It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is an authentic video?...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hey all, I have posted a few replies to some threads on this forum, and I know respect is earned and not expected on this site in terms of opinions on relevant subjects,...

UFO videos have always facsinated me. I consider myself to be an open-minded person who likes to challenge what I call: "the limits of plausability". UFO videos are subject to the scrutiny of everyone, (including those not interested in the subject). That means that the spectrum ranges from those who want to believe, all the way to those who do not want to believe.

That being said, I consider myself in the group that wants to believe, but requires "plausible and logical proof"...unfortunately, in this modern age, with computer generated images flooding the internet, I am hard-pressed to find videos that fall into the category of "plausible and logical proof"...I am forced to ask myself: "what would constitute an "authentic video" of an extraterrestrial craft?

Every time a video shows up on the internet that is fuzzy, or a shaky camera or too far away, people say: "inconclusive, could be anything", or they have logical explanation for the image .

Every time a video shows up on the internet that is a steady, in-focus image, people say: "looks like CG"...

example:

s86.photobucket.com...

Sounds like a no-win scenario to me...

I bring this subject up because I would like to hear what would be considered "good criteria" on what would be an "authentic video" of an extraterrestrial craft...

I honestly believe that the only way the general public would accept the ET reality would be a scenario like the movie "Independence Day",... where every major city on the planet would have a 15 mile wide saucer hovering over it all all at the same time. Even then there would be people that would claim "mass hypnosis" or "mass hallucination".

Again, no-win scenario...

Here is an example of what I consider an "authentic video" of extraterrestrial craft:

www.coasttocoastam.com...

Here is an example of questionable video:

s86.photobucket.com...

I will not provide an example of obvious hoaxes...that, I fear, would start an endless debate...LOL

Thank you for responding to this thread if you do...

[edit on 15-4-2007 by coastlinekid]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think it is a fine line when it comes to videos.

Some videos have more credibility. For example the Nasa STS videos and such.

If a news crew were to capture an event unexpectedly it may get better attention.

If a major sighting occurs (Chicago O'Hare) and video is taken, it is more likely to be looked at seriously than a single person who provides a video that cannot be confirmed by anyone else.

I think people have to realize that photographing something like this is not easy.

Every video should be looked at, but also every story should be analyzed too.

When it comes to user videos, I believe the most important thing is to have something to reference the object in question to in frame.

For example a "UFO" in a basic blue sky or night sky with nothing to reference it to is pretty hard to believe. It could be of any size and any distance.

It also is not easy to shoot at night either. People have to realize that every day average users do not own expensive equipment.

Many serious sightings may be overlooked just because of bad equipment. It is a shame.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thank you Dulcimer for your response.

I agree that photographing strangeness in the sky is not easy.

I suppose my point is, is that of all the videos, photos, and stories told by people , taken as a totality... if just 1% of this total were authentic,actually less than 1%...just one incident, if it be a video, or a photo, or an eyewitness account, then "the jig is up" so to speak... the only way for the true skeptics to be correct is if 100% of videos, photos, and eyewitness stories were misidentified or hoaxed, then the debunkers win, hands down.... But all it takes is ONE video, photo, or story to be accurate and true, then we "believers" win...just one...the odds are in our favor...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think the only UFO that will be real will be the one that lands in a major city and the aliens arrive with the book "To Serve Man"

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a 100% authentic ufo video( according to me) would have:

1-a time code inserted in the video
2-an email address inserted at the begining or at the end of the footage to contact the guy...just in case i wanna gather more details of his video
3-a nice quality(no blocks or strange stuff in the pics=>...ex:aliens videos)
4-ufo sighting filmed until its end (ex: if the guy relates the ufo vanished at a very high speed>>>i wanna see this "taped", otherwise=>suspicious)
5-other things i forget

[edit on 15-4-2007 by themaster1]

[edit on 15-4-2007 by themaster1]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Thanx for the response themaster1,

I agree about seeing a video from beginning to end- man that would be refreshing!!

An e-mail address would be nice too, but I could see one being reluctant to do so, for various reasons... unless they created an address just for the "wacko" traffic that would ensue...lol. But any trail of authenticity would certainly be welcome.

Time code for sure...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
There are plenty of ways to create emails for free (msn,gmail etc)
No excuse for that

Also i didn't mention it but youtube help the fakers a lot with its bad compression system.

You've got a proof and wanna show to the world your ufo footage through a streaming video site?
Ok then go on blip.tv or get the f%*! out coz this is not good work

Plain & Simple

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Thanx themaster1 for exposing me to www.blip.tv,... cool site!!

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
As a rule of thumb about videos, you should ask yourself the following questions:

1) Who, exactly, took the video? If it's good ol' Mr. Anonymous, then throw it right in the trash.
2) Does it last more than 20 seconds. A nice, sharp video that lasts about 20 minutes sure helps its authenticity.
3) Did you see it on YouTube, or something similar, or was it on something like CNN, MSNBC, etc? If it's YouTube, throw it in the trash.
4) Are there other videos, photos, artifacts or ANY other things to back it up? No? Into the trash.
5) Are there any authorities (i.e., recognized scientists or government officials) who say it's authentic?
6) Is there any information about what happened after the video? What happened next? How did the video get from the dude's camera to your computer?

Now, of course, some video of a twinkly dot in a black sky may actually be of a real flying saucer flown by Aliens from Planet Gorkoin. But most people would agree that rather than instantly assume it to be authentic, it would probably make more sense to first assume that it's junk, then use reason and logic to determine its authenticity.

Some folks, however, would rather instantly assume that anything they see is real and get all wound up about it. They're idiots.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
That's a really difficult question. To determine the reality of an object can be biased by the viwer and the way it was filmed. E.g night vision instead of plain videos. If the video gets photoshopped somehow, its authenticity gets questioned and the fact that there would be a reason to do so.

new topics

top topics

join