It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Black Men Mired In Social Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Report: Black Men Mired In Social Crisis

CBSnews.com FULL Article Link

(AP) Citing bleak data on incarceration, joblessness and AIDS, the National Urban League said Monday that problems facing black men represent America's most serious social crisis and proposed an aggressive campaign to provide them with more opportunities.

The 97-year-old black empowerment organization, in its annual "State of Black America" report, called for universal early-childhood education, more second-chance programs for school dropouts and ex-offenders, and expanded use of all-male schools emphasizing mentoring and longer class hours.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Please at least click the full article link and read it before commenting.

This report simply highlights the world that blacks live in, the world many whites do not see or understand.

Racism is alive and well in the USA.

Related AP Thread:
Just Pixels on a Screen

[edit on 16-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
To be honest, racism is probably alive and well in many places in one capacity or another, the difference is, it's more discussed in some places over others.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
To be honest, racism is probably alive and well in many places in one capacity or another, the difference is, it's more discussed in some places over others.

Would you rather we sweep it under the rug and not discuss it at all?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It was just an observation.

Did not say it should or should not be discussed.

This forum discusses it plenty, but do we discuss it constructively?

If discussing it only causes more divisions and ignorance, then does that really help?

_Also racism in one area and the root causes might be different than in another aera.

The interesting thing about the article, is it discusses incarsarations.
To discuss this you have to look at racial profiling, war on drugs, unequal sentencing, even zero tolorance.

-AIDS, how it's treated, where it's origins were, who has proper access to treatment. Also who names will be in American data bases next year.

_Joblessness and the systems that are still in place, even with all the reforms.

Add to this you need an open mind. What I see too often are discussions regarding victim mindsets, people looking for handouts, and that people just need to get over whatever. I am not sure how constructive discussions like that are without the pychology behind some of this stuff, the systems of oppression still in place, and a general cognezence of this.

I say discuss it if you must, but it never stays on topic, often gets derailed, and ends up being about not what it started being about.

In other words it's been done, and a better way has to be sought and found of conveying what is happened, and what is still happening.

There is are whole histories that people are not aware of.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

It was just an observation.

Point taken, but it is also a sign of the apathy many have in regard to the subject of racism. Some believe it is not as bad as it seems, others would rather ignore it, avoid it, and try to believe it doesn't exist.

On occasion yes, however in my observation, more often than not, racism is not discussed in this forum constructively.

If discussing it only causes more divisions and ignorance, then does that really help?

If the people involved in said discussions would engage with open minds, set aside preconceived notions, and racial influences, it could help.

_I say discuss it if you must, but it never stays on topic, often gets derailed, and ends up being about not what it started being about.

True, but through discussion can come awareness, and perhaps understanding. The mission here is simple... Deny ignorance, even your own, don't silence it.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Maybe we need to change our perspectives on this issue when approaching a constructive debate. In all honesty though, this is a very common trend we've seen recently. We see a thread on Racism and we all huff twice before posting the same rantings. Maybe if we adjusted our approach and our expectations, we could participate in a constructive debate. H, this is not directed at you whatsoever mate. I direct this towards every member on this site, myself included. In order to engage in a civil discussion, one must enter with those expectations. Frankly, nobody is entering these debates with this expectation.

We all count the seconds in every thread before it blows up into the same regurgitations. With the count down clock so evident, how can we fight it?

In response to this specific thread, I have to agree. I do not deny that I've denied racism for most of my life. I hold no prejudice against anyone based on their color of skin, religion, sex, etc., so why would others? Obviously as I grew older, I understood that it did exist slightly, but times had changed. We are not living under apartheid here, we are all on equal footing.

Well, I don't think I can say that anymore. Through my personal experiences recently, and through conversations I've had with individuals in real life that I respect tremendously, I've had to rethink my approach to this.

I think many of us have the same problem that I've had for almost all of my life. Empathy! It doesn't have to be a double edged sword. We can feel empathy for individuals without being pitiful. We can also be empathetic to an individual without victimizing ourself in an attempt to refute their own experiences.

