It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Launches New Strategic Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The Cold War rears its ugly head once more and the US is engrossed in some stupid Korean's murderous rampage. More people die every day from gangs....

russianforces.org...

Meanwhile Russia moves foward to replace its Strategic Submarine Fleet with a new generation of submarines that is superior to the US Ohio class and former Soviet classes still in operation.

This move foward will be concluded with final tests of the Bulava missile to be used with the boat class which will be continued in the middle of this year.

An estimated 5-8 vessels will be launched and shows that the strength of the Russian military is resurging after a long hiatus of the project since 1995.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
they cant even maintain the subs they have. I really dont see this coming to light.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I wish something cool would happen, this iraq crap is boring. nothing like a war or nothing but like some cool planes or crap on tv other than milk maids and bubble gum bands.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm sure they'll just sell them to the Chinese or the Iranians for an inflated price.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Kudos to the Russians for continually building wonderfully extraordinaire weapon systems the US and company can easily destroy. A proven factoid.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Originally posted by TheIntelligentInvestor

the US is engrossed in some stupid Korean's murderous rampage. More people die every day from gangs....

So, our interest in NK having/using nukes is a not a reasonable concern ?

An estimated 5-8 vessels will be launched and shows that the strength of the Russian military is resurging after a long hiatus of the project since 1995.

I'll believe this, when I see it. The Russians can't pay their military.
How can they build new, more powerful boats ?

I say it's propoganda.

Just my opinion,
Lex

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I say it's propoganda.

How is it propoganda? That's like saying the F-35 is propaganda because it isn't in service yet.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion

You're forgetting that Russia is recieving billions of dollars in pure cash per year from oil and gas revenues. Russia has more money to spend than USA (US military is running on loaned money). A few strategic submarines are just a drop in a bucket for Russia.
Americans really can't seem get a grasp on the idea that more USA meddles in middle east, higher the gas/oil prises rise. And higher the oil prises rise, more money flows in Russias coffins...

ps. Could you guys really move from '97 to '07 when talking about russia, they are currently tranfering to a professional army that's well paid and motivated.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
You're forgetting that Russia is recieving billions of dollars in pure cash per year from oil and gas revenues. Russia has more money to spend than USA (US military is running on loaned money). A few strategic submarines are just a drop in a bucket for Russia.

You know just because a country has alot of money, doesn't mean that a superior technology base will just appear overnight. Russian/Soviet naval technology has always lagged behind the US. These boats maybe be almost in teh same class as the Ohio's but I doubt they are superior.

Americans really can't seem get a grasp on the idea that more USA meddles in middle east, higher the gas/oil prises rise. And higher the oil prises rise, more money flows in Russias coffins...

Yes money which is desperately needed for thing other than the military. How about improving the lot of the Russian people or cleaning up the pollution which riddles Russia on a massive scale.

ps. Could you guys really move from '97 to '07 when talking about russia, they are currently tranfering to a professional army that's well paid and motivated.

Well if Chechnya is anything to go by.......

BTW. We saw what happened to Russia's last newest and greatest submarine the Oscar II Kursk.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by mad scientist]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Kudos to the Russians for continually building wonderfully extraordinaire weapon systems the US and company can easily destroy. A proven factoid.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Seekerof]

Seekerof do you know the term Self-Delusional Syndrome or do you have any idea of the consequences of believing your own propaganda. I advise you to wise up a little bit or lift the curtains of blind patriotism until then you are in the dark or maybe you like it this way because it is easier to accept it .

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Russia has never suspended it's basic scientific research, they've moved along. I agree that they are behind USA in some thechnologies, but Russia still has a cadre of well educated engneers and scientists. So i assume better than Ohio performance is achievable, just by addition of latest COTS components to electrical, computer and powertrain systems.

As for the money, i agree that it should be used more on economical developement and enviromental issues. For example water purification of St. Petersburg is still not functioning and it's polluting the baltic sea every day. But as i stated Russia has the money to develop new and advanced systems and it has the will to use that money for its military, despite the other needs.

Chezenya is going on better than Iraq (for the russians of course)

Ps. I'd be happy to see Russian military in ruins, but saddly that's not the case these days.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

But as i stated Russia has the money to develop new and advanced systems and it has the will to use that money for its military, despite the other needs.

How much money exactly can Russia spend on it's military ? Whilst the US military budget has alot of pork barrelling, ven removing al of that waste it wouls still far exceed whatever money Russia is able to spend.

Chezenya is going on better than Iraq (for the russians of course)

Well of course, the Russians have no hesitation in wiping out alot of civilians. They were smart they restcited press access to almost non-existence. We've al seen the before and after pictures of Grozny ?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I can't tell you any exact numbers, since anything revealed officially is just a fraction of the R&D costs. There are lots of unofficial money transfers going on straight from energysector "private" corporations to defence contractors, in order to keep that money off the official records. Usually marked up as concultation etc.

Russias oli revenues during 2005 were $109billion with projected growth of 22%/year.

As for chezenya, area is mainly stabilised with exessive use of force, but certain resistance pockets are allowed to survive in order to give emerging professional military units a proper field experience. For example 76th Airborne Force Division (based in Pskov) has several units rotating in czhezenya all the time, it's like their final exam. (Source is an private interview from a high ranking Russian officer made a friend of mine while visiting the Pskov base as an invited quest)

I don't support Russias drive to maintain control over it's former satellites and breakaway provinces, but as for czhezens; have no mercy on them, filthy killers who shot wounded soldiers to hospital beds... The original freedom fighters were good men, but when they were replaced by jihad minded fanatics they lost my support. /Rant

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   

I'd be happy to see Russian military in ruins, but saddly that's not the case these days.

