It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon He3 questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Ive been hearing a lot about He3(if that's correct) that's been found on the moon, so i have a few questions.

am i right in thinking this He3 is only found on the moon, but not on Earth ?and if so does this counter the claim that the moon was part of the earth but during the formation of the solar system a chunk of the earth broke free and the moon is a result of this, as its not found on the earth ? but it is on the moon, or could the source of He3 be from a comet/meteor that struck the moon some time back in the past ?.

if seem confused because of what i just wrote, its because i am

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The origins of helium 3 on the moon has to do with the moon being bombarded with cosmic radiation. Helium is the second most common element in the universe and when it gets bombarded by the solar winds on the moon the Helium three isotope is formed.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Would it be realistic to think that one day we go to the moon to mine for it for some earthly need ? Or would it be used more to suport any moon base or space ambition's from the moon and beond ?
I guess what I am getting at is what makes this He3 any "better" then what we may have now at our fingur tips?

[edit on 11-4-2007 by WOGIT]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
So wouldnt the earths crust also get bombarded with the solar wind but less would actually reach the surface ? i know the earth as its magnetosphere but some radiation still gets through or so i believe.

i believe there was a documentary on UK TV the other day regarding this, does anybody know what it was called ?

[edit on 11-4-2007 by u4ria]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by u4ria
am i right in thinking this He3 is only found on the moon, but not on Earth?

There exists some He3 buried in sedimentary rock under the Ocean IIRC. There isn't a lot of it though. If we were to start mining the stuff on Earth, we would run out fairly quickly. On the moon there is tons of the stuff, due to no atmosphere being present(read Terapins post for why)

and if so does this counter the claim that the moon was part of the earth

Not necessarily. Moon rocks and Dust are still remarkably similar to that found on earth, theres just more Helium-3 and Titanium(and a few other assorted elements as well that are in either higher abundance or are rarer then on Earth).

[edit on 11-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Helium 3 (HE3) on earth is found in decommissioned nukes - ie very rare.

Scientists use Hydrogen in fusion reactor experiments (that only last a few seconds). These experiments generate a lot of energy BUT produce too much neutron radiation making the whole effort not worth it (unless you want to spend loads of money dieing)

Helium 3 is said to be an alternative - but you have to go to the moon to get it in any quantity. Mmmmmm Are not a load of countries going there soon?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Not necessarily. Moon rocks and Dust are still remarkably similar to that found on earth

Sorry Sardion2000 but the chemistry of the moon and Earth are far too disimilar. The moon is rich in rare earths metals and Titanium. Lunar soil is rich in Potassium, Rare earth metals and Phospherous whilst the rocks are depleted of Potassium and rich in Aluminum. Sodium is rare on the moon.

These concentrations are totally in conflict with the earth's chemistry. The ages of moon rocks are also far older.

new topics

top topics

join