I object to blanket statements like, "Yeah, they may go through that... but who says I don't?" Nobody is saying you, I, we, or they don't. What we are saying is that a specific portion of our population is having to fight an uphill battle. Other portions of our population can be empathetic to their needs without victimizing themselves. Whites, Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, etc., may all have demons to overcome. But if I am taking a moment to talk about the difficulties that come with the daily life of a Hispanic, a response to this should not consist of what Whites or Blacks have to go through.

We've all got problems, we know that. One mans problem's is not another man's prize. My problems do not refute what you have gone through.

Sometimes I think we try to use our own misfortunes to undermine what others have gone through.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I get so sad when I read things like this original article. I wonder why young black children start falling behind in such young grades. I mean, if this problem is to be dealt with, I think it's important to find out the source of it. Why are black children performing lower by the 4th grade? I know it's not intelligence, so what is it?

Is it a factor of the school environment? The home environment? Both? Something else? Are the teachers treating them differently? Are the parent's not involved enough? Encouraging a child to graduate from high school is great, but that isn't going to help if the problem is starting in the 4th grade.

It breaks my heart to see ANY man not empowered to live up to his full potential. And I think it's important to go clear back to where the problem starts. It's not going to do any good to give an ex-offender a second chance if he's been having problems since the 4th grade. The problem has to be stopped at its root so the boy grows up feeling equal to his classmates, graduates from high school, goes to college and never becomes an offender in the first place.

Harassment101, people are always going to say things that aren't constructive. But I think we have a real good chance of discussing this constructively now. How about we ignore those who talk about handouts and so on?

Do you have an insight as to why kids are starting to fall behind at such a young age?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
That was just so well said.

Empathy! It doesn't have to be a double edged sword. We can feel empathy for individuals without being pitiful. We can also be empathetic to an individual without victimizing ourself in an attempt to refute their own experiences.

I object to blanket statements like, "Yeah, they may go through that... but who says I don't?" Nobody is saying you, I, we, or they don't. What we are saying is that a specific portion of our population is having to fight an uphill battle. Other portions of our population can be empathetic to their needs without victimizing themselves.

This right here, ever since the begining of February is all that I do see. There have come some constructive comments and view points from many of these threads, but too often it turns into, well it happens to me also, why do we have to discuss this section of the population, or more cries for money or sympathy. That is why I just no longer find it constructive.

However if people could come with the same attitude you just showed, not that some don't, but too many do not, then we might get somewhere. These are all great issues and to be honest till last summer, when I was doing all my research I had no idea what the war on drugs was all about.

What I have realised is that a lot of these subjects are all interlinked and interrelated, and at the core of it all is, division amoungst the masses, so that they will not see that what is happening to one will happen to all, just later than sooner.

These things that seperate us, just keep us all distracted from the bigger picture, and since doing the research I am finding it's all related.

I think the topic is a great one for discussion, and maybe if it can stay on topic, and open minded, even to a little bit, that would be great to see. So I will slowly let out my breath and see if we can have a discussion, that does not degrade into something that it should not.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hi Benevolent Heretic.

I wonder why young black children start falling behind in such young grades.

It's the same reason girls were always behind in science and math. Teachers purposely ignoring them and their potential, some quit purposefully, pushing them in other directions from an early age, others doing it quit unconsciously.

Eg. Only calling on boys for some questions, vs girls. Well the same thing happens racially, and that is part of the problem in school.

It's also socially having the parents with enough time, to sit down with children. If your parent or parents work several jobs, they might not have as much time for the finer things in life, like sitting down and spending the time with you.

Then when you get to the higher grades you have other issues.

Zero Tolerance. In Ontario, Canada, we are starting to deal with the problems we have had with this policy for the last decade.

www.thestar.com...

The Safe Schools Act, also known as zero tolerance, which some say unfairly targets black youth and drives them into gangs.

This has been a real problem in Ontario for over a decade and yet, it's only recently that a series of articles really looked into this, and cases being brought before the human rights commission have started to recognise the devastation that this program is causing and the racial targeting that goes with it.