Hmm, yeah. I'd wish that on Israel myself. With big brother at their beck and call, I worry that they're more likely to use their nukes than Russia or anyone else.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

So prove that fact. I am an American and I dont believe that everything Russian Made can easily be destroyed. I would bet that you even think the F-117 is completely invisible to radar. I for one admire the Russians for their weapons system. Most of them superior to ours because they're simpler. I think you should pray to who ever it is you pray that the US and Russia never fight a war because you would be terribly surprised at their capabilities. The Germans thought of the Russians as subhumans during the second world war and then the T-34 rolled off the production lines. They obviously understimated the Russians.

You should not be so closed minded and arrogant. That is why the rest of the world hates us. Here is a proven "factoid" for you... The only Russian tech that has ever been destroyed by the US, has been in hands of other countries, not Russia. God forbid an American flying an F-22 would go against a Russian pilot flying a MIG-35 or a SU-37, cause reality would hit you in the face at mach 2+.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by om3ga123
I for one admire the Russians for their weapons system. Most of them superior to ours because they're simpler. I think you should pray to who ever it is you pray that the US and Russia never fight a war because you would be terribly surprised at their capabilities.

I think the Russians have some interesting weapons, but today having simple weapons does not make them superior at all. Their best weapons aren't simple but every complex. You may be able to apply that philosphy to teh AK-47, but most things above it don't subscribe to teh simple is better philosophy.

The Germans thought of the Russians as subhumans during the second world war and then the T-34 rolled off the production lines. They obviously understimated the Russians.

Yes, that is the example most widely used, to demonstrate that the Russians weren't as inferior to the Germans as they might have thought, albeit they were still inferior. The Eastern Frot is one of my pet hobbies and I have travelled to several battlefield sites in Russia.
If it had not been for massive Allied Lend-Lease support ( not to mention a German War on 3 fronts - France, Italy/North Africa, Russia), the Germans would have been victorious over Stalin and the USSR.

God forbid an American flying an F-22 would go against a Russian pilot flying a MIG-35 or a SU-37, cause reality would hit you in the face at mach 2+.

Hmm not a great example, the F-22 would probobaly destroy it's enemy from over 50 miles away. The Russians planes aren't that stealthy, also they possess no supercruise capability. THese new MIG's might look fancy doing manouvers like the Cobra, but in the real world of air to air combat these manouvers are next to usless and would make them a sitting duck for any Air to air weapon.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have seen some pretty amazing manouvers done by the Su and Mig but thats not what I was referring to. The F-22 being a stealth aircraft does not mean its indestructible. I would'nt be surprised if the Russians already have the radar signature the F-22 gives off. And again this can only be proved the day America and Russia go to war( And in the end wars are not won in the Skies).

They were not inferior. The Germans would have never won. Soldiers are never in short supply in Russia it was a war of numbers. The idea of "I would much rather die on my feet than live on my knees" apply to them. The Germans were fighting against a united nation and in Germany, at the time, not everyone believed that what they were doing was right.

Look I dont know who is superior in the long run, I was only saying that the Russians should not be underestimated. This is a lesson us Americans should learn. Iraq is the best example... I see all this "great" technology the US has and still soldiers die everyday and the timeframe for the war grows longer.

And like I said in my previous post... The only Russian tech that has ever been destroyed by the US, has been in hands of other countries, not Russia. And now they're bringing out their new air superiority fighter the PAK-FA, who knows what the future has in store.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by om3ga123]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by om3ga123
I would'nt be surprised if the Russians already have the radar signature the F-22 gives off. And again this can only be proved the day America and Russia go to war( And in the end wars are not won in the Skies).

What do you men by " the signature it gives off " ? Also, wher would the Russians haev been able ot test any of their radars against an F-22 ?

They were not inferior. The Germans would have never won. Soldiers are never in short supply in Russia it was a war of numbers. The idea of "I would much rather die on my feet than live on my knees" apply to them. The Germans were fighting against a united nation and in Germany, at the time, not everyone believed that what they were doing was right.

Ahem, teh German military was far far more professional and it showed. the Allies supplied massive lend lease aid to the USSR, without which teh Soviet Army would never have becaome mobile, would never have had reliable communications to name but a few things. ALso there was more internal descent in the USSR than there ever was in Germany. Stalin had to to deport populaitons en masse to Siberia to stop them allying with the Germans. The Germans also had many hundreds of thousands of Russian vounteers fighting for them against the Soviets. You need to do some more reading on the subject.

Look I dont know who is superior in the long run, I was only saying that the Russians should not be underestimated. This is a lesson us Americans should learn.

I'm sure the professional military in the US would be well aware of what capabilities the Russians have and have prepared for them.
On the other hand, dn't overestimate what the Russians an do either, it eems alot of people make that mistake especially with no evidence.

And like I said in my previous post... The only Russian tech that has ever been destroyed by the US, has been in hands of other countries, not Russia.

Meaing what ? That Russians are incapable of training non-Russians how to use their equipment ? Funny thing is mnay countries who use Russian equipment probab;y get more training hours with it than in Russia itslef. Planes are a prime example.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by om3ga123]

top topics

join