It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's own Mount Olympus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this and thought it was interesting, a discovery last spring in the Wollemi wilderness these sandstone engravings appear to be powerful beings of Aboriginal mythology.

Link to Story

A ROCK platform in the heart of the Wollemi wilderness may be the closest thing Australia has to Mount Olympus, the "seat of the gods" of Greek mythology.

Last spring archaeologists discovered an enormous slab of sandstone 100 metres long and 50 metres wide in the 500,000-hectare Wollemi National Park, which is north of Lithgow, in western NSW. The sandstone was covered in ancient art.

[edit on 2007/4/20 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Bumping this up for the evening crowd, I found this earlier today and wanted to let the members check it out if interested

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wonderful! Will check it out more later (class this weekend is tying up my schedule.)

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Have been through Wollemi a few years ago, a beautiful area. I have a photo i took somewhere, will try to find it and post it for you. There have been an amazing amount of discoveries there in the past few years. It is thought that Wollemi is one of a few Dreaming tracks criss crossing the country. These tracks can also be found traversing Kakadu and nth western australia, litchfield and the pilbarra from memory.

This from 2003

A gallery of rock art, dating back to when Stonehenge was being built and before China was a unified empire, has been found in Wollemi National Park. The site is covered in 203 drawings in 12 layers built up over time and, for the most part, the illustrations are 4,000 years old. The superimposed layers are pristine and in various colours of red, yellow, white, charcoal and black.

And this from 2005

Archaeologists surveying rugged bushland outside Sydney have discovered evidence that an ancient Aboriginal Dreaming track runs through wilderness where the Jurassic-era Wollemi Pine was found.

Dreaming tracks record the journey of spirit ancestors as they moved through the landscape, transforming ancestral lands and laying down the laws.

Heres some photo's i took at Nourlangie rock in Kakadu a few years ago.

i'll see if i can find my wollemi pics somewhere.

Cheers mojo.

(edit to fix photo's etc)

[edit on 21/4/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Awesome pics mojo, thanks for sharing, that is definitely a place of both beauty and history, I am going to have to check out more on the aboriginal mythology and the meanings of the inscriptions.

join