So these are some of the problems at the earlier stages in the schooling system.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Harassment101]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Blacks are the only race to have these "problems" at a point that that it could be called a "crisis" ...

Asians are not having this problem..

Hispanics are not having this problem...

Other European imigrants (Russian or some other) are not having this problem..

Whites are not having this problem (despite having less "step up" programs then any other race)

So........

Why should society bend over backwards to pander to the black race? Simply because they are black? Not good enough of a reason. Blacks have more scholarships, more programs, more money spent specifically on them from extra bus routes to "include them" to free education.

None of that appeared to help, because it is ignored, not used, or maybe blacks are just having a hard time fitting in, I don't know. Unemployment for blacks (especially males) is expected to rise dramatically in the coming years as employers fire blacks to hire Asian and Hispanics to fill minority quotas. This is prevelent especially in the south part of America, and it is happening because blacks (according to these employers) have less work ethic then other races, especially hispanics. CBS news did a report on it a few weeks ago that black company owners (mostly hard labor, housing or landscaping) are hiring whites, hispanics and asians, and firing blacks.. the question was.. are they being racist to their own people?

There are black men and women who make it in this world, and more often then not (especially from conversations I have had with several) they completely agree that the sense of "we need to help them" has had a negative effect on their race..

But, Gazz, I am not black, I am white.. and I know my perspective is different then yours, as you are black. You may see whites as being privaliged because we where not slaves, and because we are the majority.. but we, like all ethnicities have problems of our own.. we are educated to feel ashamed about our history.. to be disgusted by our fathers actions.. made to feel self concious just as much as blacks are about their own color.. always aware of political correctnes.. I know people that refuse to confront blacks because they are petrified of being called racist..

Every ethnicity has there problems, every ethnicity has their own ways of dealing with it.. blacks I think is an ingrained sense of self pity that other people are supposed to care for them.. when that mentality disapears I think the problems blacks have with feeling "held back" will desapear as well..

of course I am aware that there is that fine line.. if you say and do nothing, racism is allowed to run free with no checks.. there needs to be that delicate system in place that helps prevent racism, without establishing the current mentality that I think effects (mostly poor) blacks..

Just my opinion

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
But, Gazz, I am not black, I am white.. and I know my perspective is different then yours, as you are black.

Oh really?

Maybe you should read through my Just Pixels on a Screen especially my personal story, of how I encountered the ugliness of racism in the south at an early age.

I am white.. NOT black.. as if it even matters.

I find it fascinating that you actually thought I was black.

And I am honored that you did.

Thank you.

Gazz

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
LOL my bad...

Remember the day in chat I said I thought you where black, just joking and you said "I am"

I thought you being serious.

[edit on 4/16/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I suppose we could have the chat records checked, but I am sure I said "I am white" maybe it was a moment where you only seen that, as chat moves fast sometimes.

Please read my personal story CLICK HERE!

I guess if I speak out against racism aimed at blacks in these forums, I should expect to have people who could not possibly know better assume I am black?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wha..

Don't take it personally Gazz, not to big of a deal..

I already read your story on pg2 from the first link, sad indeed..

I went to a Catholic school most of my life, the black kids there where treated no different.. in fact.. to be honest, and I know it sounds so cheesy.. I never saw the difference.. there was only 3 blacks in my entire class.

Then I went to public high school..

I saw racism, extreme racism, from both sides.. I was called cracker, honkey, ect you know how it is.. but then I also so the N word thrown around by all sides and such.. fights between races and so on..

To me, education would the first step to solving so many of our problems..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Hi Rockpuck.

Glad to see you pull the chestnuts back out of the fire, but that is what I mean about these discussions sometimes.

Please review your post.

But, Gazz, I am not black, I am white.. and I know my perspective is different then yours, as you are black. You may see whites as being privaliged because we where not slaves, and because we are the majority.. but we, like all ethnicities have problems of our own.. we are educated to feel ashamed about our history.. to be disgusted by our fathers actions.. made to feel self concious just as much as blacks are about their own color.. always aware of political correctnes.. I know people that refuse to confront blacks because they are petrified of being called racist..

