It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51 (Longest Runway in the World)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So. check this out

Over the years, Area 51 has been classified as "not in service" or "abandoned USAF base"

Well i dont believe it. simply because they have spent alot of money extending the runway.And is now believed to be the longest runway on the planet.

But for what purpose?

Could they have extended the runway for terrestrial reasons?...or extraterrestrial reasons.

Here is a pic for those who havent seen The runway at Area 51.

They extended it over the dry lake bed in the past 5 - 10 years.

-Mayan

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
that is along run way they now say the base is used for new aircraft testing but as you say i think it is too for ET reasons

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The ET craft that we've seen videos of are capable of landing and taking off vertically. I doubt they would need a runway at all. The extra long runway is probably for our heavier test craft. BTW..you can see a plane poised on the west end of the runway extension ready for take-off.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I don't keep up with anything going on at Groom Lake too much anymore because all the 'cool' stuff is happening at Sandia or up in the extreme northeast part of Nevada.

I would guess that they now use Groom Lake as a 'false front' to take Senators, Congressmen, and military sycophants like Rush Limbaugh, on 'tours' to make them think they are getting the 'real scoop'. They swear them to secrecy and give them cool little Groom Lake badges maybe even show them some 'alien' hardware (you know, the 'off the record' razzle dazzle). Typical Military/Industrial Complex scam.

I thought 32L-14R was closed some years back.

As far as 'longest runway' in the world you would have to define whether or not you were talking about 'paved' runway or 'dry lake bed' runway or a combination of both.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why will this myth not die? Area 51 never had the world's longest runway.

According to Area 51 Standard Operating Procedures, Landing Area Rules, dated 1 December 1968, runway 14/32 was 8,625 feet long with a 6,000 foot asphalt extension to a concrete turnaround pad followed by another 5,000 feet of asphalt. The asphalt overrun was not lighted, and therefore not considered "remaining runway" during hours of darkness. That runway was built in 1960 for the A-12 OXCART program. The lakebed extension was a safety feature to prevent loss of a high-value asset.

In the Mid-1980s the runway was extended approximately 5,000 feet on its south end because the lakebed end became flooded during the wet months, so its total length was now about 13,625 ft plus the 11,000-foot overrun which was beginning to show the effects of age..

Runway maintenance costs began to outweigh the benefits of building a new airstrip. Construction of Runway 14L/32R began in 1991. The old airstrip became Runway 14R/32L. As the new airstrip approached completion, the north half of Runway 14R/32L was closed, along with the lakebed extension. At approximately 10,000 feet, the old runway was now the shortest airstrip at Area 51. Eventually it was closed altogether.

The new runway is about the same length as the main portion of the old runway, but does not have a lakebed extension.

As for the longest runway in the world, perhaps we should consider lakebed runway 17/35 at Edwards Air Force Base, with a length of 7.5 miles. It's not paved, but it certainly is long.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
thats only because edwards airforce base built that for the space shuttle re-entries.

Area 51 never had space shuttle landings there. So why the big ass runway? lol

must need a pretty huge plane to use all of that.

-Mayan

[edit on 4/11/2007 by Mayan2012]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
if a moderator wants to move this to the "Area 51 and Other facilities" Section pls go right ahead

-Mayan

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Could they have extended the runway for terrestrial reasons?...or extraterrestrial reasons.

Well, newer and faster planes may require longer runways? I mean, ordinary runways are also "too" long, but that is required should something happen on the plane. And if you have a fast plane, well, you would need a longer runway if something went wrong.

Besides, why would aliens use runways? If they travelled billions of lightyears to earth, surely they would have some kind of technology that enables them to land in a much more efficent way than human planes?

I would guess that they now use Groom Lake as a 'false front' to take Senators, Congressmen, and military sycophants like Rush Limbaugh, on 'tours' to make them think they are getting the 'real scoop'.

