane could find its self in the running for the CF replacement of the Buffalo.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
I almost guarantee the eventual jet will need the tailplane/elevator mounted as a T tail. They are clearly trying to leverage this design off the E170/E190.

Why do you almost guarantee this? a low tail is the most efficient layout as it avoids the blanking effect a T-tail suffers at any sort of inclined AoA, the An 124 works perfectly well with a low tail, as do all the turboprop powered transports, including the C-130 that this is intended to replace.

In fact there are more cases of T-tails being ditched for low tails than the other way round as far as I recall. The OV-1 Mohawk is the first example I can recall, in more recent times both the 757 and 767 made the switch to low tails before production.

Of course, the switch to a T-tail might happen, but I don't see why it is inevitable?

new topics

top topics

join