I am sure not all black people see all white people as being privileged, but I see this assumption a great deal in these forum postings. Not everyone is educated to feel ashamed of a past history, or history.

I know people that just don't take crap from anyone. Males, females, every race. Although lately offline, more and more people seem to just go with whatever everyone else is doing.

Also just to let you know, in America many Hispanic men are starting to have the problem with the profiling that Black men have been having for years. Also the jail population thing as well. I have not had a chance to read about HIV in the hispanic community.

Over here our first Nations persons have some of the same problems as black people, and it would truly be ignorance to think that the system that existed for the last how long, did not play a role in the demise of a once proud Native population.

Everyone does have problems, and you do not necessarily need to negate your own problems, to have empathy for others and their current situations, or to understand that there are situations in place, which might be stacking the deck unequally. Even with all those lovely programs in place that you mentioned.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I do not take anything that happens online personal.

And Rockpuck, please don't take anything I say or do personal.

I am simply stunned, amazed that you thought I was black. Or that you even asked in chat.

I suppose it is possible to attempt to assess someones race by the way they write or post in the forums.

You can ask any of my fellow staff members, they've seen pictures and video of me... they know what race I am for sure. I'd share them here.. but that is not what the topic is about... and really I'm too ugly in my whiteness.

Thank you Rockpuck for inadvertantly helping me make some points here.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Harassment101:

Glad to see you pull the chestnuts back out of the fire, but that is what I mean about these discussions sometimes.

Please review your post.

Not sure what your going on about..... I know full well what I wrote, thank you.

I am sure not all black people see all white people as being privileged, but I see this assumption a great deal in these forum postings. Not everyone is educated to feel ashamed of a past history, or history.

I am sure not all black people do, that would be over generalizing, everyone sees something different, but I would say the majority does. You see this assumption a great deal, because whites on this board see this assumption in the real world.

"not everyone" sure, not everyone, again, the majority. Am I not being specific enough or something? Want me to go and conduct a poll so as to not upset you or something?

Also just to let you know, in America many Hispanic men are starting to have the problem with the profiling that Black men have been having for years. Also the jail population thing as well. I have not had a chance to read about HIV in the Hispanic community.

True, Hispanics are ending up in jail in larger percentages every year.. for a different reason..

The vast majority come here in their late teens - 20's, lack an education, hardly speak English as their first language and join gangs to form a community of their own people.. there are completely different reasons as to WHY they are ending up in jail..

Hispanics are also the largest growing member of the middle class though.

Over here our first Nations persons have some of the same problems as black people, and it would truly be ignorance to think that the system that existed for the last how long, did not play a role in the demise of a once proud Native population.

So, you are Canadian, that would explain maybe why we see a few things on different levels maybe. the Native's in Canada have been treated unjustly for sure, but from what I have read on several cases, there also seems to be a sense or air of feeling that they don't want to change.. again, not "all" and maybe not the majority.. but the only cases I have seen where conflicts, I am more or less ignorant on Canadian policies.

Gazz:

I am simply stunned, amazed that you thought I was black. Or that you even asked in chat.

It was the day someone asked you if a member was black, you said you didn't know and just jokingly I said you where black.. I must have missread because I thought you said you where..

However,

Thank you Rockpuck for inadvertantly helping me make some points here.

If your point was that there is little way to know what color other members are, you are 100% correct. I know some members claim that they are racially attacked, but I have never seen it, nor would I stand for it.. it is one thing to disagree and another to attack.. I think those who make those claims may be over exaggerating or even wrongly placing the meaning of the words to be ethnically fueled.

The internet levels the field for us all to discuss openly.. someone defending blacks may or may not be black, they could be Asian, who knows, who cares..

As your other thread said "what color are you today" you can be who and what you want.

