It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of the legendary Monkey Found (?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Being that this is my namesake, and he is a highly revered character in Chinese mythology, I wanted to share with you that the tomb of the Monkey King may indeed have been found.

If it is true (and I'm going to research this more) than it sheds much light on the legends of Sun Wu-K'ung, which, many people believe to be true (at least in some regard.)

Here is the link:

www.buddhistchannel.tv...,717,0,0,1,0

What do you all think?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The notion of a magic, flying, talking monkey is too ridiculous for me. Coll find though I guess.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My goodness sake.......

I had NO CLUE that MirthfulMe had been entombed!!!!!!!!!!!

SOMEBODY LET HIM OUT!

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
The notion of a magic, flying, talking monkey is too ridiculous for me. Coll find though I guess.

Indeed...

The thought of some "Caped Poosader" taking to the ATS skies, smiting the evil trolls, helping little old ladies post, and rewarding all the good little boys and girls for quality content is ludacris.

Ironic Monkeys, not just for being iconic anymore...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Indeed...

The thought of some "Caped Poosader" taking to the ATS skies, smiting the evil trolls, helping little old ladies post, and rewarding all the good little boys and girls for quality content is ludacris.

Ironic Monkeys, not just for being iconic anymore...

Yeah MM, us monkeys have to stick together.
It's nice to know that there is another brother monkey out there.
We even met on the level, which is totally sweet too.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Another religious joke.

Anyway it is a copy from Rama Shinta, the Hanoman!

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry that you feel that way.

There are similarities between Hanuman and Sun Wu-K'ung, yes.

But, they have very different and very distinct personalities.
And there is a tremendous difference in their stories and views on the world.
Not to mention that the stories make the specific point that Hanuman was a white monkey and Wu-K'ung was dark brown (not to mention other, much more specific differences in appearance and attitude.)

And to call it a joke, is to laugh in the face of the millions of people who have venerated these stories for hundreds of years.

That's a little mean, don't you think?

And just so you know, I'm pretty sure Rama's name was Ramachandra.
Out of curiosity, have you even read the Ramayana, the Mahabharata and Journey to the West?

[edit on 4/18/2007 by wu kung]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
I'm sorry that you feel that way.

And to call it a joke, is to laugh in the face of the millions of people who have venerated these stories for hundreds of years.

[edit on 4/18/2007 by wu kung]

1001 nights ( Aladdin, Ali Baba, and more ) from or about Arab has been there for hundred of years. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and many thousands more has been there.

I said it is a religious joke, because someone tried to link it to religion!

So wake up! it is a wake up call!!!!!!!!!!

Wu Kung is certainly a copy of Hanoman, though they have different behaviour and story lines. But the character is a copy! And so did many religion!

Did you just register with new name "Wu Kung" just because you are so excited that your favourite character was about to come true?

Just how many will be just as excited as you when they heard there is an archeological evidence of Batman and Spiderman.

That's a trap in life! Wake up!

A good trap, a good cultural religious story is always a trap!

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A Journey to the West, is a great story, but sadly, only a small fraction of it has been translated into English and most of it can only be read in the original Chinese. As for an actual tomb? Well, I imagine it is of a sacred animal, but not of the ape in the story, as he attained immortality. Great sage equal to heaven, conscious of emptiness.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought the same thing.
But, perhaps, if he was really real (which I do believe), just maybe he was able to shed his body before making his final journey to the celestial realm.

Or, maybe like you said, it's the tomb of another sacred animal.

The article didn't mention anything about remains in the tomb though, so it's anyone's guess.

Oh, and to CinLung:
What's with the hostility?
Did you come over to this thread just to troll around?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Interesting!!

I would guess that it's being classed in the same way as the Temples of Bast, etc, in ancient Egypt. I don't see it as odd that they would place a temple and a tomb on a site they considered sacred.

I don't believe there are any anthropoid remains in there (okay... there could be, but it would surprise me tremendously.)

If it's the oldest temple to Sun Wu-K'ung that they've found, then yes this is quite significant because it shows the origin of this magical personage. It's certainly in the place where Sun Wu-K'ung was said to have been born.

I did read a translation of Journey to the West... lovely story!

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'd like to find out more about the tomb itself, architecturally speaking, that is.
I want to know if there are any statues, furniture, paintings or petroglyphs (is that the right word?) that might tell a story.

Maybe it's not so much a tomb, as it is a memorial to his character.

There doesn't seem to be much out there on the net about it.

Can anyone help shed some more light on this?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ahhh another monkey soul wu kung.

Unfortunately i wasnt able to find much more than youd already posted. Will try checking out a couple of archaelogical sites to see if there's anymore info.

Not much but i found this. Seems there are quite alot of caves, temples, tombs and statues in this area.