Or, they have the real stuff underground, with access to only some people. It would be quite pointless to tell every president to keep this secret. Less people who knows, the better.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Area 51 is a test facility for cutting edge aircraft designs. The runway is extra long so the test craft can lift off and fly at low altitudes and safely land in a moment's notice if needed. Many of the newer designs are quite unstable without the aid of computer stability controls.. while perfecting those controls you'd definitely want to be able to land in a hurry when things go sideways.

blueboy

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueBoy9
Area 51 is a test facility for cutting edge aircraft designs.

It used to be but not anymore. Cutting edge aircraft (they are not called aircraft anymore) are tested both at Sandia and in north east Nevada.

The runway is extra long so the test craft can lift off and fly at low altitudes and safely land in a moment's notice if needed.

Sheer, unadulterated poppycock. "Lift off and fly at low altitudes?" What comic books have you been reading?

Many of the newer designs are quite unstable without the aid of computer stability controls..

This quote would have been more timely 30 years ago.

while perfecting those controls you'd definitely want to be able to land in a hurry when things go sideways.

I would imagine that the controls would be perfected prior to the takeoff roll. But thats just a guess.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
One reason that they have the longest runway in the world is classified UASF fighters, like the SR-71 blackbird. The SR-71 blackbird is not classified anymore, and is also retired. It is not because of aliens, the UFO's that land virtically are probably VTOL USAF fighters that are in production.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by galm 1
One reason that they have the longest runway in the world is classified UASF fighters, like the SR-71 blackbird.

This thread is not even one page long so there is actually no excuse to not read through it all before posting.

Shadowhawk went into great detail about how the Groom Lake runway is NOT the longest runway in the world and why.

I was wondering if you read what he had to say?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
they are not called aircraft anymore

You've sure piqued my curiosity - what are they called these days?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I would imagine that the controls would be perfected prior to the takeoff roll. But thats just a guess

Well there was that F-117 (80-0785) crash where the controls were hooked up wrong.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev

they are not called aircraft anymore

You've sure piqued my curiosity - what are they called these days?

Yeah... I would also like to know what are they called... Nike-craft? Air-Nike? craft-a-air? Airship (I think this already exists)? Air-ship-craft? Really... I can go on and on.

As far as I know... it is called aircraft.

Aircraft (noun): A vehicle that can fly

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot

Well there was that F-117 (80-0785) crash where the controls were hooked up wrong.

Same thing with a blackbird. Doesn't seem like a long runway helped either of them unless you want to count ambulance travel time to scene of the accident.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_unraveller
As far as I know... it is called aircraft.

Aircraft (noun): A vehicle that can fly

Well. I guess that settles that. Thanks for the unravelling. Sheer genius.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

[Well. I guess that settles that. Thanks for the unravelling. Sheer genius.

Don't thank me... thank the dictionary...
and the internet.

Then what is it called... if it isn't called an aircraft? hmm.

Secretary of the Navy Donald C. Winter announced today the selection of USS Gerald R. Ford as the name of the first aircraft carrier in what will be the Gerald R. Ford class of carriers.
and

"I am honored to have the opportunity to name the first ship in the new class of aircraft carriers after this great sailor, this great leader, this great man.”

this is from www.defenselink.mil...

Eclipse names new suppliers for aircraft integration system

this is from albuquerque.bizjournals.com...

need I say more?

Is this one of those... "I know (or got evidence), but I'm not going to tell anyone (because of someone else's safety)" scenario again? hmm?

Thanks for the sarcasm. I needed a good laugh.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Originally posted by galm 1

classified UASF fighters, like the SR-71 blackbird.

Fighter ? WOW !!!

Young Paduwan, you have much to learn.

Learn the ways of the TRUTH.

Grinning,
Lex

Edit to add : It's USAF, not UASF.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by Lexion]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion

Young Paduwan, you have much to learn.

Edit to add : It's USAF, not UASF.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by Lexion]

since your so good at correcting peoples spelling i thought id pop in and correct your spelling of "paduwan"

Edit to Add : Its Padawan, Not Paduwan

-Mayan

[edit on 4/12/2007 by Mayan2012]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join