You can ask any of my fellow staff members, they've seen pictures and video of me... they know what race I am for sure. I'd share them here.. but that is not what the topic is about... and really I'm too ugly in my whiteness.

It is fine, I could'nt care less what color you are, and I need no proof.. especially if it means having to look at your ugly white self.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Why should society bend over backwards to pander to the black race?

Maybe because they need it?

My opinion is that as long as we try to solve this issue through the back door; in other words, after the "damage" is done, we will be unsuccessful. Giving black men more and more opportunities, second-chance programs for school dropouts and ex-offenders, is just putting a Bandaid on a gushing jugular.

If we aren't going to devote ALL of the energy into the youth, where the problem is FIRST occurring, we are wasting our time and money. I don't support throwing money at a developed problem that's just going to keep occurring.

If programs aimed at adults (AA) were going to work, they'd be working already. And they are working for those who take proper advantage of them. But there's a systemic problem that must be addressed at the root. If blacks are having trouble in the formative years, there needs to be programs to "reward" teachers whose black students are doing well. They need to be fired if they're ignoring the black students and not giving them equal attention. There could be after school programs for kids whose parents work, so that they get attention and help with their work that they're not getting at home.

For a long time I have realized that this country pays lip service to their "most precious asset", children. We say that the children are our future and then pay teachers the least we can get away with. We take all the money from the schools and put it into other programs for wars, oil companies, pharmaceuticals and big corporate businesses and then wonder why the kids are so messed up. Just imagine what we could do with a mere fraction of the money spent on war if we turned it into the school systems throughout the country! We could turn it around in a second! But instead, we scrape every penny we can possibly get from the schools and leave them barely functional.

This shows me that we simply cannot depend on the government to educate our children. Period. That's why people who can't afford it have to stop having children. We're pumping out these kids into a system that can't take care of them. And a child, improperly attended, turns into a criminal at worst, an irresponsible angry adult at best.

Yes, we can try to get the government to straighten up its act, but good luck with that. We can't even get them to stop torturing and killing totally innocent people, how can we be expected to get them to give some of their military money to the children?

This is one reason I don't have children. This country is not a safe place for children. And this is why I strongly feel that the black community needs to take over the responsibility of this dilemma. NOT because they are at fault. NOT because they are asking for a handout or any of the other negative judgments. But because nobody else is going to. This country and the government is so messed up that the people no longer have any say in what the government does. We cannot help. We cannot redirect the war funds to the schools. Believe me, if we could, we would have already done that.

These are my thoughts...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Racial disparity in cancer rates and outcomes may be driven by genetics as well as socioeconomic factors, U.S. researchers say.Minorities are much more likely to develop and die from cancer than the general U.S. population, with previous research pointing to lack of health insurance, poverty, cultural barriers, and limited access to good medical care as causes.

"What is emerging now is a science of health disparities - biological factors, genetic factors that can enhance the aggressiveness of cancer are being documented," said Carlos Casiano, a professor in microbiology and molecular genetics at Loma Linda University in California. In another study, National Cancer Institute researchers compared variations in a gene responsible for a protein involved in inflammation and immunity in colon cancer patients and people without colon cancer.

They found that four of the variations were associated with a significant increase in colon cancer risk in African Americans, but not in Caucasians.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If we aren't going to devote ALL of the energy into the youth, where the problem is FIRST occurring, we are wasting our time and money. I don't support throwing money at a developed problem that's just going to keep occurring.

Good plan BH, however it would be much easier if we could get everyone to simply treat each other as they would a member of their own race, in every situation always. Sadly, that seems likely to fail, because racism even in its most subtle forms is contributing to the problem, and it compounds daily.

The problem is as much the past as the present, the history of racism has brought us to where we are today, and still today it exists, and as I said, subtle forms of racism, do as much harm as open racism. There are guilty parties in all races, however in white America, blacks tend to encounter racism far too often, and many who may not admit it take part in contributing to the problem.

None of us white folks can know what it is like, because we don't have to live as black in our world, but if we did, even for a day, we'd likely be shocked, and ashamed.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by UM_Gazz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join