It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to recover deleted files

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well last night i accidentally empty out my recycling bin, some of the files that were in there i did not want to be deleted. How to i get them back?

I have windows xp

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
First step, stop working on the hard drive immediately! Although the files you deleted still exists on the drive, editing newer files or installing programs will permanently overwrite the files you're trying to recover.

Close your computer, remove the hard drive and keep it away from children until you are ready to proceed with the recovery.

Boot your hard drive in slave mode from a different system with a data recovery tool installed, such as Ontrack EasyRecovery, or ERD Commander, just to name a few examples.

I don't know about freewares, a quick google search turned up PC Inspector, I've never used this one so I don't know what it's worth.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
exactly.

DONT SAVE ANYTHING ELSE!
You'll overwrite the sectors that have the files in them. I've you've already installed something else, or saved files, etc, it's probably already too late.

What you want to do is exactly as the person above said. You will want to place the jumper on the back of the hard drive to Slave, place it in another computer (WITH THE POWER OFF!) and then download a file recovery program onto that computer. You can then look through your original hard drive for your missing files and un-delete them.

Then move your hard drive back (remember to place it back to Master mode) and your files will be there.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This is just to add that I have used FreeUndelete some times and it works.

top topics

join