The Ampère are Huayang Mountain, Baoshan Mountain. and hundred graves for monks. Huayang Mountain covers an area of about five square kilometers with rich resources of animals and plants. more than 150 species of plants and the wild anim als such as zibet. there are deer and kalij. The scenic spots consi st of waterfall. odd caves and stones with waterfall of three élevé els such as Mandarin Duck Fall. Jade Dragon and Jumping Tiger Fall Fall. Makin with the caves such as Immortality-pills g Cave. Beard Party Immortal Dragon Cave and Cave etc; with various shape and lifelike stone scenes su ch as Immortal 's Boat, the Lying Buddha. Monkey Worshiping Kwan-yin on Bended Knees. Tortoise Coming out a Hole. snip...................... temple was proclaimed as the five group of national key cultural relics protecti on the unit in 2001 and is famous for constructio n of wood and stone in Yuan Dynasty; on the left hand of this temple. there is a Monkey King Temple made of stone which oblates statue of the Monkey King. There are man y legend about monkey king and it is a mystery abo ut the relation of Baoshan and Monkey King. In ad Border, Guoyanshan Mountain. Yanshan Mountain. Zhijiao group at the waterfall and Lion Peak Tem ple are the potential tourist places.

and this

Fujian archeologists discovered a tomb of Monkey King and his brother on top of Baoshan宝山Mountain, northwest of Fujians Shunchang顺昌County. The tomb was built in late Yuan Dynasty and early Ming Dynasty.

The tomb of Monkey King and his brother is located at Shuangshen Temple on top of Shunchang顺昌Countys Baoshan宝山Mountain, which is 1305 meters above sea level. In front of the tomb, two tombstones were erected on a platform of 0.43 meters above the ground. The Chinese characters Qi Tian Da Sheng齐天大圣meaning the Monkey King was engraved on the left tombstone, while another Chinese characters of Tong Tian Da Sheng通天大圣meaning a king to heaven was engraved on the right one. A stone statue of Monkey King stands in front of the tombstone, with vivid expressions on the face. The Monkey King is the hero in Journey to the West, the great legendary story known by all Chinese people home and abroad. The discovery of the tomb provide important evidence, and is significant to the research of the taking-shape and transformation of heroes in the story of Journey to the West.

Doesnt seem to be much more about it apart from the original story you posted which seems to have come originally from chinadaily.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ni hao, I will be traveling to Fujian later on this year, most likely in mid October after Guo Qing Jie, (National Day). I will see if I can find out more information on the Tomb and any related finds. Fujian is a very historic area and I will try to visit the museum mentioned in the article.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Terapin]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Terapin, if you can get any info, that would be super-cool.
Mojo4sale, glad to have you here.
It's always nice to meet another monkey spirit.
Any information you can share here will be greatly appreciated.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Don't forget me Wu Kung. I'm not namesaked, but have been in and at the arts for over 40 years.

As an interesting side note. I have an ancient (purported to be 400 years old, approximately) rice paper print of Tripitaka (XuanZang), that came out of Tibet about 40 years ago. it's a black ink block print on a bout half lifesize piece of rice paper. I've never seen another one like it, and thnk it would be cool to have it validated as at least that old. Might be able to get a pic off to you if you are interested in seeing it.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
Don't forget me Wu Kung. I'm not namesaked, but have been in and at the arts for over 40 years.

And it is exactly that kind of experience and wisdom that I am searching for.
Welcome sigung86.

As an interesting side note. I have an ancient (purported to be 400 years old, approximately) rice paper print of Tripitaka (XuanZang), that came out of Tibet about 40 years ago. it's a black ink block print on a bout half lifesize piece of rice paper. I've never seen another one like it, and thnk it would be cool to have it validated as at least that old. Might be able to get a pic off to you if you are interested in seeing it.

Absolutely!
I welcome any and all submissions to this topic.
I am very excited and I look forward to seeing what you are able to contribute.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung

We even met on the level, which is totally sweet too.

..but did you part on the square ?

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RWPBR
..but did you part on the square ?

When that time comes, I'm sure that we will.

(damn, forgot my
)

[edit on 4/23/2007 by wu kung]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I remember back then there was a post here about an infra red satallite pic finding a temple in a block of ice somewhere in the south pole. Turn out to be a publicity stunt for a 'predator vs alien' movie.

Now a post surfaces about the mysterious legendary monkey remains found in a temple somewhere in China. Indeed the story of the legendary monkey, a piece of literature written back in the Tang Dynasty, was and still is revered by millions amongst the chinese race the world over, for his feats against mystical beings, and later converted to Buddhism to help spread its religion which began its roots in India to bring it to China.

Could this 'legendary' find be a publicity stunt for a movie about to hit the screens for the US summer holidays, starring Jackie Chan with Jet Li, about an american teenager stumbling into a fantasyland on a trip to China to find and rescue this legendary monkey?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join